Windows 10: Recent items not showing in quick access or start list

Discus and support Recent items not showing in quick access or start list in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I've only just upgraded to windows 10, so still getting to grips. I have the recent items option enabled in both the quick access panel... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pennywhistle, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Recent items not showing in quick access or start list

Hi there,

I've only just upgraded to windows 10, so still getting to grips. I have the recent items option enabled in both the quick access panel and jump lists, but they're appearing in neither. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks

:)

pennywhistle, Nov 26, 2015
  2. BillLipe Win User

Recent Items on Start Menu in Windows 10

I have found that there is a line in File Explorer that is like the old Recent Items list.

It is called Quick Access.

Look for it at the top of the file list on the left side, it has a blue star next to it.

It displays Frequent Folders as well as Recent Files.

When you 'right-click' the Quick Access line you can click Pin To Start.

After pinning it to the Start Menu it will be near the bottom of the list of Apps.

I did a 'click and hold' while dragging it to the top of the Apps list.

I then 'right-clicked' the Quick Access button/icon and clicked 'Resize" and clicked 'small'.

This shows up as a small blue square with a star in it.

Just click the star and there are your recently accessed items along with frequently used folders.

BillLipe, Nov 26, 2015
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Nov 26, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Recent items not showing in quick access or start list

dalchina, Nov 28, 2015
  5. OK, so I had misunderstood - I was expecting an actual recent items item on the start menu like we used to have in windows 7 that shows all recent items rather than lists for individual programmes. I guess this is what you get in the in the quick access option, but that means you have to open a file explorer window, then quick access to get to it, whereas previously you could click on start and hover over recent items for a complete list. Also I don't get jump lists for all the programmes I keep on the taskbar, only some of them. It just seems like windows 10 makes a lot of things a click or two further away than it used to be and therefore less easy to use - put me right if I'm mistaken.

pennywhistle, Nov 29, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi
    Jump Lists
    You might want to experiment with right clicking items on the taskbar.

Recent Items (rather than programs) in Win 10 start menu
    As far as I know this is not present. Hint: it is in Classic Shell (!)

Start Menu
    It seems to me that where in 10240, there was a popup list of recently accessed files associated with each desktop program, post TH2 you now have to right click the program. (But I don't use Win 10's start menu normally).

That's consistent with rt click for jump lists on the taskbar, I suppose.

To me, the Win 10 start menu is useless-it's not intuitive, accessible, usable. It renders my traditional start menu as a linear list below the top level folders- all subfolders are removed and the contents organised alphabetically, so under All Apps I might read
    Help
    Help
    Help

or
    Readme
    Readme
    Readme

- all from different programs.

Classic Shell - a Win 7-like XP-like optionally expanding start menu with search is very much my preferred option.

Explorer - they've gone to town on Quick Access here, but I dislike seeing the bulk of the pane dominate by this as the default arrangement. But that's a list of files and folders recently accessed. (If I want recent items, I prefer to use another method so I can click and get a drop-down list. E.g. Listary (3rd party program)).

dalchina, Nov 29, 2015
  7. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Nov 29, 2015
  8. Recent items not showing in quick access or start list

Thanks for both your replies, really helpful - I shall do some experimenting and I suspect I shall go for Classic Shell for the Start Menu - thanks for that tip Dalchina, and I've already added a recent items icon to the task bar which is great, so thank philc43 for that.

Much happier bunny now!*Biggrin

pennywhistle, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Recent items not showing in quick access or start list

1. Recent items not showing in quick access or start list - Similar Threads - Recent items showing

2. Items pinned to Quick access are showing twice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Items pinned to Quick access are showing twice: Items pinned in quick access recently stopped appearing on the sidebar under Home. Instead, they appear in this block on the left. For a brief time they actually appeared in the old location as well, but now they only appear in this block.I like Quick access, and just want...
  3. Items pinned to Quick access are showing twice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Items pinned to Quick access are showing twice: Items pinned in quick access recently stopped appearing on the sidebar under Home. Instead, they appear in this block on the left. For a brief time they actually appeared in the old location as well, but now they only appear in this block.I like Quick access, and just want...
  4. Recent Items List incomplete

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Items List incomplete: The Recent Items list in Windows Explorer is often incomplete, only showing 15 or so items when I know there should be 50. The list is missing all items accessed prior to 2:42 PM. Nothing happened today, such as a Windows update, although I did shut down the PC and restart...
  5. Enabling the Quick Access Recent Documents List

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling the Quick Access Recent Documents List: My list of Recent Documents is not showing up in either my Task Bar or Start Menu. I have opened Word Options / Advanced, and selected to display 10 recent documents, but they're not showing up. They used to show up, but suddenly not anymore. My Excel still shows its...
  6. Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to show recent items as a list in start menu?: The same way recently added items are shown (or any other way that isnt just a shortcut)? I have the same question for the left pane in file explorer. Is it possible to show a list like quick acess with only recent items? I know quick access can show them too. Im just...
  7. Recent items list not updating

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent items list not updating: I'm not sure what happened, possible one of Microsoft's updates. Since September 22, my recent items list has not updated but the last update is dated September 19th, 3 days earlier, so perhaps that's not it. Since I use it frequently to access files that I'm using often...
  8. Increase recent items list

in Windows 10 Customization
    Increase recent items list: I would like to increase the size of the recent items list. I find this recommendation in several p0laces: Note: By default 10 most recent items are shown in Jump List for any application. You can however, change the number from default 10 to something else. How to change...
  9. Restore recent folders to quick access, including list of 4 recent

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore recent folders to quick access, including list of 4 recent: Hello, The recent folders have disappeared from my quick access menu. I came across some threads that explain how to restore the recent folders shortcut to the quick access menu - this worked. However, before it disappeared, there was a list of the 4 most recent folders...
  10. Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Recent Items Jump Lists in Start but not on the taskbar?: Alright, so in Windows 10 there is the option in Settings under Personalization > Start called "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar". Enabling this turns on Recent Items on programs in the Start menu and on the right-click menu on programs on the...