Windows 10: Recent Critical Update Windows 10 Failure - WINHTTP.dll

Discus and support Recent Critical Update Windows 10 Failure - WINHTTP.dll in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; No more ideas at this point. Unknowingly after a critical update, shutdown the computer holding the key down for fast shutdown. After it started up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JANSTIKLICKAS, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Recent Critical Update Windows 10 Failure - WINHTTP.dll

No more ideas at this point. Unknowingly after a critical update, shutdown the computer holding the key down for fast shutdown. After it started up the winhttp.dll was not found. Unable to start most programs, including start menu. Using Run; msconfig, I was able to access the tools menu. System Restore gave one option to restore from critical update 4/9. As it ran through process it came up unable to restore. I could not access this restore point again. There is no internet access due to this issue. Windows keeps looking for the data to complete the installation and seems to be stuck in a restart apply update loop. The missing files prevent my access to some of the internal Windows features that would normally correct the file integrity.

Timeline:

• 1 Shutdown caused file integrity issue on critical update. WINHTTP.dll Error
    • 2 Windows went into Auto Repair - Failed
    • 3 Verified all drives are healthy and Malware program found 0 issues. No Prior Issue to note. Files accessible.
    • 4 Unable to use Diagnostic Startup through msconfig. Reverts selection.
    • 5 Restore Point Prior to 4/9 Critical Update Failed after Restoral Process. Point not available now.
    • 6 Used Selective Startup and finally Safe Mode worked. Issue not corrected.
    • 7 Unable to close Windows Defender (in case preventing corrections)
    • 8 Advanced Menu Failure
    • 9 Command Prompt SFL /SCANNOW would not run file process.
    • 10 Used Command Prompt to shut down however blue screen failure “Restart Needed”
    • 11 Used F9 Ran Repair Failed wanted Start Disc.

:)

JANSTIKLICKAS, Apr 10, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Apr 10, 2019
  3. AsRock Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Apr 10, 2019
  4. Recent Critical Update Windows 10 Failure - WINHTTP.dll

Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, Apr 10, 2019
Thema:

Recent Critical Update Windows 10 Failure - WINHTTP.dll

1. Recent Critical Update Windows 10 Failure - WINHTTP.dll - Similar Threads - Recent Critical Update

2. Recent Update Failures - System critical

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent Update Failures - System critical: Hi, could someone from Microsoft please contact me by email at *** Email address is removed for privacy *** asap. Relating to security updates and system upgrade from yesterday, am using desktop W10 on a stable pc, and my last successful update was 10th Dec - KB4592438....
  3. Critical process failure

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Critical process failure: Bought a new cheap webcam and when i plugged it in i got kernel access error. Tried the normal method of updating windows to most recent version and got critical access failure on restart. Currently can't reset pc,sfc doesnt work, cant system restore, safemode leads to...
  4. update critical failure had to reinstall windows

update critical failure had to reinstall windows: After installing the July update. My computer lost the boot startup. stated no drivers found and no boot drive. I ordered a boot disk to see if i could salvage the computer. It would not load properly, I had to reformat the drive lost all my apps and system files, but got it...
  5. Critical Update Failure for Windows 10 Feature Updates 1809 and 1903.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Critical Update Failure for Windows 10 Feature Updates 1809 and 1903.: Hello there! Just over a week ago, I brought my current machine. It runs perfectly! Upon tying to play Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare/Warzone, I was told I needed to install the latest Windows 10 Feature Update. Much to my surprise, this failed and I haven't been able to...
  6. Critical Failurer after updating windows 10

Critical Failurer after updating windows 10: Hi, I hope someone can help. I am currently on windows 10 build 1803. I keep have a message to say my system is missing important updates, which fail when trying to download so I have to do a repair with downloading latest updates to get them to work. However, the...
  7. File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer recent failure after updates to Windows 10: Since a recent update use of File Explorer has become almost impossible - this is normally met with the words 'File Explorer is not responding'. This can occur when taking almost any action e.g. When highlighting even two files to copy them to USB. When trying to launch...
  8. CRITICAL SERVICE FAILURE Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CRITICAL SERVICE FAILURE Windows 10: HELP???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/critical-service-failure-windows-10/478e171c-9c69-4830-95ed-8f3932e1ee89
  9. Critical system failure Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical system failure Windows 10: I have got that message 3 times in 1 week asking me to reset my laptop every time some programs are missing it is always when I reboot or restart my laptop . Any idea why ? Thanks for any answer to solve it....
  10. Recent update failure

Recent update failure: Ever since July 10, 2018—KB4338819 (OS Build 17134.165) was installed the computer has been very slow to respond EVERYTHING is slower Programs fail to respond videos quit loading mid way thru VERY FRUSTRATING...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. download WINHTTP.dll instal