Windows 10: Recommendation for image backup software

Discus and support Recommendation for image backup software in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi All, Just wondering what image backup software do you recommend? I've been using Acronis 2016 and I've had a couple of minor niggles with it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Cornishman, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Recommendation for image backup software

Hi All,
    Just wondering what image backup software do you recommend?
    I've been using Acronis 2016 and I've had a couple of minor niggles with it lately and am thinking about changing.
    I would prefer something with a small footprint and an easy to use interface.

:)

Cornishman, Oct 5, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Backup complete C: ?

System Image Backup is about to be discontinued. Microsoft recommends the use of third-party image backup software.

BulldogXX, Oct 5, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Creating a backup of a complete Windows installation encrypted via a third-party application

You should not use Windows' own System Image Backup to make an image of your hard drives. Microsoft deprecated System Image Backup and recommends instead that people use third-party image backup software.

(Deprecated means that the software is still available but the developer - Microsoft, in this case - no longer recommends using it.)

Everything on your hard drives - your data, programs, settings, etc. - is really just one enormously long string of 0's and 1's. That's true whether or not the hard drives are encrypted. Everything is just 0's and 1's. Backup image software backs up the
    0's and 1's. It doesn't know what the 0's and 1's are nor does it matter to the backup image software.

BulldogXX, Oct 5, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

Recommendation for image backup software

topgundcp, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    I use Macrium and it has never let me down.

Winuser, Oct 5, 2015
  6. ARYLIOA Win User
    I have used Acronis, in various versions since 2008 because at the time it was the only product that would do incremental backups using the modified date instead of the archive bit. That is important to me since I do daily incremental backups of my data from a network drive that does not use the archive bit. I have stuck with it only because of my continuing investment in updates. I have seen them add more and more "features" and remove more and more "functionality" with each edition.

So: I set my sister's computer up to do image backups using Macrium several years ago. After the continuing good experience on her computer I recently recommended Macrium to a neighbor who was looking to replace the built-in Windows backup because it refused to burn his boot software to a flash drive. He has used Macrium for several months, including test restorations. He reports that it is faster and produces smaller images than the Windows version. And he can boot from a flash drive. Note that he is running W7, so can't speak for any changes which might have happened to the W10 version.

ARYLIOA, Oct 5, 2015
  7. I think that I will migrate from Acronis to Macrium, or at least give it a try.
    I have been happy will Acronis until recently, but have experienced a few hiccups with the software.
    I shall keep Acronis installed for a while.
    I have just downloaded and installed the free version of Macrium, then when, and if I need to restore my image, I shall use Macrium first, and see if all goes well. If it does then I shall uninstall Acronis.
    I don't want to keep both.
    I wonder if the free version of Macrium would suffice me? I just do full backups, once a month alternately to each of my two internal hard drives.

Cornishman, Oct 5, 2015
  8. pjmarkert Win User

Google Redo Backup, works great and is fast

pjmarkert, Oct 5, 2015
  9. Whatphoeb Win User
    I've been using EaseUS and Macrium

Whatphoeb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommendation for image backup software - Similar Threads - Recommendation image backup

2. Please recommend a Backup software that does the following! Thank you!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Please recommend a Backup software that does the following! Thank you!: Hello everyone, I'm a bit desperate at this point and I need your help! For the past week I've been testing backup software and I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Ironically, I thought my needs were the bare minimum in what a backup software does. Please recommend a...
  3. Recommendation for Win 11 Backup and Recovery Software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommendation for Win 11 Backup and Recovery Software: I would appreciate any recommendations for backup & recovery software for my new Acer Aspire XC desktop computer. I'm running Win 11 Home 22H2. I only back-up once a week as this is simply an email and light games home computer. The software must:1. Be able to back-up the...
  4. Recommendation for Win 11 Backup and Recovery Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendation for Win 11 Backup and Recovery Software: I would appreciate any recommendations for backup & recovery software for my new Acer Aspire XC desktop computer. I'm running Win 11 Home 22H2. I only back-up once a week as this is simply an email and light games home computer. The software must:1. Be able to back-up the...
  5. What is currently recommended for image backups on Window 10 & 11

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is currently recommended for image backups on Window 10 & 11: I saw a post dated July 16, 2019, recommending free Macrium for image backups. Then I saw another post saying that free Macrium was being retired. What is currently recommended for doing image backups of Windows 10 and Windows 11 I have two desktops running 10 and a laptop...
  6. Recommended imaging software for Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recommended imaging software for Windows 10?: I want to move Windows 10 from a small NVME drive to a larger one. This is on an ASUS laptop so I can't do a generic Windows installation. Anyone have suggestions on imaging application or methods to accomplish the above with minimum fuss? freeware or shareware? Note: laptop...
  7. Bootable USB image backup software search

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Bootable USB image backup software search: Am using Acronis TI 2020 and use its feature to create a bootable USB image backup. But I have issues with Acronis -like always running and doing things I didn't ask it to do. So am looking for another software product that will also create bootable image USBs, so I don't...
  8. Image cloning/backup software recommendation sought

Image cloning/backup software recommendation sought: I am looking at Acronis or Macrium. Any thoughts? Is the free version of Macrium good or should I buy one. Many thanks SM 125805
  9. Recommend backup software for 10

Recommend backup software for 10: Hi ... I'm curious if anyone is using a backup software with windows 10 ? And, if so which are you using ? I always been a Acronis True Image user but their latest version 2015 I really hate the whole interface of it . I did try it out but it has fail when I try to restore an...
  10. Backup strategy recommendations

Backup strategy recommendations: A friend has asked me for help in setting up a backup strategy for her computer. I am way out of date on the best practices in this area. It's a desktop computer currently running Windows 7 but she wants to bring it up to date with Windows 10 so I'm looking for a good backup...