Windows 10: Recently, whenever I right click on an item (mostly photos (jpeg)) file explorer crashes,...

Discus and support Recently, whenever I right click on an item (mostly photos (jpeg)) file explorer crashes,... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; not sure but this might be happening only on shared online drives, (Onedrive, Dropbox, etc) and it is not happening all the time. Really strange but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rededylive, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Recently, whenever I right click on an item (mostly photos (jpeg)) file explorer crashes,...

not sure but this might be happening only on shared online drives, (Onedrive, Dropbox, etc)

and it is not happening all the time. Really strange but it is what it is.

Anyone have had same issues?

submitted by /u/rededylive
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rededylive, Nov 8, 2020

2. File Explorer crashes on Quick Access Recent files item

Not a very good solution though is it - recent files is very useful and once you've started using it in earnest, it's instantly missed.

The screen scaling tie in does seem to be a bit of a red herring.

BTW - an interesting side note. Clearing recent items in File Explorer doesn't clear the recent items files you have in Outlook 2016, i.e. if you to go attach an file, there is still a list of recent files. Disable recent files in File Explorer and you still
    get a recent files list in Outlook. Sounds like two lists are maintained?? The two definitely work together. Save (say) a picture from Edge and it appears in File Explorer recent files and Outlook recent files.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the crash occurs when File Explorer attempts to query the file to determine it's contents - for example, to display a thumbnail if you're in "Large icons" view.

Rob Nicholson (Home), Nov 8, 2020
  3. File Explorer crashes on Quick Access Recent files item

I have seen this as well and have more information on a particular trigger for it happening to me.

The "Recent files" section of "Quick access" indicates that it has 20 recent files. Upon initially opening an File Explorer window, only 7 are showing. As soon as one particular item comes into view, the File Explorer window and the whole Windows Explorer
    shell crash and re-launch (no task bar for a period of time).

This file can come into view from:

• Scrolling down to see it
    • Maximizing the File Explorer window, either by moving it to the top of my monitor or pressing the Maximize icon.
    • Resizing the File Explorer window just enough to see this file entry.

I can see that the particular entry that causes the crash is a file that does not exist anymore: "Sheet1.SchDoc" on "This PC\Desktop". (The file is from Altium Designer, an electrical CAD tool.) When I look at my Desktop, it definitely does not exist.

I cannot find "Sheet1.SchDoc" in the registry if I search for Keys, Values & Data - could the most recently used items be kept somewhere else. I also cannot find other items that still exist from the Recent files section in the registry.

So my take is that the issue stems from a file path being loaded into the Recent files path, but being subsequently removed or renamed, and then File explorer being unable to cope with the notion that a file disappeared.

I can safely maximize or resize the File Explorer window if I collapse the "Recent files" section of the window so the individual file entries do not show. Upon maximizing so that more files could be shown, Explorer crashes an instant after the list is
    expanded again.

Michael Bendzick, Nov 8, 2020
  4. Recently, whenever I right click on an item (mostly photos (jpeg)) file explorer crashes,...

File Explorer crashes on Quick Access Recent files item

Hi Loreto,

Clearing recent files does indeed allow File Explorer to open but my client did as I suggested and left recent files turned off for a few days and then turned it back on. It worked for a while but then started crashing again.

Two users at the same site have now reported the same problem which suggests it's not an individual user doing something unusual. It is very possible that they are working on the same documents in the same project.

The kind of documents in there will be:

• Documents opened directly from SharePoint
    • Documents opened from File Explorer viewing a SharePoint document library
    • Documents opened from File Explorer using a mapped drive to a SharePoint document library
    • Documents opened from Office 365 OneDrive

It's definitely a bug! Some threads have suggested bizarrely that it's linked to screen scaling?? And they do have a monitor and laptop screen with different scaling.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson (Home), Nov 8, 2020
Thema:

Recently, whenever I right click on an item (mostly photos (jpeg)) file explorer crashes,...

1. Recently, whenever I right click on an item (mostly photos (jpeg)) file explorer crashes,... - Similar Threads - Recently whenever right

2. File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...: Title says it all. Right click other items in the Navigation Pane doesn't crash File Explorer. I can open my drives and other directories in new windows without crashing. But the moment I right click the items pinned in Quick Access, File Explorer immediately crashes....
  3. File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...: Title says it all. Right click other items in the Navigation Pane doesn't crash File Explorer. I can open my drives and other directories in new windows without crashing. But the moment I right click the items pinned in Quick Access, File Explorer immediately crashes....
  4. File Explorer crashing whenever Quick Access items in Navigation Pane are right-clicked or...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Right Click Most Visited and Recently Closed menu items not working.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Right Click Most Visited and Recently Closed menu items not working.: When I right click Chrome Icon on the Taskbar, it shows Most visited, Recently closed and Tasks. Most visited and Recently closed no longer work since the Microsoft Update. Please help?...
  6. Whenever I right click on a program in file explorer it crashes

Whenever I right click on a program in file explorer it crashes: So if I go on File Explorer and I wanna right click on a program File Explorer just crashes, and it's pretty annoying here is a video: https://streamable.com/zq92ea I hate this because I can barely do anything. Please help....
  7. File explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file. If I left click it opens fine.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file. If I left click it opens fine.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jorda_jorda [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e92tl6/file_explorer_crashes_whenever_i_right_click_on_a/
  8. Right Click Items in Quick Access Crashes Explorer

Right Click Items in Quick Access Crashes Explorer: When right clicking on items in quick access, explorer crashes. - I have cleared file explorer history. - I have removed unchecked "show frequently used folders in quick access" - When I start explorer via CMD (right click > Run as Administrator) then I can right click...
  9. Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right click on Windows Explorer items cause crashing: I know this has been asked before and I tried using the solutions in this forums. Interestingly, I used ShellExView from Nirsoft and started by disabling every non-microsoft shell extension. It solved the problem. However, I enabled all the items again, and funny enough the...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer crashes whenever I right click on a file: Hi all! I just upgraded to Windows 10 a week ago and so far I haven't had any troubles with it. However, to my surprise, I encountered a problem that is rather annoying to deal with. Just now I was about to check the file size of a certain document, but when I right clicked...