Windows 10: Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this...

Discus and support Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I spoke to a technical assistant today under case ref: 1467036964. He asked me to try as a different user then we got disconnected so i'm left... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Igorrz, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Igorrz Win User

Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this...

Hello,

I spoke to a technical assistant today under case ref: 1467036964. He asked me to try as a different user then we got disconnected so i'm left in the dark.

I recently upgraded my outdated computer. I changed the following components; CPU, Motherboard, Ram & added an m.2 drive.

Before I upgraded my windows was fully activated.

I created a bootable ISO before starting using windows media creation tool and installed windows on the m.2 drive. Copied over all my important files and nuked my old OS disk to repurpose.

I've done this many times in the past as I always build my own hardware and upgrade and sometimes you need to run the "I changed my hardware wizard" to transfer it over if more than 2/3 components have been changed (or unplugged and plugged back in..).

However today, (and yesterday) I am unable to activate windows 10 Pro, Run the troubleshooter, It tells me it wasn't able to activate windows on this device.. I click "recently changed hardware on this device" but the page does not load anything and I cannot progress.

The engineer who was remotely connected to my pc for over an hour stated that I need my original windows 7 pro license key from before I upgraded to windows 10.. (this is probably over 15 years ago now since I purchased it and I don't have it.. regardless once they moved to digital licenses they state that the key is no longer required so I probably discarded it).

Anyway I attempted as a different user and got a litter further however after entering my Microsoft account details I receive an error message saying that somebody else is already using the account (I assume me as my normal account??).

Not sure where to go from here, I just want to get windows activated so I can start using my new PC!

Screenshots below;

Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this... 13cce4b0-6403-476e-9546-8486dd4a2083?upload=true.png Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this... 7d71e4b0-f709-4c74-a13e-aaffa688811e?upload=true.png

:)

Igorrz, Mar 27, 2019
  2. NicG1 Win User

Recent Hardware Change

I recently changed some of the hardware in my PC and now my product key isn't active anymore. I have tried the steps that microsoft offers to fix the issue but my PC cannot identify my product key prior to the hardware change. I cannot call microsoft because
    I am living in Japan, and microsoft japan doesn't have an english option. Is there a way to talk to microsoft directly other than the automated chat or the toll line which i cannot call from japan?

NicG1, Mar 27, 2019
  3. Epsynus Win User
    Unable to activate windows after a hardware change

Hello.

I changed my hardware today and when I logged back into windows it was unable to activate windows.

I got my license key tied to my Microsoft account so what I did was this:

1. Went into activation in settings.

2. Hit "Troubleshoot".

3. "I changed hardware on this device recently".

4. It comes up with my current PC and my old PC.

5. I hit "This is the device I'm currently using right now and Activate.

6. "Unable to activate Windows, we can't activate reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

So I am stuck, please advise what my next step should be.

Epsynus, Mar 27, 2019
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this...

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

1. Recent PC upgrade - Unable to activate windows using "I recently changed hardware on this... - Similar Threads - Recent upgrade Unable

2. Recent PC upgrade is unable to reactivate windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recent PC upgrade is unable to reactivate windows: I built a new PC and moved my SSD from the old PC to the new one to avoid re installing windows, however when I go to reactivate windows it has already been reactivatedI bought the copy of windows 10 new for the old PC and it has only been on that PC until now. I have also...
  3. Recent PC upgrade is unable to reactivate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recent PC upgrade is unable to reactivate windows: I built a new PC and moved my SSD from the old PC to the new one to avoid re installing windows, however when I go to reactivate windows it has already been reactivatedI bought the copy of windows 10 new for the old PC and it has only been on that PC until now. I have also...
  4. Recent PC upgrade is unable to reactivate windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. So i recently changed my hardware completely and windows will not activate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    So i recently changed my hardware completely and windows will not activate: I had win 10 education edition , i got it in 2016. i put in the code , it gets accepted , then soon there is an error stating i cant activate windows. any suggestions?...
  6. Activation of Windows Pro after recent Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation of Windows Pro after recent Hardware Change: Recently changed hardware motherboard and processor from AMD to INTEL and I am having trouble activating my OS. I already unlinked my previous AMD Hardware...
  7. Recently changed Hardware, unable to re-activate Win 10

Recently changed Hardware, unable to re-activate Win 10: I recently upgraded my old Mother board for an MSI X570 chipset as well as a new CPU and Memory and due to this my windows has become un-activated. I tried to re-input my Activation key to trying the troubleshooter as it mentions to do in this link...
  8. Windows 10 not activating after recent Hardware Change???

Windows 10 not activating after recent Hardware Change???: I have made a recent hardware change motherboard, cpu and I found out you can transfer Windows 10 Digital License with your Microsoft Account. Before I physically made the hardware change I made my Microsoft Account link with my Windows 10 like told from your forums....
  9. recently changed hardware need to re-activate windows

recently changed hardware need to re-activate windows: i have my product key, but i forgot to link my windows 10 to my hotmail account, and the activation isnt registering my product key for some reason, other than putting my motherboard back into my system and then linking windows 10, if that would even work, what else can i do?...
  10. i recently changed hardware and i cant activate windows 10

i recently changed hardware and i cant activate windows 10: so i recently just changed hardware on my computer and i have that annoying "activate windows" watermark i have tried going into the settings and troubleshooting it and all it says is "we weren't able to activate windows on this device" and then there's a button at the...