Windows 10: recently upgraded my motherboard and cant reactivate my Windows 10

Discus and support recently upgraded my motherboard and cant reactivate my Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I replaced my old motherboard for a newer one and came to find out I couldn't change the background because I needed to activate windows with the error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JacobBarney, Dec 31, 2018.

1. recently upgraded my motherboard and cant reactivate my Windows 10

I replaced my old motherboard for a newer one and came to find out I couldn't change the background because I needed to activate windows with the error message "0xC004C003". I've looked into it a bit but I already had a Microsoft account when I bought the prebuilt computer and HAD an activation key that I no longer have, I also upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 on an old Samsung laptop. I was wondering if there's anyway I can reactivate windows 10 without having to buy it again?

:)

JacobBarney, Dec 31, 2018
  2. mshimala Win User

Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Dec 31, 2018
  3. MarkSuh Win User
    Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard has been changed

I recently upgraded by motherboard and now I can't get Windows 10 to reactivate. I've tried the troubleshoot steps, but I'm stuck where I need to connect my
    Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license. I have access to my Microsoft account and my PC is reflected under the "device info and support" tab. Please help.

MarkSuh, Dec 31, 2018
  4. Cyred771 Win User

recently upgraded my motherboard and cant reactivate my Windows 10

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard change.

I purchased Windows 8 and upgraded for free to Windows 10 when I still had my old motherboard. Now it doesn't let me reactivate it.

I followed these steps:

• Select the Start button, select Settings > Update & security > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. You must be signed in as an administrator.
    • The troubleshooter will show a message that Windows can’t be activated on your device. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, and then select Next.

After that I just get this message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for reactivating the device you’re using right now. Make sure you’re signed in with the same Microsoft account you linked to the Windows 10 digital license
    on this device or try again later.

But I am signed in with my only microsoft account and when I sign in to https://www.microsoft.com and look at my account I can see my PC's name together with my old motherboard name as a device.

Do I have to buy a new Windows 10 now or what am I supposed to do?

Cyred771, Dec 31, 2018
Thema:

recently upgraded my motherboard and cant reactivate my Windows 10

1. recently upgraded my motherboard and cant reactivate my Windows 10 - Similar Threads - recently upgraded motherboard

2. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  3. New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New Motherboard cant reactivate windows 10: Hi, so I upgraded my PC with a new motherboard and I need to reactivate windows 10, the auto activate thingy didnt work and I can't find the activation code in my email because for some reason the email is all broken up and not functioning anymore, is there anything else I...
  4. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  5. Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change

Cant reactivate windows after motherboard change: I just got a motherboard upgrade and now I need to reactivate windows 10 Pro. I currently dont have the product key with me any more. Is there a way to reactivate my windows without my product key....
  6. Changed my motherboard and CPU - cant reactivate windows 10 pro

Changed my motherboard and CPU - cant reactivate windows 10 pro: Have gone through the whole re-activate , pick pc etc and it fails. Logged into my account. I could see that I had 2 pc's with the same name and different hardware so thought that it was failing due to not being able to determine which to use. I removed the old pc stupidly as...
  7. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I...
  8. Upgraded my motherboard and windows has deactivated, wont reactivate

Upgraded my motherboard and windows has deactivated, wont reactivate: I upgraded to 10 during the free period, and I've just changed my mobo which has deactivated windows. The trouble shooting option just tells me to buy a new key. Any way to fix this or because I got the free upgrade its just bricked? 0xC004C003 error...
  9. Will upgrading my motherboard force me to reactivate windows?

Will upgrading my motherboard force me to reactivate windows?: Currently my PC is using a old motherboard that has a old CPU in it because my other motherboard with my completely fine i7 in it broke. I now have the money to buy a new motherboard but I'm worried that when I swap motherboards and CPUs my windows will need to be...
  10. windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Support
    windows cant reactivate after changing motherboard: hi guys..can someone help me ? i recently change my motherboard and my windows cant reactivate using trouble shooter from activation tab. is there any solution for this? my windows version is 1803 build 17134.48 . thanks before 111304

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i upgraded hardware \my windows key is on my old motherboard

2. just upgraded my motherboard and i dont have windows

3. upgraded my hardware and windows wont reactivate

4. i upgraded and it says I need to reactivate but cant,
  5. upgraded motherboard cant reactivate windows