Windows 10: Recent drop in File Copy Performance

Discus and support Recent drop in File Copy Performance in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm experiencing much slower speeds when copying files to one of my PCs. I've done a bunch of tests to narrow down the issue, but I have no idea how to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AQuestionOfSpeed, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Recent drop in File Copy Performance

I'm experiencing much slower speeds when copying files to one of my PCs. I've done a bunch of tests to narrow down the issue, but I have no idea how to fix it now that I've narrowed it down.

So I have two Windows 10 PCs, one with two USB3 raid5 devices attached to it for backup purposes, and a gigabit network connecting them. For ease of discussion I'll call them SOURCEPC and BACKUPPC. I regularly (every 2-4 weeks?) dump a large amount of video files from SOURCEPC to BACKUPPC - but today it's suddenly taking a huge dive in speed after transferring a couple large files.

This new speed issue only applies to one of the two external raids, so I'm not sure if it's a Windows Update that's screwed up the way the files are handled, or if it's an indication that one or more drives in the problem raid are going bad? They're by the same manufacturer but I think they use different drivers, so even though the issue only happens with one I can't be sure it's a sudden hardware issue. And the "bad" raid doesn't show any error lights or messages.

I've narrowed the problem down to the way Windows handles the file transfer - if I look at the Resource Monitor I can see Windows ("SYSTEM" PID 4) is still writing to multiple files for a significant amount of time after SOURCEPC has finished sending them. So over time they build up and once Windows is writing 5-10 files at once the RAID starts choking and the network speed drops from 70-120MB/s down to 5MB/s, making what should be a 10GB, 2-3 minute transfer take like 30 minutes.

So my second question, are these files actually done transferring within a second or two of when SOURCEPC thinks they're finished, or are they only done once Resource Monitor shows there's no data transferring to the files? Because on the "good" raid it kept writing data to 4 files for 30-60 seconds at about 13MB/s each (585MB out of 10GB?), and on the "bad" raid it kept writing about 7MB/s shared among a bunch of files for a whole 10 minutes (or roughly 4200MB out of 10GB)

Both of those numbers seem absurd to me, I knew transfers weren't instantly complete for USB drives, but even 30 seconds of data seems like a hell of a lot to be cached on BACKUPPC while telling SOURCEPC that the transfer is complete. Both USB drives are set to "Better Performance", not "Quick Removal".

The "bad" raid also has an additional section which the other doesn't have, "Write-caching policy". This has "Enable write caching on the device" turned on, and "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" turned off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I also tried disabling Microsoft Security Essentials, SysMain (previously called Superfetch), and Indexing, and reverting the Windows Update - none of those had any impact on the issue.

I also did a quick test from an internal hard drive to each of the USB raid boxes and the "good" one writes the entire amount at 50-200MB/s - the "bad" one starts writing at 100-200MB/s but quickly chokes after the 1-2GB transfers.

:)

AQuestionOfSpeed, Apr 15, 2019
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Apr 15, 2019
  3. temp02 Win User
    Java.nio.file - Copying files

You can't copy a folder, thats why it generates an exception (you are trying to copy a folder using a copy file function).
    You probably need to list all the files inside that folder and copy one by one

temp02, Apr 15, 2019
  4. Wozzer Win User

Recent drop in File Copy Performance

Java.nio.file - Copying files

Issue was the above, so thanks temp02.

Wozzer, Apr 15, 2019
Thema:

Recent drop in File Copy Performance

1. Recent drop in File Copy Performance - Similar Threads - Recent drop File

2. Weird Performance drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Performance drop: Hi, I've been playing on my laptop for about 2-3 years now and it didn't seem to have big performance issues. However, as it stands since a few weeks ago, the performance dropped in the device. I gave it to repair quite recently due to a short circuit, yet the GPU and CPU...
  3. Weird Performance drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Performance drop: Hi, I've been playing on my laptop for about 2-3 years now and it didn't seem to have big performance issues. However, as it stands since a few weeks ago, the performance dropped in the device. I gave it to repair quite recently due to a short circuit, yet the GPU and CPU...
  4. Sudden Pc Performance Drop

Sudden Pc Performance Drop: Hey,I used to Be able to Play Fortnite, Valorant, Gta V in mid settings without any slutter or FPS drop but nowadays whenever i try to play such titles my Game Sluttrers a lot even in the lowest possible settings, it gives fps but slutters a lot and i was also able to do...
  5. Weird performance drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird performance drop: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop. Even...
  6. Weird performance drop

Weird performance drop: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop. Even...
  7. Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped: Hi everyone,Several days ago I started having performance issues when ever I attempt to play games on my computer. The type of game doesn't really matter, it could be a triple A game or the equivalent of a mobile game, and I will have serious issues trying to play it. I'm...
  8. 99% drop in disk performance

99% drop in disk performance: I have a six month old HP laptop with a clean install of windows 10 updated to v.1903 (OS build 18362-356). It is updated to current. I have a pair of internal drives- one solid state system disk, and one internal SATA spinning disk from Seagate. I have downloaded Seatools...
  9. Drop in overall PC performance

Drop in overall PC performance: Hello So a while ago i had a problem where after a bluescreen, my pc refused to boot. I took it for repairs and i got told it was an electrical issue in the power box. It was replaced and i thought it was the end of it. But since then my PC's performance noticeably...
  10. Windows 10 = Performance drops

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 = Performance drops: Hi guys, I recently upgraded to windows 10 (Clean install) from windows 7 64-bit. I have a Geforce GTX 970 GPU, latest drivers, latest BIOS. In fact the computer isn't over 2 months old. However after upgrading to Windows 10, I have experienced substantial performance...