Windows 10: Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only

Discus and support Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About a month ago I got a new SSD to install my OS on, and it went well. My original HDD my OS was previously installed on is still connected to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bodiereed, Jul 2, 2022.

1. bodiereed Win User

Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only

About a month ago I got a new SSD to install my OS on, and it went well. My original HDD my OS was previously installed on is still connected to the PC, but I'm no longer booting from it. Everything booted fine, but many of my files / folders from my previous HDD and even some on my SSD are now restricted to admin only. This wouldn't be a huge issue, if it wasn't for the fact that it prevents me from opening files in programs and also stops me from installing games from launchers like Steam at least into the affected folders.It seems to be completely random, with some folders being completel

:)

bodiereed, Jul 2, 2022
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Recent files and folders not showing in Quick access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to see files and folders under the Quick access section.

The Quick access section will show all the recent files accessed under the recent files section and the most recent folder on the left pane.

As per the screenshot provided by you, I can see that the options are already checked. I suggest you to click on the
    Restore Defaults button to restore the settings back to default and check if that helps.

You can also create a new user account and check if the options are working. Follow the steps from the article

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10
    to create a new user account.

Also, I suggest you to run DISM command to check for system file corruptions and repair them. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run DISM scan:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      and press Enter.
    4. Restart the PC.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 2, 2022
  3. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand your query related to accessing recent items that you have accessed on your PC.

Usually, when you access a file or folder on your PC it shows in the Quick Access menu as recent files.

However, if you are looking for the most recent files that you have accessed from the PC then the simplest way is to access the recent items using the run command.

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run. Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for
      Run.
    2. In Run dialog box, type
      shell:recent
      and hit Enter.

This will open a window with all the recent items that you have accessed. You can also pin this folder in the Quick Access menu so that it will be easier for you to access once again.

Kindly follow the steps to pin the recent items on the Quick Access menu.

1. Right click on the Quick Access menu on the left hand pane.
    2. Select Pin current folder to Quick access.

Once you pin the folder you should be able to access the recent items. Refer the screenshot for more information.

Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only 1781d25f-24ba-4efc-a9ec-e4f310143276?upload=true.png

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jul 2, 2022
  4. Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only

Recent files access

Hi my name is Ross, I'm an independent advisor. I'd be happy to help with your issue.

Depending on the update being installed this can sometimes be an entirely new version of the software so these list don’t carry over.

You can access recent documents by following these steps:

Press Windows Key + E.

Under File Explorer, select Quick access.

Now, you will find a section Recent files which will display all the recently viewed files/documents.

Regarding your issue with Facebook, have you installed the app and you are having issues opening this?

If so I would suggest going to settings/apps and removing the app before reinstalling, this clears up most issues.

Regards,

Ross

rossmcbain, Jul 2, 2022
Thema:

Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only

1. Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only - Similar Threads - Recently got SSD

2. Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only: About a month ago I got a new SSD to install my OS on, and it went well. My original HDD my OS was previously installed on is still connected to the PC, but I'm no longer booting from it. Everything booted fine, but many of my files / folders from my previous HDD and even...
  3. Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recently got new SSD for OS, now many folders / files access are restricted to admin only: About a month ago I got a new SSD to install my OS on, and it went well. My original HDD my OS was previously installed on is still connected to the PC, but I'm no longer booting from it. Everything booted fine, but many of my files / folders from my previous HDD and even...
  4. My account isn't an admin and can't access admin ONLY files and folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My account isn't an admin and can't access admin ONLY files and folders: Long story, but I accidentally changed my rights and can't change them back without having those rights. I've tried everything I can think of. So basically I soft-locked my account? I don't know. I tried CMD, but can't do that without admin rights. Tried netplwiz which was...
  5. My account isn't an admin and can't access admin ONLY files and folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My account isn't an admin and can't access admin ONLY files and folders: Long story, but I accidentally changed my rights and can't change them back without having those rights. I've tried everything I can think of. So basically I soft-locked my account? I don't know. I tried CMD, but can't do that without admin rights. Tried netplwiz which was...
  6. Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Created new user - Restricted file access for that user but Admin account apps now broken: Windows 10 - latest buildI made a new user account for a friend visiting, and restricted access to some hard drives for that account.All seemed to work fine - the files were restricted for the new user.But back in my Admin/main account when I try to open specfic Windows Apps...
  7. Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent folders / frequent folders / recent files / quick access: Ok, this is driving me mad. Until recently there was a fantastic feature in Windows called Recent Places (or something like that). It's no longer available and this must cost me 5 minutes per hour (for which I will invoice Microsoft.) Now there is the Quick Access menu,...
  8. recent files and folders, quick access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recent files and folders, quick access: hello all, just wondering if this is a setting that i have missed. but i really like the recent files and folders feature, I.E; recent files opened are displayed when right clicking Adobe PDF, Word, Excel, ect ect on task-bar and also recent folders shown by right...
  9. WTF are these and why this File and or Folder Access restriction happen?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WTF are these and why this File and or Folder Access restriction happen?: WTF are these and why this File and or Folder Access restriction happen - My computer, My HDDs, My Files and Folders - Who the hell is OS to deny access to some or the other file or folder every now and then ? See the end of this message for details on invoking...
  10. Recent file or folders in Quick Access

in Windows 10 Support
    Recent file or folders in Quick Access: I have browsed through Add or Remove Frequent folders from Quick access in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials However it is not clear to me, how I may keep only the normal items, but not continually add "recent" items. Sorry if this seems a stupid thread, but...