Windows 10: Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc.

Discus and support Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Have a newer computer that came with Windows 10 installed. Set up the machine, installed some software, set up my browsers with profiles. Got a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rdhceo2, Feb 22, 2021.

1. rdhceo2 Win User

Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc.

Have a newer computer that came with Windows 10 installed. Set up the machine, installed some software, set up my browsers with profiles. Got a recent windows update, and then all my files disappeared, all my browser profiles were gone. When I reloaded my files back onto the hard drive and re-started the machine - files were gone again. One software item I had installed, which was an older program - was working perfectly - it was gone also, and now will not install or work. Had to completely reset the entire machine just to resolve this which took the better part of a day.

I sincerely hope that Someone from MS is paying attention to this - because this will be catastrophic for many people - especially someone using their machine for business. If I could figure out a way to stop the updates from installing I would. Funny how when I had the older Windows versions; XP, Vista, 8 - this never happened.

Seen Many posts with this same problem - cannot believe that Microsoft has not addressed the update issue.

The software that I now cannot get to run now is Photoshop 6. I had to modify it at first for compatibility - then I did get it to function. Now, no matter how I try to use the compatibility wizard with it, or try to uninstall and reinstall it - I get the same message. Screen shot below.

Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc. 33d80c1a-c21a-4ac4-b480-186f319c6176?upload=true.jpg

:)

rdhceo2, Feb 22, 2021
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 22, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 22, 2021
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

only way I know to clear em out is to remove the reg keys

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List.

you can try setting that container to read only but I'm not sure how that will affect it. or a basic powershell/vbscript in taskscheduler to wipe those keys every so often.

slozomby, Feb 22, 2021
Thema:

1. Recent windows 10 update wiped all my files, profiles, etc. - Similar Threads - Recent update wiped

2. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  3. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    wiped all my files: After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting restarting several times because I thought it's just lagging or it will as move somewhere. Need help, cant find my files....
  4. wiped all my files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. computer wiped all my files

computer wiped all my files: Hi,I'm here to ask a serious problem. I got a computer which is 4 years old now, its a bit laggy but still performing well. Earlier I'm using it to do my homework but it hang up, so I restarted it. After the restart I noticed that all my files was gone, I tried restarting...
  6. Windows 10 update just wiped all my files and installed applications

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update just wiped all my files and installed applications: Yesterday 6/2 I was prompt by the Windows 10 system to update. It says the update will take a little longer time than normal. The power icon also has a yellow dot on it that says restart would update. So I choose to update immediately. The update did take a long time. The...
  7. windows update wiped my sync.com app and all my files?!

windows update wiped my sync.com app and all my files?!: Seriously, Microsoft Windows? You're so busy pushing your own cloud data storage platform that you updated windows and wiped my computer of my sync.com account with all, I mean all, my files. This is delaying my productivity for at least 2 hours while all the files have to...
  8. recent update wiped out all of my information

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    recent update wiped out all of my information: a few days ago I did a system update and shut down the computer as usual. when my wife went to sign back on the computer it wouldn't let her in. I had to reset the password and after I got signed in I realized everything has been reset. all of my documents have been lost....
  9. Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update

in Browsers and Email
    Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update: After Windows 10 updated it wouldn't let me log in any more. I got an error The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. I followed steps online to recover it (resetting State to 0 and RefCount to 0) and I can now log in. It had my...
  10. Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost all profiles for Thunderbird, Chrome etc after Windows 10 update: After Windows 10 updated it wouldn't let me log in any more. I got an error The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded. I followed steps online to recover it and I can log in. But when I launch all my programs like Chrome and...