Windows 10: Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I...

Discus and support Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; [ATTACH] As it said in the title, I changed my password recently (after a sextortion scam email scare prompted me into changing ALL my passwords - no... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AxlPenbrook, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I...

Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I... 9f61001c-5581-41d1-8549-ed8f234ce0a4?upload=true.png

As it said in the title, I changed my password recently (after a sextortion scam email scare prompted me into changing ALL my passwords - no viruses detected according to Windows Defender and I didn't click on any links nor did I open the email except in 'immersive reader' so that I didn't really 'open it') But now for some reason I absolutely cannot make edits or changes to any of my bloody documents or photos, not without getting notifications from Windows Defender that it prevented "unauthorised changes" that I was trying to initiate myself.

So I only got 3 choices right now:

1) Just carry on as normal but only save files on a USB stick (which for some reason actually lets me make edits as long as the document origin is in my USB stick and not from my computer itself)

2) Drive myself crazy googling and only finding answers that worked like a decade ago

3) Just take out important stuff from my computer into an external hard drive and then just trash the stupid laptop. It's 2-3 years old so it's almost about time I need a new one.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get my access back? I have the password, but not the authorisation, and I don't want to manually "okay" every single bloody program that I use, I can't even use iTunes anymore because it's not an "authorised program" and my computer is stopping me from updating it.

:)

AxlPenbrook, Nov 15, 2018
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Nov 15, 2018
  3. Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Nov 15, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I...

After editing file changes aren't saved.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

• Which account are you using? Is it Administrator account or standard account?
    I suggest you to login with Admin Account and create a new user account and try to edit the files.

Refer the link below to add an account to the PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

If you don’t have admin account follow the steps below and check if it helps

You can Enable the built in Administrator account in Windows 10, then create a local account.

I suggest you to refer the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows+ X, select
      Command Prompt
      , and then click Run as Administrator.

• When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.

• At the command prompt, type net user administrator /active: yes, and then press Enter.

• Type net user administrator
      <Password>
      , and then press Enter.

Note In this command, <Password> represents the actual password that you want to set for the administrator account.

• Type exit, and then press Enter.

• Log off the current user account. And login and check the are you able to edit the files.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 15, 2018
Thema:

Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I...

1. Recently changed my password to my laptop, now I can't save or edit ANYTHING. How do I... - Similar Threads - Recently changed password

2. I can't do anything on my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't do anything on my laptop: Well I tryna fix my window memory diagnostic tool loop that I been doing it 8 hours and it still didn't work, I try to go on safe mode by pressing f8 but it won't work, and I tryna go on startup repair and it didn't work power button method and now just gave up , I hope...
  3. I can't do anything on my laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't do anything on my laptop: Well I tryna fix my window memory diagnostic tool loop that I been doing it 8 hours and it still didn't work, I try to go on safe mode by pressing f8 but it won't work, and I tryna go on startup repair and it didn't work power button method and now just gave up , I hope...
  4. I can't do anything on my laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. how do I find my saved passwords?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how do I find my saved passwords?: Cannot remember how to find my saved passwords. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-find-my-saved-passwords/114dc74a-143c-4fe6-bdb3-d9daefe2b17f
  6. how do i access my saved passwords?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do i access my saved passwords?: where are my saved passwords? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-access-my-saved-passwords/74f6eadd-f9dd-4592-ba3a-398554ae1d80
  7. How do I change the password on my laptop without changing the password on my Microsoft...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How do I change the password on my laptop without changing the password on my Microsoft...: I forgot my password and i can have logged into my microsoft linked account but i’m not sure how to change the password for my laptop. Whenever I do change the password it changes my microsoft one. How do I change the dam laptop one. Please Help* Moved from Research* Original...
  8. my laptop is NOT saving my edited photos at all how do i fix this

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my laptop is NOT saving my edited photos at all how do i fix this: My laptop is NOT saving my edited photos i just spent two hours editing and the photos are back to their original state. HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-is-not-saving-my-edited-photos-at-all/d59edaaf-1121-4cf7-a250-88120edf090d
  9. how do i change my access password on my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    how do i change my access password on my laptop: how do I change my password on my laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-my-access-password-on-my-laptop/491ddb20-4ca5-4bb3-ae5f-98f3b8b581f2
  10. Changed my programfilesdir and now I can't do anything

in Windows 10 Support
    Changed my programfilesdir and now I can't do anything: Hello guys, So I tried to change the installation path of everything to my 2tb external D: drive becuz my hard drive only has 150gb. I did this: Open regedit (Start > Run > "regedit"). Then find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion". Now...