Windows 10: Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

Discus and support Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Locked without an answer. Four replies from people looking for an answer. Please fix this. This is still a problem that constantly requires my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EnderofGames, May 16, 2020.

1. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

EnderofGames, May 16, 2020

2. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset For EVERY Change

First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update

To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of speakers. It is also an input device, so
    that I can listen to the input device on my real output device, either my speakers or headphones.

So I go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Check "Listen to this device" and under "Playback through this device:" I select "Default Playback Device".

This used to work fine and dandy. Sometime around August 2019, a Windows 10 update broke this. If I plug in my headphones, the default device changes from speakers to headphones. But playback of the virtual audio device stops. If I unplug my headphones, it
    is still stopped. I have to go to Sound > Recording > Virtual Audio > Properties > Listen > Change the dropdown menu from "Default Playback Device" to anything else > Apply > Change the dropdown menu to "Default Playback Device" > Apply again to fix it.

This adds TONS of extra steps to a simple change like plugging in my headphones. I have uninstalled my audio drivers and reinstalled them. This is a problem with how Windows 10 now handles listening to devices and needs to be fixed.

EnderofGames, May 16, 2020
  3. Jacques Win User
    'Listen to device' not changing to default playback device

I have just done a windows update from Windows 10 1803 to 1909 and my audio input which should playback through the default playback device no longer automatically adapts to a change in default playback device. For example if I change the default playback device from Speakers to Headset, the input still plays through Speakers, until I manually go to the settings and Uncheck/recheck listen to this device, or disable/re-enable the input device, then it will play through the headset.

Is there any way to make the "Listen to this device" option always playback through the default playback device, or any way I could programmatically disable/re-enable the audio input so that it would start playing through the correct playback device?

(Picture shows the settings on the Listen tab for my audio input)
    https://i.stack.imgur.com/coZ9f.png

Jacques, May 16, 2020
  4. adraffy Win User

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset For EVERY Change

I also have this problem.

Playback through this device: (Default Playback Device) is a lie.

Additionally, the fact that this stuff can't be natively configured via command line is vexing.

adraffy, May 16, 2020
Thema:

Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

1. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset... - Similar Threads - Recent Causes Listening

2. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  3. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...: Any time I use an external microphone my game audio gets picked up by my headset and everyone in discord can hear it. I just bought a new headset thinking that would fix it but it hasn't. I'm playing on a laptop with an integrated mic so that probably has something to do with...
  4. Desktop audio getting picked up through default input device, "listen to this device" not...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays: I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight delay that renders it unusable (as a side note, in a real cockpit, you listen to yourself speak through the headset without any...
  6. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

in Windows 10 Support
    "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays: I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight delay that renders it unusable (as a side note, in a real cockpit, you listen to yourself speak through the headset without any...
  7. "listen to this device"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "listen to this device": I've been using a soundboard for a couple of days along with VB Audio Cable to play silly sound clips through game chat while I'm streaming. Today the feature "listen to this device" won't work, as you have the Virtual audio cable "listen" to the output of whatever you want...
  8. Reset Input Device

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset Input Device: I by mistake marked my input device as headset but it is a headphone, so while using it windows just turn off my in-PC microphone causing me problems.So how can i just reset it?...
  9. Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1903 not honoring default sound device for "Listen to" inputs: This problem only started happening after I updated from 1809 to 1903 and I don't want to update to 1909 yet to see if it's fixed. I have two sound output devices, one is for my speakers, one is for my headset, I also have my PC listen to Line-In to the "Default Sound...
  10. Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Recent Windows Up Causes Listening to Input Device on "Default Device" Needing to be Reset...: First started maybe two months ago, a Windows 10 update To explain why I do this, I use a virtual audio device so I can listen to some audio that doesn't go to stream. This virtual audio device is simple: It is a device that some programs output to, like a fake set of...