Windows 10: Recommendation Sought - What is the "Safe Way" to obtain and install Missing Windows files?

Discus and support Recommendation Sought - What is the "Safe Way" to obtain and install Missing Windows files? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello everyone, This is a bit of an odd question. I am trying to install and use a piece of freeware CAD Computer-Aided Design software called... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by sad_bunny, Dec 21, 2019.

1. sad_bunny Win User

Recommendation Sought - What is the "Safe Way" to obtain and install Missing Windows files?

Hello everyone,

This is a bit of an odd question. I am trying to install and use a piece of freeware CAD Computer-Aided Design software called OpenSCAD. See here for details:-

https://www.openscad.org/

My challenge is that when I try to run the Windows installer which downloads correctly, passes it's Checksum test and returns a clear result from virus scanning the installation completes but then the program does not run. I get 3 error messages in turn, telling me that 3 DLL files are missing. The files in question are:-

EVR.dll
    MF.dll
    MFPlat.dll

A user on the GitHub forum for OpenSCAD has just replied to the ticket I raised to tell me that the 3 files are present on his Windows 7 system, even though they are missing from my Windows 10 Pro/64 buildl.

Obviously I can search for these file names and I see lots of web sites offering to allow me to download these "missing" DLL files "for free", but it seems as though this would be a highly risky approach and one prone to exposure to malware or worse.

So my question is: given that these 3 files appear to be Microsoft original files, can somebody please recommend how/where I could obtain themfrom a Microsoft source so that I don't have to risk compromising my machine?

Thank you in Advance

:)

sad_bunny, Dec 21, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Melvis Win User
    PC Cant Obtain a IP Address, Need some advice!

Step 1: Click START button
    Step 2: In the Search area, type "regedt32" (of course don't include the ""), right click on the search result and "Run as Administrator".

Step 3: Click on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", should expand out to a list of stuff
    Step 4: Next choose "SYSTEM", should expand again
    Step 5: Choose "CurrentControlSet", expands again
    Step 6: Choose "Services", expands to a super large list of stuff

Step 7: Click on "Dhcp", the right window will show the files in that folder
    Step 8: Double click on "DependOnService"
    Step 9: Delete all the words in text area, except "Afd", and click OK. You are done here

Step 10: Next under "Services", look for "EapHost", this should be a few folders below Dhcp Step 11: Same thing, double click on the file "DependOnService"
    Step 12: Delete everything in the text are and click OK. You are done.

Now, close everything and RESTART WINDOWS. Your WLan should be back and working once your computer starts. Hope this saves you like it saved me. Thanks to original poster for the wonderful resolution. Your post was almost too obscure to find, but I'm glad this is SOLVED! I'll be spreading the word around to save people from the constant agony of WLAN SVC going balistic every time after a registry cleanup."

THIS^ FIXED IT!! yay thanks everyone!!

Melvis, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Recommendation Sought - What is the "Safe Way" to obtain and install Missing Windows files?

Why did the startup window get cleared?

I didn't missed any step, the list was gone and gone , even after using lot of programs the programs were not listed in that list.

smartali89, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Recommendation Sought - What is the "Safe Way" to obtain and install Missing Windows files?

1. Recommendation Sought - What is the "Safe Way" to obtain and install Missing Windows files? - Similar Threads - Recommendation Sought Safe

2. Recommendation for a safe duplicate file cleaner?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recommendation for a safe duplicate file cleaner?: I see recommendations for back in 2019. Wondering if anyone has 2023 recommendations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recommendation-for-a-safe-duplicate-file-cleaner/0f3d6c49-41bc-4a37-865f-cddf66357642
  3. Recommendation for a safe duplicate file cleaner?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recommendation for a safe duplicate file cleaner?: I see recommendations for back in 2019. Wondering if anyone has 2023 recommendations? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recommendation-for-a-safe-duplicate-file-cleaner/0f3d6c49-41bc-4a37-865f-cddf66357642
  4. Recommendation for a safe duplicate file cleaner?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What is the recommended Page File Size on Windows 10: Hi, I'm running short of space on my Windows 10 64 bit PC. I carried out a clean install of windows 10 approx 2 months ago. I have a 256 SSD with 16 GB Ram and the page size is set at 25466 MB. Is this too big. I also run Disk clean-up and then system files, and it showed up...
  6. Safe way to move files/folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Safe way to move files/folders: Hello, My two-month-old Dell G7's OS(C:) has only 64GB free of 219GB. This is my first gaming laptop with the SSD/HDD combination; I now realise that I should have directed some files and folders to DATA(D:) from the beginning. I have begun to Move some and I get error code...
  7. What Is Best Way To Obtain 1903

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What Is Best Way To Obtain 1903: I noticed that Win10 1903 is now available for download and would like to update my desktop. I am in no hurry but my question is do I need to go ahead and download it myself or should I just wait for the update to be sent from Microsoft to my computer. I have been reading the...
  8. Recommendation - Safe Compression (ZIP) file software for W10

Recommendation - Safe Compression (ZIP) file software for W10: Good morning, Would appreciate if someone could recommend downloadable software that can compress and de-compress Windows files and audio/video files. Thank You * Moved from Office...
  9. Remedy sought

Remedy sought: Why is there a double entry on file explorer for my attached passport disc partitions,, windows 10, ie Partiton G: is repeated in list of partitons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remedy-sought/a0f30292-b3c9-4391-9d65-747c5b1f34b3"
  10. Image cloning/backup software recommendation sought

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Image cloning/backup software recommendation sought: I am looking at Acronis or Macrium. Any thoughts? Is the free version of Macrium good or should I buy one. Many thanks SM 125805