Windows 10: recent update wiped out all of my information

Discus and support recent update wiped out all of my information in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; a few days ago I did a system update and shut down the computer as usual. when my wife went to sign back on the computer it wouldn't let her in. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WILLIAMDEBOLD, May 10, 2020.

1. recent update wiped out all of my information

a few days ago I did a system update and shut down the computer as usual. when my wife went to sign back on the computer it wouldn't let her in. I had to reset the password and after I got signed in I realized everything has been reset. all of my documents have been lost. it looks like most of my apps I had installed are missing from the home screen and possibly not even on the computer anymore. even my one drive looks empty. and the computer seems to be running way slower then usual. ive run a virus scan and checked for missing updates which I updated and still hasn't resolved the problem. im wondering what I can do to get all my information back and restore back to my previous settings. thanks

:)

WILLIAMDEBOLD, May 10, 2020
  2. malware Win User

Intel Updates Core 2 Quad Q9550 to E-0 Stepping

We continue our Monday news list with another Intel story that brings to our attention information concerning the company and more specificly its 2.83GHz Core 2 Quad Q9550 chips that will move from the current C-1 to the newer E-0 stepping. The updated chips will start selling on August 22nd, featuring the following changes:
    • New SSpec and MM numbers for the converting products
    • CPUID will change from 0x10677 to 0x1067A
    • Package change to Halide free package
    Apart from that, the new stepping CPUs will not include any other changes. Of course, like most new stepping parts a BIOS update will be needed.

Product Change Notification 108663 - 00

Source: TechConnect Magazine

malware, May 10, 2020
  3. Recently used items does not show after a recent Windows update

Hello Timothy,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and we regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

To be able to assist you better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

1) Did you make any recent changes to the computer?

2) Did you check if similar issues occur when logged in to the computer using a different user account?

3) Do you have any system restore point set prior to the issue?

To check if there is any Restore Point already created, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select System.

• In the left pane, click on System Protection.

• Select the option to system restore > next. It will show all restore points already created.

4) What is the particular Windows update you are referring to?

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.
    • Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
      recent update wiped out all of my information Windows_Key.png
      +
      I.
    • Click/tap Change PC settings.
    • Click on the Update and recovery and click on the View your update history.
    • You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
      "Successfully installed on (date)" links

As an initial step towards troubleshooting, I suggest you to check if the 'recently used item' feature is hidden. If yes, uncheck the options. Follow the below steps.

• Right click on Taskbar and choose Properties.
    • Select the tab Start Menu.
    • Uncheck both the options for:

1) Store and display recently opened programs in the Start Menu

2) Store and display recently opened items in the Start Menu and the Task Bar
    • Also select a higher number recent items to display in Jump List

If the above does not apply, please follow the below suggested methods and check in case if it is a functionality issue in Windows.

Method 1

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.

• Restart the computer.

Ref: Using System File Checker
    in Windows 10

Method 2

If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state or were irrecoverable, then I suggest you to try the following steps to deploy the DISM command lines:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

• In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 10, 2020
  4. recent update wiped out all of my information

Internet Explorer Bookmarks Wiped Out after recent Windows Update

Hello Kevdonahue,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to identify the particular Windows update you are referring to.

To do so, you need to check the settings through Windows update. Follow the below steps.

1. Open the Settings Charm with the shortcut Windows Key
    recent update wiped out all of my information Windows_Key.png
    +
    I.

2. Click/tap Change PC settings.

3. Click on the Update and recovery and click on the
    View your update history

4. You will now see a list of your installed Windows Updates. If you click on any one of the
    "Successfully installed on (date)" links , you will find more details for that update.

Next, I suggest you to first browse to the favorite’s folder location and check if the favorites contains all the favorites that are missing from Internet Explorer favorite list. If listed, please follow the steps:

• Press Windows key + E to open File explorer view
    • Select C drive and click on Users.
    • Select your user account and click on
      Favorites folder.
    • Double click on the links that are saved on the
      favorite folder
    • Opening the links will take you to Internet Explorer. Once the webpage is displayed, you may open the favorite bar on the Internet Explorer and click on
      Add to Favorites. This will add the webpage back to favorite bar.

Write to us with the updated status and the required information related to Internet Explorer Favorites, for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, May 10, 2020
Thema:

recent update wiped out all of my information

1. recent update wiped out all of my information - Similar Threads - recent update wiped

2. march 10 2021 update wiped out all my files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    march 10 2021 update wiped out all my files: i just woke up to find a windows update has wiped out all my files, pictures, bookmarks, music, etc. i can't even log into hotmail because i don't know my password so I have no idea how i'm going to know if there's a response to this question....
  3. Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc.

Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc.: Have a newer computer that came with Windows 10 installed. Set up the machine, installed some software, set up my browsers with profiles. Got a recent windows update, and then all my files disappeared, all my browser profiles were gone. When I reloaded my files back onto...
  4. Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..

in Browsers and Email
    Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..: Here's one for you I bet you haven't heard yet. A window popped up saying my SD card I use to run portable apps off had errors and would I like Windows to correct it. I naturally said yes, and Windows came back with another poppup saying the drive was repaired. I then...
  5. Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wiped out all my Thunderbird accounts..: Here's one for you I bet you haven't heard yet. A window popped up saying my SD card I use to run portable apps off had errors and would I like Windows to correct it. I naturally said yes, and Windows came back with another poppup saying the drive was repaired. I then...
  6. Windows update wiped out all my settings

Windows update wiped out all my settings: An update Windows 10 this morning 12/12/2020 wiped all my app settings on the PC. I use Outlook for email. This app was not be found in the list. When I searched for it, it showed up but then I had to recreate my email account all over. Now it won't let me choose the inbox...
  7. MSN Update cleared out all of my files and past information.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    MSN Update cleared out all of my files and past information.: None of the restore tips have helped; unable to locate any of my work now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msn-update-cleared-out-all-of-my-files-and-past/da83a668-6d99-4df2-bd58-27dbe94b3c40
  8. Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files

Update to Windows 2004 completely wiped out all my files: Windows 2004 installed on my computer and completely wiped all my files. It's as if it did a total reinstall of Windows to factory default - nothing is there but the bare basics. Apps are gone, files are gone. I use Firefox as my browser of choice and it even wiped that....
  9. Windows update wiped out all of my settings.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows update wiped out all of my settings.: I've seen a few posts here about the same thing happening to others. Windows did an automatic update even after I have turned them off and it basically restored back to factory settings. The first time it happened on Saturday February 23 2019 between 9-11 PM and I had to...
  10. remotely wipe information

in Windows 10 Support
    remotely wipe information: so this is my issue: I recently bought a laptop and immediately added my dropbox, one drive and gmail. during the night i left it on and woke up to a dead battery, i then went to charge it but found out that the device is faulty and would not charge so i sent it back however...