Windows 10: Recent Patch Problem - No Icons on Desktop - How do you fix this?

Discus and support Recent Patch Problem - No Icons on Desktop - How do you fix this? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; It might be a recent patch, but not certain. Desktop link in C:\ProgramData seems to be broken. Checking the link points to C:\Users\Public Desktop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Tae Song, May 11, 2019.

1. Tae Song Win User

Recent Patch Problem - No Icons on Desktop - How do you fix this?

It might be a recent patch, but not certain.

Desktop link in C:\ProgramData seems to be broken. Checking the link points to C:\Users\Public Desktop

Clicking on link "C:\ProgramData\Desktop is not accessible. Access is denied." Checking properties doesn't show link location, had to check in Command Prompt.

All the other links (under C:\ProgramData) also seem to be broken:

Application Data

Documents

Start Menu

Templates

Not sure why it's having problem showing icons from C:\Users\user\Desktop though... it's not a link.

I am noticing Desktop is composed of two folders: Desktop in C:\ProgramData\Desktop (C:\Users\Public Desktop) and C:\Users\user\Desktop

Are you using too many links? It looks like it needs reviewing and definitely some trimming.

Other Issue:

Also there are two desktop.ini files on Desktop. This might need reviewing. It might be extremely archaic, once you review it. What are they used for these days?

You might simply install shortcuts to all accounts. Most systems are single user even though supports multiple accounts. Maybe you should review how programs are installed and handled on multiple account.

:)

Tae Song, May 11, 2019
  2. Robert11 Win User

eDellRoot Certificate Problem: Patch Available To Fix It Now ?

Hi,

The Patch you suggested worked well, and fast.
    Sure a lot easier than following 17 steps !

Any idea when the new Patch for the new problem will be available ?

Will it be posted here ? Where ?

Thanks again for all the help,
    Bob

Robert11, May 11, 2019
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, May 11, 2019
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Problem with desktop icons

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This issue could be caused if the Desktop Icons are hidden.

1. May I know, if you are aware of any recent changes made to the system after which you are facing this issue?
    2. Which version and edition of Windows is installed on the computer?

I suggest you go through this articleShow, hide, or
    resize desktop icons
    follow the steps, if the icons are hidden, you should get it back.

If you want to pin any icon to desktop you can check

Pin apps and folders to the desktop or taskbar
    and you can easily access them from the desktop screen.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, May 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Recent Patch Problem - No Icons on Desktop - How do you fix this? - Similar Threads - Recent Patch Problem

2. How do you change the colour of icon highlights on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you change the colour of icon highlights on the desktop?: I'd like to know how to change the colour of a selected icon highlight on the desktop, because otherwise it's always light blue no matter what colours you choose in the personalisation settings.I know it means editing the registry which I've tried already, but I've only...
  3. How do you change the colour of icon highlights on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the colour of icon highlights on the desktop?: I'd like to know how to change the colour of a selected icon highlight on the desktop, because otherwise it's always light blue no matter what colours you choose in the personalisation settings.I know it means editing the registry which I've tried already, but I've only...
  4. How do you change the colour of icon highlights on the desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I fix this desktop/icons issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix this desktop/icons issue?: I restart explorer.exe, then my desktop/icons look like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-this-desktopicons-issue/0d95ed22-4040-4d8c-9154-b6e4c626e96f
  6. How do I fix this desktop/icons issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix this desktop/icons issue?: I restart explorer.exe, then my desktop/icons look like this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-fix-this-desktopicons-issue/0d95ed22-4040-4d8c-9154-b6e4c626e96f
  7. How do I fix this desktop/icons issue?

8. How do you fix the No Internet, Secured problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you fix the No Internet, Secured problem: My hotel internet randomly drops for 3-5 hours into an No Internet, Secured state. Ive tried reinstalling the network adapter driver, disabling network sharing, enabling network sharing, running CMD commands to reset Winsock and IP stack and TSP, Running trouble shooter,...
  9. How do you save your desktop icon placement?

How do you save your desktop icon placement?: It's been a while but has happened twice in the past couple weeks that my desktop icons were rearranged, one was due to a recent windows update I read, and that one removed some, if not all, of my icons, I don't remember exactly. And just a day or 2 ago my icons were randomly...
  10. how do you change the size of icon on the desktop

how do you change the size of icon on the desktop: change icon size on desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-change-the-size-of-icon-on-the-desktop/ee4e2c6e-9c67-4c56-92dc-4b6da249cd49