Windows 10: Recent major update issues

Discus and support Recent major update issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; MS recently did a major update for windows 10 on my Surface pro 6. I dread these, for good reasons. Just when I get it operating decently, MS does a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by L Wad2, Sep 6, 2019.

1. L Wad2 Win User

Recent major update issues

MS recently did a major update for windows 10 on my Surface pro 6. I dread these, for good reasons. Just when I get it operating decently, MS does a major update and hoses it up. Issues I am having now.

1) Return of the old issue, Micro SD card dismounting. I had this fixed previously, but now it is back, and the same steps I used to fix it before does not work. The steps were to delete the driver, let windows install the generic driver, and after a restart, roll back the driver to the generic. It does not work as the generic driver appears to be gone.

2) External USB drive dismounts periodically. This is a new issue, I have not had this before.

3) Power plan settings do nothing. I have it set to never sleep or hibernate when on external power, but it sleeps anyway. Very annoying that it will not do what I tell it to do.

Any assistance with these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

L

:)

L Wad2, Sep 6, 2019
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Sep 6, 2019
  3. Erik Win User
    Is it possible to prevent Windows to reset many system settings to default after a major update (Fall Creators Update)?

I recently installed the Windows 10 Creators Update on many of my PCs, and as with previous "major" update releases, I noticed that many of the system settings, including things like:

• Energy options in device manager ("allow device to wake the computer from sleep"
      re-enabled for mice and keyboards which is annoying because I
      intentionally turned these off)
    • basic mode of displaying the taskmanager and many more get reset to
      their defaults.

Since major updates are coming approximately twice a year, I was wondering: why does Windows do that, and is there a way to turn this behavior off? It is especially annoying if you install a computer for a novice user, and after an update you have to redo all these customization steps again.

On the other hand, many things like explorer settings stay the same, for example things like "show hidden files" or "show file extensions".

So the main questions are:

• which settings are reset after an update, and what's the criteria behind that selection, where others aren't?
    • is there a list of the things that are reset during a
      major update for reference?

Erik, Sep 6, 2019
  4. Recent major update issues

Recently used items does not show after a recent Windows update

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

1) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

2) Did you check if similar issues occur when logged in to the computer using a different user account?

3) Do you have any system restore point set prior to the issue?

To check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

4) What is the particular Windows update you are referring to?

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
      Recent major update issues Windows_Key.png
      +
      I.
    • Click/tap Change PC settings.
    • Click on the Update and recovery and click on the View your update history.
    • You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
      "Successfully installed on (date)" links

As an initial step towards troubleshooting, I suggest you to check if the 'recently used item' feature is hidden. If yes, uncheck the options. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Properties.
    • Select the tab Start Menu.
    • Uncheck both the options for:

1) Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu

2) Store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Task Bar
    • Also select a higher number recent items to display in Jump List

If the above does not apply, please follow the below suggested methods and check in case if it is a functionality issue in Windows.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 6, 2019
Thema:

Recent major update issues

1. Recent major update issues - Similar Threads - Recent major update

2. Major Issues With Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Major Issues With Windows 10 Update: I've tried what seems like everything and nothing has worked. My Windows REFUSES to update and I have no idea what could be wrong. When I run sfs scan it says I need to restart my pc so Ill do that but it just says it again after; It gives me this error notification when I...
  3. Major Issues With Windows 10 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Major Issues With Windows 10 Update: I've tried what seems like everything and nothing has worked. My Windows REFUSES to update and I have no idea what could be wrong. When I run sfs scan it says I need to restart my pc so Ill do that but it just says it again after; It gives me this error notification when I...
  4. Recent Windows 10 updates causing major usb issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recent Windows 10 updates causing major usb issues: Hi all, I have a Windows 10 Pro laptop and I recently installed some updates which, since then, have been causing major usb issues. I've had 2 USB flash drives and a USB external HD not work properly. In all 3 cases, when I try to copy data back and forth or, in the case of...
  5. Major problems after recent LAN-related updates.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Major problems after recent LAN-related updates.: The two LAN-related updates this week caused my new desk top to run slower and slowed until freeze up. Browser windows loaded sometimes minutes after clicking and printer. After some time all browsers would freeze to a white screen. Reboots worked long enough to get browsers...
  6. Windows Update major issues

Windows Update major issues: Hi, I made the mistake of installing the latest major Windows update and it caused major issues with my computer. After restarting my machine for the first time after the update, certain apps refused to work ( such as: Discord, Minecraft, Windows Store) as well as certain...
  7. Major issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Major issue: I experienced a blue screen last week which My laptop had to restart, since then when I try to open certain programs I get C:\windows\system32\dhcpcsv.dll is either not designed to run on windows or its contains an error. Error status 0xc0000006, plus my WiFi network...
  8. Recent major Windows ten update broke the os

Recent major Windows ten update broke the os: During a recent Windows update when it begins to restart the PC, after installing components, on re-boot it displayed an error message "Missing Operating System". System repair didnt work, backup and recovery didnt work, recorver from a system image didnt work all error...
  9. Major issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Major issues: Hey guys, so I am only 15 so I am not the best with computers, but I am pretty good. So I've had so many issues with this thing its unreal. Probs had to reset from scratched about 5-7 times so far. So, when i first got it reset this time, everything was great, then my...
  10. Recent update in Windows 10 caused major problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent update in Windows 10 caused major problems: I upgraded to windows 10 and for a couiple of days everything was fine then i had an automatic update and thats when my problems started. I know one of the reasons Windows 10 is free is to get everyone on Windows Edge the stupid thing is since the update i cant get on Windows...