Windows 10: Recomendations for a program for backing up files

Discus and support Recomendations for a program for backing up files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; All my personal files (Documents, Movies, Pictures and Music) are on an internal 2 GB HDD, Drive D. (The C drive is on an SSD). In case of a fault I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, May 23, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

Recomendations for a program for backing up files

All my personal files (Documents, Movies, Pictures and Music) are on an internal 2 GB HDD, Drive D. (The C drive is on an SSD). In case of a fault I need to have a backup of those personal files. I would prefer that backup to list those files in the same way as the D drive does. For example, folders which are named Documents, Pictures etc. This makes it easy to retrieve a file from the backup if the list of files has the same structure as on the D drive. An example of what I want is in the attachment.

Recomendations for a program for backing up files [​IMG]

The simplest way to keep such a backup up to date is simply to periodically delete all the folders on the backup and copy on to the backup all those folders on the Drive D. But that is clumsy because it involves re-copying files that have not changed (the majority are in that category), and is slow. Much better would be a program which compares the backup with the D drive and makes changes to the backup only as necessary to make it display identically to Drive D.

I have used FreeFileSync which seems ideal, but it gets into a muddle and is now giving messages that it can't handle some files other than simple doument, picture etc. files which I didn't know existed. I make backups of my system using EaseUS ToDo which works well, but it does not produce the simple list as described above.

Any ideas on a suitable program please?

:)

Stevekir, May 23, 2017
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Backing Up Files For Windows 10

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum.

There is no need to worry about the files as when you upgrade to Windows 10, all your files and personal settings to compatible apps and programs will be restored at the same location. However as George suggested it is always recommended to back up your
    data before you perform any such activities on your computer.

For more information on Windows 10 update you may refer to
    Windows 10 FAQ

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, May 23, 2017
  3. Backing Up Files For Windows 10

Its always wise to play safe and backup your data, ( documents, photos, emails, etc that are important to you) , to an external backup medium like a USB HDD before upgrading an OS, just in case something goes wrong.

If you have a backup and something fails or goes wrong, you still have your data on the backup. If you don't have a backup, you may lose it.

George222(2), May 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, excellent that you're using disk images.

As regards files, it depends what sort of strategy you need.
    Considering disk images, you should be able to mount the image and explore it, when you see exactly the same folder layout as on your imaged disk.

Incremental or differential imaging does what you seek
    as that image (smaller and faster) than the base image is comprised of differences to the base image.

What you see in mounting an image would then be a composite- i.e. your disk as last imaged.
    That would seem to meet your requirement.

I'm wondering if you use incremental or differential images - or only keep creating base images?

I'm sure others may suggest specific file backup programs.

If you want on-the-fly backups, Windows offers File History, but that won't provide a browsable view of backed up files as you seek.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  5. Stevekir Win User
    Dalchina.

Thanks. I am runnung right now a newly-created Macrium BU of my D drive (it will take 4 hours). When setting it up I specified one full BU per week and four differential backups. My hope is that during each week there will be 4 diff. backups recording changes, and when the next weekly full BU runs the old one and its diffs will be deleted. Is that right?

I am also hoping that if I need to restore my D drive, the restore will be up to date by, say, a couple of days at most (following my setting of 4 Diffs along with the Full: 7 divided by 4 (or is it 5) being 1.75 days). Is that right?

Many thanks for your help.

Stevekir, May 23, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I'm not sure why you want to update your base image so frequently, unless you make very large changes to the partition.
    You also need to ensure that you have created a new image before the old one is deleted.

4 hrs is a very long time - I assume a large drive over USB2.
    My differential images of my 1Tb internal over USB3 take -oh- under 20 mins.

Sorry, I'll leave the numbers for someone else to review- I don't want to get to that level of detail.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Actually it does. See: Control Panel > File History > Restore personal files

Recomendations for a program for backing up files [​IMG]

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recomendations for a program for backing up files - Similar Threads - Recomendations program backing

2. Back up files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back up files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-files/a08a8c70-05ce-4516-914d-a7c3b2e8af5a
  3. Back Up Files

Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  4. Back Up Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Back Up Files: G'day,I have been trying to find some WORD DOCUMENT FILES. I cannot find them. I have done a BACK UP some time ago. I would like to know how I could look through this back up to see if the files are there. I do not want to RESTORE them. I would like to find my old Document...
  5. back up programs

back up programs: How do I back up programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/back-up-programs/1d6dbbcd-5874-4fb3-81a6-c4725172c1a8
  6. Backing Up Files

Backing Up Files: I have set up the backup feature in settings to an external hard drive via Expansion D. It states that files have been backed up to FileHistory but when I check it contains no files. What am I doing wrong?...
  7. backing up files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    backing up files: I want to change the drive and user that is being used on my computer. They are currently in (F) files user lat10 which is an incorrect user. I want to backup to drive (E) with Linda as the user. I also have many, many files under lat10 that were under lat101 until...
  8. back up files

back up files: cant find my back up files for windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/back-up-files/007e4ca4-6dc2-4498-b5cb-dbf1507d738c
  9. Recomended Clipboard Manager

Recomended Clipboard Manager: Does anyone have experience with any apps for the above? I used Costal Clips with XP but not upgraded since 2007. Main se is to save multiple "copy" items and paste selectively as required. 66841
  10. Backing up programs to a cd

in Windows 10 Support
    Backing up programs to a cd: Good evening to all. Been wondering about backing up all of the small programs that I have downloaded CCleaner for example. Would it be possible to save all those that are in my download folder to a cd/dvd disc, Is that a possibility Please. Many Thanks. David. 85509