Windows 10: Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive

Discus and support Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My desktop PC is new. It came with a SSD with Windows 10 pre-installed. It is partitioned as follows: _ System Reserved 50MB NTFS C:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David P. Vancouver, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive

My desktop PC is new. It came with a SSD with Windows 10 pre-installed. It is partitioned as follows:
    _ System Reserved 50MB NTFS
    C: 476.40 GB NTFS
    _ 499 MB Healthy Recovery Partition
    The Windows installation is fine.

Next I added a 4TB HDD, to use for data. It seems I mis-configured the drives, because when I turned on the PC, it treated the blank HDD as a system drive and launched into a Windows 10 installation that I couldn't stop. I fixed the configuration problem so now the PC once again boots from the SSD C: drive Disk 0 and the HDD is now Disk 1. Now the HDD is partitioned as follows:
    _ System Reserved 549 MB NTFS
    E: 352.15 GB NTFS
    F: 1695.31 GB NTFS
    _ 1678.02 GB Unallocated

That leaves me with two problems:
    1. The E partition contains 37.5 GB of Windows files that I don't want
    2. I can't use the Unallocated space at all. Disk Manager will not allow me to shrink, expand, format, or name it, make it a new volume or do anything at all. Every possible action is greyed out.

So how to proceed?
    A. Can I just delete all the files in E:? Will Windows continue to treat E: as a system drive? Does that matter?
    B. How can I gain access to the unallocated partition?

If necessary, I will wipe the entire HDD and start over. But I don't see a way to do that in Disk Manager. I could delete all 3 volumes, but I don't see how that will give me access to the unallocated partition.

Suggestions?

:)

David P. Vancouver, Mar 19, 2021
  2. WaltBenn Win User

How can I reclaim hard drive space filled by windows 10

Hard drive on my Acer Laptop is near full of windows 10 files/folder, etc. How can I remove unneeded files to reclaim hard disk space? Why doesn't Windows or Microsoft help with this? I don't see any good reason for Windows10 filling my hard drive.

WaltBenn, Mar 19, 2021
  3. reclaiming "plotted" hard drive apace

I plotted part of my C drive to use for cryptocurrency mining, but the program wouldn't work. I deleted the program, but now a large chunk of hard drive space is unusable. How can I reclaim it?

***Moved from Windows / Gaming on Windows 10***

SalMoscato, Mar 19, 2021
  4. Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive

Reclaim space on hdd

I need to reclaim some space on the hard drive that my Windows 10 is installed on this pc.

There is a Windows.old.000 folder (13.2 GB)

and a

Windows.old folder (9.09 GB).

Can I still use Disk Cleanup with Windows 10 to do this, and is it ok to do it?

ventanasguy, Mar 19, 2021
Thema:

Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive

1. Reclaiming the space on a Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Reclaiming space Hard

2. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  3. Hard Drive space

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive space: I have a 128GB SSD Windows 10 home version 22H2 Build 19045.4291 and my programs are installed on.However I am losing fee space on a daily bases, current only 7..0 GB free.Checked Windows folder and have 2 folders SoftwareDistribution 945mb and another...
  4. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive space: My C: Drive is Highlighted,+but full,and i cannot add anything to it.... I have an E: Drive that shows over 931 GB of space,but it is Grey-Not highlighted...seems to be dormant....How do i activate it/add to it ? Thanks John R....
  5. Hard drive space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive space: My computer has a 950 gig hard drive. Somehow there is about 860 gig of temporary file useage and I can not see where the space is used at even after using the temporary file clean up function....
  6. no space on hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    no space on hard drive: hello, I have not much space left on hard drive but I don't know what is taking so much space please advice ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-space-on-hard-drive/5d048c6b-e63d-4b69-a5f0-a24668607148
  7. Reclaim storage space

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Reclaim storage space: I have deleted old unnecessary admin user profiles from the windows 10 installation but their user files are not getting deleted from the windows drive. I am also unable to reset the pc. The old files amount to 400 gb on a 500 gb drive. I also suspect though my cloud back ups...
  8. C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive not reclaiming freed disk space: My C drive is showing less than 60GB space free out of 917GB, even though I just moved nearly 150GB worth of files to the cloud (OneDrive). So it should be showing over 200GB fee. How do I get the space back? Note: I have already run Disk Cleanup....
  9. reclaim space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    reclaim space: hi...I recently installed xubuntu on a old packard bell dot .s netbook, I had lots of problems so decided to remove it. I used minitool partition wizard to delete partition but wiped it instead,now minitool partition shows that partition as other,is this the same as...
  10. Reclaim space on hdd

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Reclaim space on hdd: I need to reclaim some space on the hard drive that my Windows 10 is installed on this pc. There is a Windows.old.000 folder (13.2 GB) and a Windows.old folder (9.09 GB). Can I still use Disk Cleanup with Windows 10 to do this, and is it ok to do it? 12190