Windows 10: recent files and folders, quick access

Discus and support recent files and folders, quick access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; hello all, just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed. but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by williamwin10, Apr 7, 2019.

1. recent files and folders, quick access

hello all,

just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed.
    but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened are displayed when right clicking Adobe PDF, Word, Excel, ect ect on task-bar and also recent folders shown by right clicking file explorer also on task-bar.

i have enabled this setting in "windows explorer - folder options - recently used files in quick access and recently used folders" are both checked. have also tried scanning the integrity of system files using CMD all normal.

but whenever the system restarts or shutdowns i loose all this resent data.

Is there a setting to keep the recent flies from that display in the task-bar disappearing after system restart or shutdown?

or does anyone know a registry tweak to achieve this?

first time posting any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Will recent files and folders, quick access :)

:)

williamwin10, Apr 7, 2019
  2. ML_Tor Win User

Quick Access is missing "Frequent Folders" and "Recent Files"

Thanks for the explanation and sorting tips, ThePhinx. I'm now using the "Recent Items" workaround in my File Explorer jump list.

One thing that I hadn't realized was that the (now useless) "Recent Folders" entry pinned in the jump list is somehow linked to its instance pinned to the Quick Access list. Removing it from the jump list removes it from Quick Access, which is not what
    I intended. So I'll have to live with a non-working "Recent Folders" in my jump list, I guess.

It's somewhat annoying that I cannot reorder the jump list to move "Recent Folders" lower in the list. I want "Recent Folders" at the top of my Quick Access list, but at the bottom of my jump list. Windows does not seem to allow that.

ML_Tor, Apr 7, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to see files and folders under the Quick access section.

The Quick access section will show all the recent files accessed under the recent files section and the most recent folder on the left pane.

As per the screenshot provided by you, I can see that the options are already checked. I suggest you to click on the
    Restore Defaults button to restore the settings back to default and check if that helps.

You can also create a new user account and check if the options are working. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Also, I suggest you to run DISM command to check for system file corruptions and repair them. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run DISM scan:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      and press Enter.
    4. Restart the PC.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Apr 7, 2019
  4. recent files and folders, quick access

Quick Access Not Working

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Follow the below steps to repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Method 1:

Before repairing the database, try to disable and then re-enable Quick Access to see if it helps. To disable and re-enable Quick Access, follow the below steps:

Step 1: To remove frequent folders and recent files list from Quick Access, open File Explorer > click on View tab in Ribbon >
    click on Options > Change folder and search options to open Folder Options.

Step 2: You’ll have to uncheck the following two check-boxes present under the Privacy section to disable Quick Access:

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 3: Click Apply and Exit. The action will instantly remove these two sections from Quick Access in File Explorer. (To clear your Quick Access history press the ‘Clear’ button against Clear File Explorer History).

Step 4: Then, check
    the following two check-boxes again to enable Quick Access that you did in
    Step2.

• Show recently used files in Quick Access.
    • Show frequently used folders in Quick Access.

Step 5: Restart the PC once and check the issue and if the issue persist, follow the
    Method 2.

Method 2:

The Method 2 will repair the broken database of Quick Access.

Step 1: Open File Explorer and paste this folder path: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations in the address bar and hit Enter.

Step 2: Once the folder is opened, press ‘Ctrl’ key and the ‘A’ from your keyboard to select all of its contents and delete it.

Step 3: Do the same for this folder path as well: %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\CustomDestinations

Step 4: Restart the PC once and check the issue.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq Ali Khan

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

recent files and folders, quick access

1. recent files and folders, quick access - Similar Threads - recent files folders

2. Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Quick access - files and folders dropping from Quick access: I use Quick access a lot. I have a system on which I reloaded windows and the files and folders I pin to Quick Access drop off. I haven't been able to find a specific action I am taking that makes them drop off. Some time it takes a while a day and sometimes it is much...
  3. Quick Access & Recent files

Quick Access & Recent files: Hi i want to increase the number of "recent files" shown in the quick access function to more than 20, ideally 50. I don't want workarounds or rely on me pinning things, I just want to see more than 20 recent files. The current limit is a hindrance to my work as 20 files...
  4. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: The files do not show in quick access! whatever I try to go back to normal, it fails : Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthand press Enter. Restart the PC. ---> does not work. Whether I click or use "defaut parameters" the ticK will disappear...
  5. Increase number of recent folders in quick access

Increase number of recent folders in quick access: This seems to have been done to death over the years but the interest in pressing MS for an update has waned by the looks of it. I would encourage all interested users to post more regularly about this becasue for those who are file and folder users, this is an important...
  6. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  7. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  8. Win 10 Quick Access mixes frequent folders and recent files

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 Quick Access mixes frequent folders and recent files: Hello, I've learned to like the "Quick Access" feature of Win 10. Recently it has shown a strange trait. That is, instead of listing my "frequent folders" in a list in a pane at the top of the window and "recent files" in a pane at the bottom at the bottom of the window...
  9. File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes..

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Quick Access has Recent Folders pinned but it vanishes..: So File Explorer Quick Access shows Recent Folders, because I pinned it to be there: [img] But, when you go to "Save as" dialog box, Recent Folders inexplicably disappears from Quick Access: [img] Why is that? How can I fix it so that "Save as" and "Open" show...
  10. Recent file or folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent file or folders in Quick Access: I have browsed through Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials However it is not clear to me, how I may keep only the normal items, but not continually add "recent" items. Sorry if this seems a stupid thread, but...