Windows 10: Recent Cumulative Update 2020-01 messed up my computer

Discus and support Recent Cumulative Update 2020-01 messed up my computer in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I ran the updates yesterday and when I restarted the computer Dell Inspirion was like it was starting with an all new Windows. I lost everything on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ComputerDumb_63, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Recent Cumulative Update 2020-01 messed up my computer

I ran the updates yesterday and when I restarted the computer Dell Inspirion was like it was starting with an all new Windows. I lost everything on my taskbar, my background, Edge and Chrome opened like they were brand new to the computer. I can't turn the sync settings on in Edge, it says "You are logged on with a temporary profile. Roaming options are currently unavailable" It seems like none of the Microsoft apps are working like the calendar, solitaire, etc. Please help. Thanks.

:)

ComputerDumb_63, Jan 15, 2020

2. 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892) - MS Surface 3

I have an MS Surface 3 (Not Pro) running Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, v1709 (Build 16299.15). When I search for updates, it wants to install 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892). It fails with Error
    0x80070002.

I tried manually downloading the Delta and Cumulative updates and installing manually, but they fail stating it is not for my system.

How can I either:

• Get this update to install, or
    • If it is not compatible, tell Update to not install it and ignore the update?

I have tried:

• Clearing the SoftwareDistribution folders and Catroot2 several times
    • Running the Windows Update troubleshooter
    • Every step in troubleshooting including try to run the Media Creation Tool
    • Factory reset, including deleting all files and apps
    After the Factory reset, updates applied but it again failed on 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892) with Error 0x80070002.

RobertBritton2, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Microsoft January 2020 Security Updates

Release Notes

January 2020 Security Updates

Release Date: January 14, 2020
    The January security release consists of security updates for the following software:
    • Microsoft Windows
    • Internet Explorer
    • Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office Services and Web Apps
    • ASP.NET Core
    • .NET Core
    • .NET Framework
    • OneDrive for Android
    • Microsoft Dynamics
    Please note the following information regarding the security updates:
    • For information regarding enabling Windows 10, version 1909 features, please see Windows 10, version 1909 delivery options. Note that Windows 10, versions 1903 and 1909 share a common core operating system with an identical set of system files. They will also share the same security update KBs.
    • Windows 10 updates are cumulative. The monthly security release includes all security fixes for vulnerabilities that affect Windows 10, in addition to non-security updates. The updates are available via the Microsoft Update Catalog.
    • For information on lifecycle and support dates for Windows 10 operating systems, please see Windows Lifecycle Facts Sheet.
    • A list of the latest servicing stack updates for each operating system can be found in ADV990001. This list will be updated whenever a new servicing stack update is released. It is important to install the latest servicing stack update.
    • Starting in May 2019, Internet Explorer 11 is available on Windows Server 2012. This configuration is present only in the IE Cumulative package.
    • Updates for Windows RT 8.1 and Microsoft Office RT software are only available via Windows Update.
    • In addition to security changes for the vulnerabilities, updates include defense-in-depth updates to help improve security-related features.
    • Note: Support for Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2008 ends January 14, 2020. For more information please see Lifecycle FAQ-Extended Security Updates.
    The following CVEs have FAQs with additional information and may include * further steps to take after installing the updates. Please note that this is not a complete list of CVEs for this release.
    Known IssuesThe following KBs contain information about known issues with the security updates. For a complete list of security update KBs, please see 20200114. For more information about Windows Known Issues, please see Windows message center (links to currently-supported versions of Windows are in the left pane).[table][tr]KB Article Applies To [/tr] [tr][td]4534271[/td] [td]Windows 10, version 1607, Windows Server 2016[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534273[/td] [td]Windows 10, version 1809, Windows Server version 1809, Windows 10, version 1809, Windows Server version 1809[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534276[/td] [td]Windows 10, version 1709[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534283[/td] [td]Windows Server 2012 (Monthly Rollup)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534288[/td] [td]Windows Server 2012 (Security-only update)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534293[/td] [td]Windows 10, version 1803, Windows Server version 1803[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534297[/td] [td]Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Monthly Rollup)[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534306[/td] [td]Windows 10[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]4534309[/td] [td]Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2 (Security-only update)[/td] [/tr] [/table]

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en...etail/2020-Jan

NICK ADSL UK, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Recent Cumulative Update 2020-01 messed up my computer

Windows 10 version 10.0.17763.195 not updating anymore since 2018-12 Cumulative Update, Troubleshooter failing to start

Hi Vijay, thank you for your quick reply.

As for step 1, I mentioned in the title that my troubleshooter is not starting at all.

Nonetheless, I ran successfully all the commands listed in step 2 and restarted my machine, but when I tried to run Windows Update it failed again, returning a different error for the Cumulative Update:

2019-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4480116)

Error 0x8007025d

MirrorMan92, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

Recent Cumulative Update 2020-01 messed up my computer

1. Recent Cumulative Update 2020-01 messed up my computer - Similar Threads - Recent Cumulative Update

2. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  3. Update messed my computer up!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update messed my computer up!: A couple of weeks ago windows did an update. When it did it made the whole system run extremely slow and sluggish. I did the trouble shooter thing and now I can not get to my pictures ,settings, email, microsoft store, pretty much everything. I right click on the start button...
  4. Update messed up my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update messed up my computer: After the latest update I woke up to find All but three Desktop icons and all my start menu Icons had disappeared,along with numerous programmes and apps not working, I spent a couple of days trying to rectify the problems, got one or two apps to work, then uninstalled the...
  5. Latest Update Messed Up My New Computer! [2020-KB4586876]

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Latest Update Messed Up My New Computer! [2020-KB4586876]: Possibly my fault? I note in the Prerequisites and Restarts Requirements section they note: "We recommend that you exit all .NET Framework-based applications before you apply this update." After playing some games I decided to check for any new updates and close down. It...
  6. Windows 10 update September 2020 messed up my computer.

Windows 10 update September 2020 messed up my computer.: My computer recently installed an update for windows 10. Since then it runs slow and several programs don't work properly. It takes about 20 seconds to open a simple jpeg. One of the most annoying things is that when I go to print something out, it doesn't print the right...
  7. 2020-01 Cumulative Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2020-01 Cumulative Update: I tried to install the update but when it was downloading it was stuck at "getting things ready - some percentage" for some minutes (I actually don't know how long a cumulative update takes to download, but it sure doesn't take long to get things ready). I even tried to...
  8. After recent update my computer is all messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After recent update my computer is all messed up: Right after the recent update my computer is slow to connect to anything and everything except for the internet, I now get frozen in games after several attempts of trying to launch the game and it takes 2 mins or more to connect to anything such as discord. Please help, I...
  9. The most recent update messed up my folders.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The most recent update messed up my folders.: submitted by /u/bitesizeboy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0184w/the_most_recent_update_messed_up_my_folders/
  10. update messed up my computer

update messed up my computer: I cannot describe with simple words how much I hate Windows 10, this last updated messed up my computer AGAIN to a degree my whole desktop Disappeared, all my pin apps are not any where I can find, It crashes and restart out of the blue when I am in the middle of call and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update messed up my computer 2020