Windows 10: Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Discus and support Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Normally in Windows 10, frequently-accessed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ColeNutella, May 6, 2020.

1. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Normally in Windows 10, frequently-accessed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example
    Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access 291bb837-219c-45ea-9cfb-257a8ba09266?upload=true.png

Mine, on the other hand, is missing the frequently used folders from both the pane and the full view. Like this:
    Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access 6a580ee4-2735-450e-8bce-a8181f5a395e?upload=true.png

This seemed to start happening around the time I started using a hard drive clone of my old one on an entirely new system. It affects all of my user profiles. Does anyone know what could be causing it?

:)

ColeNutella, May 6, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to see files and folders under the Quick access section.

The Quick access section will show all the recent files accessed under the recent files section and the most recent folder on the left pane.

As per the screenshot provided by you, I can see that the options are already checked. I suggest you to click on the
    Restore Defaults button to restore the settings back to default and check if that helps.

You can also create a new user account and check if the options are working. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Also, I suggest you to run DISM command to check for system file corruptions and repair them. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run DISM scan:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      and press Enter.
    4. Restart the PC.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 6, 2020
  3. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to accessing recent items that you have accessed on your PC.

Usually, when you access a file or folder on your PC it shows in the Quick Access menu as recent files.

However, if you are looking for the most recent files that you have accessed from the PC then the simplest way is to access the recent items using the run command.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      shell:recent
      and hit Enter.

This will open a window with all the recent items that you have accessed. You can also pin this folder in the Quick Access menu so that it will be easier for you to access once again.

Kindly follow the steps to pin the recent items on the Quick Access menu.

1. Right click on the Quick Access menu on the left hand pane.
    2. Select Pin current folder to Quick access.

Once you pin the folder you should be able to access the recent items. Refer the screenshot for more information.

Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access 1781d25f-24ba-4efc-a9ec-e4f310143276?upload=true.png

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, May 6, 2020
  4. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Ok, this is driving me mad.

Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.)

Now there is the Quick Access menu, which performs a somewhat similar function, but very, very poorly.

Here's what was good about the Recent Places:

• As soon as I used a folder, it was available in recent places
    • As soon as I used a FILE, it was available in recent places
    • Recent Places was always available - in searches, in context menus and in Save As
    • When I was working in three different applications (say, creating a graph in Excel, image-editing it in Illustrator then dropping it into PowerPoint) I was instantly able to access the place I had saved it in each application, because saving the Excel file
      triggered that folder to appear in Recent Places.
    • I could also open a file in a different application (save it in Gimp and then open it in Photoshop) by finding the file in the recent places folder.

Here's what doesn't work about the Quick Access menu

• It does not automatically add the folder to the window until it has been used a certain number of times.
    • This is hopeless, because if I need to access the folder, say, 5 times between my three applications, then by the time the folder is in Quick Access I NO LONGER NEED IT! I need the same folder immediately after I have used it, not 25 minutes later when
      the system realises "hey - you seem to use that folder a lot".
    • It does not keep files - only folders.

What I want to happen

• 10 out of 10 solution: I want the old system back.
    • 9 out of 10 solution: Quick Access tracks files and folders and immediately adds them when saved
    • 8 out of 10 as a workaround. Even if files can't get to Quick Access, it would be great to be able to tweak the algorithm that gets a
      folder into the Quick Access location. The sensitivity for getting a folder into Quick Access should be settable, even with just two settings: "place folders in Quick Access immediately when used" and "Place folders in Quick access when used
      often."

Please please please return this functionality. It was a major, major timesaver, particularly when working at the end of a long folder path.

RobbityBobbityBoo, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

1. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access - Similar Threads - Recent folders longer

2. Recent folders stopped showing under the Quick Access tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recent folders stopped showing under the Quick Access tab: Hey, everyone!My Quick Access tab stopped showing the recent folders as usual. Yesterday, I did some junk file cleaning on my PC I used Total PC Cleaner and CCleaner and I believe that's what caused this.I have checked the option for Quick Access and both recent files and...
  3. Recent folders stopped showing under the Quick Access tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent folders stopped showing under the Quick Access tab: Hey, everyone!My Quick Access tab stopped showing the recent folders as usual. Yesterday, I did some junk file cleaning on my PC I used Total PC Cleaner and CCleaner and I believe that's what caused this.I have checked the option for Quick Access and both recent files and...
  4. Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer & Quick access showing recent not frequent folders: So i've spent a loooooong portion of my windows tenure with jumplists & recents turned off. no use for them. decided to give them a try and finding some functionality broken/not working. I can get both quick access and the taskbar jumplist to populate with recents but...
  5. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: The files do not show in quick access! whatever I try to go back to normal, it fails : Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealthand press Enter. Restart the PC. ---> does not work. Whether I click or use "defaut parameters" the ticK will disappear...
  6. Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access

Recent folders no longer showing up in quick access: Normally in Windows 10, frequently-viewed folders will show up under the pinned ones in Quick Access, like this not actually my PC, just an example [ATTACH] Mine, on the other hand, is missing the frequently used folders from both the pane and the full view. Like this...
  7. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  8. recent files and folders, quick access

recent files and folders, quick access: hello all, just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed. but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened are displayed when right clicking Adobe PDF, Word, Excel, ect ect on task-bar and also recent folders shown by right...
  9. Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access: Hello after recent problems with my windows updates my qucik access got all weird. My recently opened/frequently used files or not showing on the left side unless pinned (which I don't want to do with some). I do have activated the "show recent files" as you can see in my...
  10. Recent file or folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent file or folders in Quick Access: I have browsed through Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials However it is not clear to me, how I may keep only the normal items, but not continually add "recent" items. Sorry if this seems a stupid thread, but...