Windows 10: Recently opened files do not show when right click Word in the taskbar, Excel is fine

Discus and support Recently opened files do not show when right click Word in the taskbar, Excel is fine in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Some time in the last few weeks, Word stopped updating the recently opened files shown when I right click the icon in the taskbar. It showed only 3... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Andrew CCC, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Recently opened files do not show when right click Word in the taskbar, Excel is fine

Some time in the last few weeks, Word stopped updating the recently opened files shown when I right click the icon in the taskbar. It showed only 3 files that I had not opened in a long time. I right clicked on each of those 3 files and selected "Remove from this list" but the list never populated again with more recent files.

I searched on Microsoft and elsewhere, and I found many things to try, including some registry editing, but none of them worked.

Why did it stop? I barely care. I just want to be able to rectify it if/when it happens again.

:)

Andrew CCC, Jan 19, 2021

2. Excel on Windows 10 taskbar does not show recent files

I have the same problem. I have only just upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago. I have Word 2010 and Excel 2010 pinned to my taskbar. Right-clicking Word shows 12 recent files extending back to before the upgrade. Right-clicking Excel shows no recent
    files, only Excel (to open program) and unpin. It is the same situation on the start menu.

"Show recently opened items" in Settings is turned on.

Can you help?

MattRichardsonAu, Jan 19, 2021
  3. Excel on Windows 10 taskbar does not show recent files

This is only happening with Excel. With Word and PowerPoint, a right click on the taskbar shows recent files and allows me to pin a file to the same window that appears on the taskbar with a right click. For Excel, the right click on the task bar shows
    5 pinned files and no recent files.

For Excel I already sett the Display to show 25 Recent Documents which appear when I select the "Open Recent File" button on the Quick Access Toolbar. However, this is not the issue that I am concerned with. I want to select more than 5 files from the
    Excel tab on the Taskbar just as I was able to do before upgrading to WIndows 10. By the way, this happens only on my Dell Insprion computer after I upgraded to Windows 10 and when using Excel 2010. On my Surface Pro this issue does not occure when I use
    Excel 2013.

dhnewman16, Jan 19, 2021
  4. Summer203 Win User

Recently opened files do not show when right click Word in the taskbar, Excel is fine

File Explorer in Win 10 taskbar not showing Recent folders

logarajsivasamy, my "Show recently opened items..." (step 4) was already on. Although recent folders appear in Word, Excel etc in the taskbar, they don't appear in File Explorer.

Summer203, Jan 19, 2021
Thema:

Recently opened files do not show when right click Word in the taskbar, Excel is fine

1. Recently opened files do not show when right click Word in the taskbar, Excel is fine - Similar Threads - Recently opened files

2. Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word: I ran into this weird question a couple of months ago.I thought it would be gone after a reboot, but noI'm NOT able to delete any recent items on the taskbar from Word. But I AM able to do that by right click on other apps like explorer or notepad I've tried to clear...
  3. Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't delete any recent items on Taskbar by right click from Word: I ran into this weird question a couple of months ago.I thought it would be gone after a reboot, but noI'm NOT able to delete any recent items on the taskbar from Word. But I AM able to do that by right click on other apps like explorer or notepad I've tried to clear...
  4. Recently opened files do not show when right-click MS Office icons in the Taskbar or Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recently opened files do not show when right-click MS Office icons in the Taskbar or Start Menu: Sometime in the last couple months, Word stopped updating the list of recently opened files shown when I right click the icon in the taskbar. It showed only 3 files that I had not opened in a long time. I right clicked on each of those 3 files and selected "Remove from this...
  5. Recent Excel Files Showing Up That I Did Not Recently Open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Excel Files Showing Up That I Did Not Recently Open: I have had the Recent Files populating with Files that were not opened recently, even after I clear them off the list, they keep showing back up. This has been going on for about a week. I tried shutting off the Recent Files by using several different methods, including the...
  6. Word and Excel do not open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Word and Excel do not open: Help My word and excel will not open suddenly! I did the update last week, no issue then but now it is acting up. How do you fix it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-and-excel-do-not-open/0269ba1d-98d2-4db5-8b6d-f676faa58a5f
  7. Word & Excel do not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word & Excel do not open: Hi. When I try to open excel, I have the following message: "Microsoft Excel isn't currently your default program for viewing and editing spreadsheets. Do you want to select file types that Excel should open?" I chose "Yes" and tried to follow but came to nothing. Word...
  8. Right click to open a new word doc file

Right click to open a new word doc file: It is very usual to get a new text document and Microsoft word document by simply doing a right click. But mine has changed from that to [rtf (rich text format) with a right click]. due to some reason Would anybody please explain how to change it back to default [a word...
  9. Windows 10 Task bar Icon for Word and/or Excel, right click to show recent files.

Windows 10 Task bar Icon for Word and/or Excel, right click to show recent files.: Windows 10 Task bar Icon for Word and/or Excel, right click to show recent or pinned files. How do I get the recent files to list? I have looked at all the properties as well as windows 10 options for both programs and I can only affect the recent files once the program is...
  10. "Recent" right click programs in taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    "Recent" right click programs in taskbar: Hello! My issue is that usually when you right click for example Steam or Chrome it shows you recently played games/recently opened websites you've been onto... once again, my Windows 10 have stopped doing that, and I don't even know why. 47648

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ms word not popping up recent files on the task bar