Windows 10: Recommend USB 3 adapter card with USB 2 compatibility, internal USB

Discus and support Recommend USB 3 adapter card with USB 2 compatibility, internal USB in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; (sorry if this is a repost) I need a USB 3 card with 3-4 external ports that are known to work with USB 2 devices, unlike the USB 3 ports on my ASUS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by x509, Feb 21, 2018.

1. x509 Win User

Recommend USB 3 adapter card with USB 2 compatibility, internal USB

(sorry if this is a repost)

I need a USB 3 card with 3-4 external ports that are known to work with USB 2 devices, unlike the USB 3 ports on my ASUS motherboard. This card also needs to have 1 internal USB port. I don't need the 2x20 header connector that supports a cable for 2 external USB 3 ports.

Also appreciated would be recommendations for USB 3 chipset drivers that are known to support USB 2 devices. That would help me identify good cards.

:)

2. HairyFool Win User

USB 2.0 printer to USB 3.0 port

None is required, USB 3 ports are backwards compatible with USB 1/2 devices and leads. The extra terminals of USB 3 are in a second row which a USB 2 lead does not connect to.

USB C is different and yes Amazon do sell adapters for these.

HairyFool, Feb 21, 2018
  3. Nokia C7 - Copying large files failure...

How are you copying? USB, USB memory stick in USB on the go adapter cable??

Are you copying to internal memory or memory card?

jacobsladder---01, Feb 21, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

Go ask Fernando over at the Win-RAID.com forums (you'll need to join). He knows more about Windows and USB than anybody else I know. Ask him what he would buy for his PC if he needed to add USB ports. He won't steer you wrong.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: He's the owner/operator of those forums, in case you didn't know.

EdTittel, Feb 21, 2018
  5. x509 Win User
    Ed,

I just went to the Win-RAID forum. They are really hardcore. *Wink For everyone who has never been there, these guys don't just tweak windows. They tweak BIOSes. *Eek

6. CountMike New Member
    USB 2 and 3 are totally compatible but some devices like printers and scanners may object if plugged in wrong USB. For USB3 it's important for add-in card to be PCIe to get full USB3/3.1 speed. For now, add-in cards with Asmedia chips are best. Most also include Molex or SATA connectors for more power so type of that power connector should also be taken into account depending if and which one you have available free from PSU.

CountMike, Feb 23, 2018
  7. x509 Win User
    CountMike,

Thanks for the reply. However, my ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard uses ASMedia drivers. Not sure about the chips. This whole thread is motivated by the fact that the ASUS motherboard has USB 3 ports that don't work with USB 2 devices.

8. CountMike New Member

Have you checked for BIOS update, I have 2 Asus MBs with ASMedia chips and drivers and on both USB 2 and 3 are fully interchangeable except for a printer which complains but works anyway and a scanner that flatly refuses to work on USB3.

CountMike, Feb 24, 2018
  9. x509 Win User
    CountMike,

Coincidentally I did check recently on the ASUS website. Since this is an old board, they haven't updated the BIOS in several years now. I'm running 4801, same as on the board.

I have a USB 3 port in a drive bay multi-format card reader, and that port works fine with USB 2 devices that don't work with the motherboard ports.

x509, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommend USB 3 adapter card with USB 2 compatibility, internal USB - Similar Threads - Recommend USB adapter

2. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  3. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2: I have a usb 3.0 capture card and the video quality is sub-par. I ran USBDeview, and it shows the device running on usb version 2.0. I verified the device is 3.0, the port and cable are both blue. I have switched ports and cables. I plugged my ssd card in port 1 and it is...
  4. USB 3 device only connecting as USB 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device: So i have a usb 3 hub that i use but if i connect a usb 2 device it will connect and disconnect repeatedly and disconnect it fully. Is there any way of fixing this?...
  6. Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb 3 hub not recognising usb 2 device: So i have a usb 3 hub that i use but if i connect a usb 2 device it will connect and disconnect repeatedly and disconnect it fully. Is there any way of fixing this?...
  7. my usb 3 being detected as a usb 2

my usb 3 being detected as a usb 2: my usb is being detected as a usb 2 that's a usb 3 port and cable by the oculus app and usb tree and i don't know how to make it work as a usb 3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-usb-3-being-detected-as-a-usb-2/711552c9-3958-44a2-9259-b38530ebfa4b
  8. USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted

USB 2 on bootup but USB 3 when rebooted: Good afternoon everyone, I'm having an issue on my machine where when I boot the machine up the USB3 ports on the back are recognised and operate as USB2 at USB2 speeds. When I reboot the machine though, the USB ports are then recognised as USB3 and operate at USB 3...
  9. eSATA to USB 3 adapter?

eSATA to USB 3 adapter?: Sort of a hardware question: I I have an old PC with an front panel eSATA port (not power eSATA or eSATA + USB) and a couple USB 2 ports but no USB 3 ports. I have no need for eSATA but have a number of USB 3.0 devices. I've been looking for an eSTAT-m to USB 3.0-f adapter or...
  10. USB 2 devices not always compatable with USB 3 ports on Windows 10 PC

USB 2 devices not always compatable with USB 3 ports on Windows 10 PC: In troubleshooting problems with USB devices, I have read that the 1st thing to look for is an updated hardware driver. However, I have found that, before pursuing a new hardware drivers, the 1st thing to look for is if the device works after plugging it into a USB 2 port, if...