Windows 10: Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer

Discus and support Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My mom explained this to me in a somewhat confused rant so I'll do my best to relay her situation: on Saturday (Oct. 5) my mom turned off her laptop to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Rowan Theakston, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer

My mom explained this to me in a somewhat confused rant so I'll do my best to relay her situation: on Saturday (Oct. 5) my mom turned off her laptop to find that, when she turned it on, her computer seemed to be factory reset (or something similar), showing none of her preferences or files. Luckily she was able to find some documents by going into file explorer and going C: -> her account (I don't fully understand, but I think that's what she did to find her files).

This morning, she was working on an email or document or something, when Windows just took it's time to suddenly and slowly update (something I really enjoy about Windows 10). When it finally updated, her computer (or at least her desktop) had been wiped. When she opens her laptop, the only thing greeting her is the Recycle Bin icon on a black background. The task bar is still there but none of the buttons work.

Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer [​IMG]

She tried opening the Recycle Bin and this came up:

Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer [​IMG]

("C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop is unavailable.")

First of all, does anyone even know what this is? Has anyone encountered this before? Is there anything we can do to fix this?

:)

Rowan Theakston, Oct 11, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Oct 11, 2019
  3. londiste Win User
    Microsoft Office 2019 Will Run on Windows 10, and Only Windows 10

Windows 7 went out of mainstream support on Jan 15, 2015.
    Windows 8.1 went out of mainstream support on Jan 9, 2018.
    And I doubt anyone on Windows 8.1 would mind too much upgrading to Windows 10. I definitely would not *Big Grin Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer :D

They are supporting only Windowses currently in mainstream support. For Windows 10, they seem to have moved the support model to the bi-annual updates being supported for 2 years and more recently 1.5 years.

Has it been said if Office 2019 will actually work on Windows 7/8.1? Supported and actually working can be different things. Kind of like the "on supported hardware" comment above.

londiste, Oct 11, 2019
  4. Scrizz Win User

Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer

Windows 10

no, you can't go back..
    I suggest creating a backup image of your os drive

Scrizz, Oct 11, 2019
Thema:

Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer

1. Recent Windows 10 update (Oct. 2019) wiped my mom's computer - Similar Threads - Recent update Oct

2. Windows update wiped my computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update wiped my computer: I just did the windows update last night and i woke up to my computer needing to reinstall windows. I tried to recover to a past point and was unable to due to it wiping my information. Has this happened to anyone?...
  3. Change from recent Windows Update Oct 2020

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Change from recent Windows Update Oct 2020: I have seen an annoying change in my computer's behavior since a recent Windows update. I have a small work space and have a large monitor sitting on my closed laptop. Before this change I could get my computer to wake up by moving the mouse or hitting Enter on the wireless...
  4. Calendar Showing On My Moms Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Calendar Showing On My Moms Computer: Hey, So both my Mom and I have surfaces we all do and for some reason my calendar is showing up on hers. Can someone tell me how I can take my stuff off her PC? We don't have accounts linked up or anything, the only way her PC knows me is through her emailing me. Thanks,...
  5. Windows 10 update on 18 Oct 2019 legit?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 update on 18 Oct 2019 legit?: I got a notice while on a PC this morning stating that windows need to update. the screens look fine and are exactly how it’s updated in the past however this is taking two hours or longer. Is this legitimate?...
  6. Windows Update not working (OS Build 18362.356) Oct 10 2019

Windows Update not working (OS Build 18362.356) Oct 10 2019: I'm currently on 1903 (OS Build 18362.356), updated from 1803 on ‎Sep 14 2019. On that date, I also successfully installed 2 updates: “Security Update for Adobe Flash Player: September 10, 2019 (KB4516155)” and “2019-KB4514359 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and...
  7. recent windows update Oct 2019

recent windows update Oct 2019: I recently saw an update for windows10 and I did it and it installed but now i dont want it. It screwed up my mp4s which will not play in color. I am very novice at this and I wish I could fix the whole thing back the way it was. i have been trying everything and cant get my...
  8. Oct 3rd 2019 Update Rollout Issues

in Windows 10 Customization
    Oct 3rd 2019 Update Rollout Issues: I had the printer issues I saw mentioned immediately, but I also have display issues with my excel spreadsheets. Is anyone else having formatting issues of this type?...
  9. New Windows Update For March 2019 Killed My Mom's Computer For A Bit!

New Windows Update For March 2019 Killed My Mom's Computer For A Bit!: My mother has a 9-year-old HP laptop and sadly, today it died after the new windows update. The thing that bugs me is, my computer had issues after the new update too, and it is newer at 1 year old. When she turned it on today, it would not run, it gave her a blue screen,...
  10. Windows Update Wiped My Computer

Windows Update Wiped My Computer: I turned on my desktop yesterday and a Windows 10 update began to run automatically. When it was finished, it was as if my hard drive was formatted. Outlook, gone, TurboTax, gone, pictures, gone, documents gone. Everything was reset. WHAT'S UP WITH THIS MICROSOFT???...