Windows 10: Recommend light weight PDF reader please

Discus and support Recommend light weight PDF reader please in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi All, Can anyone please recommend a light weight PDF reader for Windows 10? I installed the latest Adobe reader but it was 750mb and I only have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Cornishman, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Recommend light weight PDF reader please

Hi All,
    Can anyone please recommend a light weight PDF reader for Windows 10?
    I installed the latest Adobe reader but it was 750mb and I only have a small SSD drive.
    I also installed SlimPDF reader, but it didn't seem to work very well.
    Thanks!

:)

Cornishman, Sep 17, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Stop Edge from hijacking the default setting to open PDFs.

1- Use a PDF reader, not your web browser, to read PDFs. A PDF reader will display the PDFs that are in web pages and also separate PDF files you may receive.

Adobe's Acrobat Reader is the big name in PDF readers but many of us prefer a lighter weight application that doesn't include piles of features you'll rarely if ever use or charge extra for features that should be free. The internet has reviews on PDF readers,
    and here are two popular examples:
    Foxit Reader
    and
    Sumatra Reader

2- Make your choice the default for reading PDFs so you don't get prompted every time. Most if not all PDF readers will offer to do this for you automatically while they install.

From the Don't-Do-What-I-Did department: In general, it's a good idea to gain an understanding of an issue instead of automatically blaming Microsoft for everything.

BulldogXX, Sep 17, 2015
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Problems opening PDF in Edge

My recommendation is that you do not try to open pdf files in Edge, nor in any other browser. The best place to open them is in a pdf reader. Even though Adobe Reader is the most popular pdf reader, I recommend the free Foxit reader (Free PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software),
    which I think is much better than Adobe Reader.

Ken Blake, Sep 17, 2015
  4. MikeyTG Win User

Recommend light weight PDF reader please

MikeyTG, Sep 17, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    Use Microsoft Reader.

Recommend light weight PDF reader please [​IMG]

Edwin, Sep 17, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    *Ditto*ThumbsIt's been my PDF reader for the last few years, because it takes on the current applied theme I'm using, is very fast opening.

Cliff S, Sep 17, 2015
  7. robgr Win User
    Try Foxit Reader, see here

robgr, Sep 17, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

BunnyJ, Sep 17, 2015
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Sumatra for me as well.

pparks1, Sep 17, 2015
  10. Cornishman, Sep 17, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    BunnyJ, Sep 17, 2015
  12. nabucco Win User
    nabucco, Sep 18, 2015
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

PDF X-Change Viewer for me too. It also has got some basic editing features, very useful. You can also copy paste bitmaps to PDFs, export pages as bitmaps and generate an OCR layer for searching (when source is bitmapped).

eLPuSHeR, Sep 18, 2015
  14. Thanks to all who answered my question.
    I have installed and tried:
    Sumatra, light weight, but to me, the font didn't seem as clear as some of the others. (in my opinion of course)
    Nitro, I liked, but a few people are having problems with the printing side of this software.
    I've decided to keep for a while, PDF X-Change, this has a bigger footprint than I would have liked, but I've just upgraded to a larger SSD, and I like the look of this program.
    I might go back to Nitro when they iron out the printing problems.
    Thanks again for all the replies!

Cornishman, Sep 18, 2015
  15. eLPuSHeR Win User
    @Cornishman. You can always open a elevated command prompt and do a:

compact /S:"C:\Program Files\Tracker Software" /C /I /EXE:LZX if you are low on free space.

Heck, I have done that to all my Program Files folders and got almost 5 GB back. The main drawback is that you must reissue the command again after updating because the new data gets written in uncompressed form. As for the bright side, I am doing this on a regular mechanical hard drive, so the tiny performance hit for loading apps compressed should be even tinier on a ssd.

Just specifying a folder name with no other options for the compact command gives a report about compression status.
    For me the PDF Xchange Viewer goes from 39,32 MB to 16,31 MB. It takes about 5s to launch.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommend light weight PDF reader please - Similar Threads - Recommend light weight

2. Pdf reader with layers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pdf reader with layers: Is there a free PDF reader available in the Microsoft store with the ability to turn on and off layers? I have been checking them all and not having any luck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-reader-with-layers/72c6765a-8de1-4d69-87f5-0a7aa0c1bd9d
  3. Pdf reader with layers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pdf reader with layers: Is there a free PDF reader available in the Microsoft store with the ability to turn on and off layers? I have been checking them all and not having any luck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-reader-with-layers/72c6765a-8de1-4d69-87f5-0a7aa0c1bd9d
  4. pdf book reader

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    pdf book reader: I am a student and has to read pdf books, underline, highlight and make some notes with help of Pen. In my ipad I was using ibooks for same, but does not know if we have similar app for windows. I dont want to pay 14$ each month to adobe. Is there any such free app which give...
  5. PDF Reader License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PDF Reader License: I purchased a permanent PDF Reader upgrade license which I was charged for. I never got the upgrade and still only have the free version. How can I get my upgrade? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-reader-license/9405fb36-f963-4545-b9f8-8e0ecb484757
  6. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Ok so my English textbooks are pdfs. usually I would use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but one of the textbooks is 500+ pages long, and its sooo slow! ive tried edge, chrome, etc, but none of them work because its simply too big! Should I print it?...
  7. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Looking for a simple pdf reader nothing complicated. I just want it for reading pdf. windows 10 home. simple question I hope. Thank You. David. 124877
  8. Adobe (Pdf) Reader

in Windows 10 Support
    Adobe (Pdf) Reader: Hello, On my pc is installed Adobe pdf reader, it is updated and keeps updating automaticly. Recently when I double click on a pdf document (any), it opens ok, but when I close it by clicking on the X at the upper right corner, it always asks if I want to save the changes I...
  9. Lost PDF reader.

Lost PDF reader.: Doesn't Windows 10 have its own PDF reader? If it does, I can't find it. I downloaded the Adobe Reader, but don't like it. Right clicking on a PDF file only gives me the option to open in Adobe Reader or Edge. 38928
  10. Anyone please recommend a lightweight PDF reader?

Anyone please recommend a lightweight PDF reader?: Anyone please recommend a lightweight PDF reader? I've asked this once before a while ago, but some of the readers then had a few bugs and didn't work well with Windows 10. Thanks!!! 62352