Windows 10: Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons

Discus and support Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, So I've been using Windows 10 for about a week, everything was positive, until today. I downloaded the OS a good few weeks before I installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Shola, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Shola Win User

Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons

Hi,

So I've been using Windows 10 for about a week, everything was positive, until today. I downloaded the OS a good few weeks before I installed it so I'm not sure how up-to-date it was, however it's just completely updated itself (I'm not sure which build it is, or which build it was). So much has changed its like having a whole new OS to get used to all over again, perhaps not unexpected with previews.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem quite as user-friendly and tidy as it did before. To start with a large and obstructive search bar was added to the task bar, but this was easy to remove. More annoyingly the icons on the task bar are now ugly and small with no obvious way to change them, the icons in the tray area now look like they belong on a phone, and theres an un-moveable notifications icon that I can seem to hide or get rid of.

Most annoyingly of all the start menu has been ruined. Before the update there had been a neat, tidy and functional start menu, where the 'apps' section resized itself or even disappeared to fit the apps you put in it. Now it just sits there, massive, one block of ugly, oversized colour. Also the old start menu functions gone, replaced by 'places' and 'most used', not too different and probably easy enough to get used to. Its the large ugly app section that I can get past. Before the update it was so good, how can it be so poor now?

The search function now searches the web with bing (shudder) rather than just searching locally, which is a little unhelpful, I liked being able to just search locally with it, if I wanted to search the web I'd just open the browser.

I realise that everyone might not agree with me here but I can't help feeling a little disappointed with this update. I'm sorry if this comes across as an overly negative first post, for the most part I like Windows 10, especially before the update, its just disappointing to have such useful functionality taken away.

Does anybody know a way to get the older more functional start back, or to resize the apps section?

Apologies if something like this has been posted elsewhere, I haven't had chance to look through all the different forum sections yet.

:)

Shola, Mar 29, 2015

2. How to launch an installed app outside of Store

(You find it from recently added programs from the start menu) right click on the icon>more >pin to taskbar.

Or other method: right click on the icon> pin to start>right click on the pinned icon from the start menu>more>pin to taskbar

If you not have a icon on the start menu try the following : use the cortana search bar enter the text Windows Scan>right click>pin to taskbar.

Regards.

IT Guy Viki, Mar 29, 2015
  3. Having trouble with Win 10

I recently updated to Windows 10 and I can't open the start menu or right click on anything in the taskbar, plus I can't open the sound icon, notifications icon, and sound icon. Lastly I can't find powershell anywhere

PetroMan222, Mar 29, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

It's not finished yet....

Mystere, Mar 29, 2015
Thema:

1. Recent Update to the start menu and taskbar icons - Similar Threads - Recent Update start

2. win10 recent update caused black screen with cursor but no icons or start menu.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 recent update caused black screen with cursor but no icons or start menu.: I can do safe mode and command prompt. After troubleshooting awhile it just goes straight into repair mode but offers nothing that works. No rollbacks work. Ran chkdsk but couldn't transfer the log to view. Ran sfc scannow but stopped with error of can't perform...
  3. win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 recent update caused black screen with no icons or start menu.: I can do safe mode and command prompt. No stock rollbacks work. Not rollbacks of features, blahblah. Not ever restore. I want to re-download windows 10 but not lose my data. is that possible? I have the usb bootable drive ready but don't know what to do with it!...
  4. Unable to click on taskbar/start menu icons

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to click on taskbar/start menu icons: This is an odd problem, but it seems there are moments when I cannot click on my taskbar/start menu. When hovering over the icons, they aren't highlighted. I'm unsure if this is a problem with my mouse (I use a Logitech G502), but it seems that I can temporarily click on...
  5. Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu Icons not sorting recent Apps icons: Hello! My newly installed apps icons not showing ON TOP to start, only sorting alphabetically... Figured out this problem happening from this morning... tried to change some settings on 'Start' but not working, Please Help !! here is the picture[ATTACH]...
  6. Start Menu and Taskbar icons are not clickable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start Menu and Taskbar icons are not clickable: Hi, please am having issues with my pc start menu, search bar and all the taskbar icons, after i update the windows 10. The start menu windows button is not working and all other taskbar icons. some settings like windows security and account settings are not working also....
  7. Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recent update: Start menu not working, taskbar icons/clock/volume gone: After a recent compulsory update (13th Dec) to Windows 10, my start menu won't open by clicking on the icon or by the windows key. The search button also doesn't respond. All programs previously pinned to the taskbar no longer appear, even when open (making alt-tabbing the...
  8. Has the start menu changed in a recent update?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has the start menu changed in a recent update?: Hiya guys, I've just done a fresh install of Windows 10 on a new build. I noticed there are a couple of bits I can't seem to get back to how they were before, last time it was the free upgrade from win7, this time it was a clean install via windows 10 media creation tool....
  9. Start Menu and taskbar icons froze up.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and taskbar icons froze up.: Today the start menu and taskbar froze up and refused to open. I had to do a restart using task manager. Working fine now, but are there any ways to resolve this issue without having to restart the computer, in case this happens next time? A bit annoyed that such an issue...
  10. Taskbar, Start Menu, Icons Problems Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar, Start Menu, Icons Problems Help: Hi, i am facing a really hard time with my windows 10 after upgrading from windows 7 (like 3 days ago), everything was working fine, but now my taskbar is having all kind of problems like literally, first start with my "Start Menu" it not functioning anymore, than the...