Windows 10: recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive?

Discus and support recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just got Windows 10. I've been using the cloud backup/folder syncing service Jungle Disk on Windows 7 for a while. I'm not very happy with Jungle... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by mike1127, Apr 7, 2016.

1. mike1127 Win User

recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive?

I just got Windows 10. I've been using the cloud backup/folder syncing service Jungle Disk on Windows 7 for a while. I'm not very happy with Jungle Disk... no end of bugs and problems. Because Microsoft is pushing OneDrive so hard with Windows 10, I thought I would ask a question about it.

Here are three features I like about Jungle Disk, and I would like to know if OneDrive provides them. Also, if you know of other cloud backup/syncing services that might be a little more stable than Jungle Disk, let me know.

(1) A lot of control and options about what files to backup/sync, how many versions to keep, etc. I don't want a "push one button" solution.

(2) Syncing with local storage. I can work locally if I want to, and then when I next connect to the internet my folder is merged with the network storage. Syncing happens practically in real time, so you always have several not very old versions available immediately after a mistake.

(3) Traditional daily backups that give a form of protection from cryptolocker. My large files are vulnerable to cryptolocker... I don't sync those because I can't afford to pay for the storage of many versions, plus the bandwidth to sync them in real time would be prohibitive. I do automated daily backups to local drives, but those are connected 24/7 so if cryptolocker strikes, it will lock those too. The solution is a form of daily backup with Jungle Disk that stores just a few old versions of every file and can't be accessed by cryptolocker.

Mike

:)

mike1127, Apr 7, 2016

2. reset my windows without removing my files

Under Settings, choose Update & Security, then the Recovery section. When you pick the Reset option, it will ask if you want to keep your files. Choose YES.

I would recommend you also make your own backup too, just to be safe. For example put your files on a USB stick or in the OneDrive folder and let it finish syncing to the cloud backup.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 7, 2016
  3. Moving old Windows 10 PC to a new Windows 10 PC, how to transfer settings, program and files?

There is also a great new backup feature in Google Drive that lets you choose your User folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, special folders, etc) to have them sync in real time up to 15g free to the Google cloud. This is in addition to the old Google Drive
    folder you drag folders into to sync them.

I presently root my User folders in One drive to sync them across all devices, then have Google Drive backup for my User folders as a secondary.

Sync, Backup and Store your Files to the Cloud with OneDrive

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 7, 2016
  4. TONSCHUH Win User

TONSCHUH, Apr 7, 2016
  5. Boice Win User
    I have used OneDrive on Windows 7. Is it pushing hard with Windows 10? Sorry not sure about that. Anyway, since now I employ multiple cloud drives to save different types of documents, I use MultCloud for a central management which is a free web app that has the ability to access all cloud storage in one place. More than 20 services such as Google Drive, Dropbox, etc are supported. It also realizes schedule backup/sync.

Boice, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. recommendations for cloud backup and syncing -- OneDrive? - Similar Threads - recommendations cloud backup

2. Onedrive sync and backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive sync and backup: Hi, a few questions on onedrive, just starting to use it now. 1 I see there is a onedrive folder, if I select the choose folders in the app, it only offers me stuff in that onedrive folder to sync. How do I sync other folders like 'mydocuments' 'mypictures' or some other...
  3. Onedrive sync and backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Onedrive sync and backup: Hi, a few questions on onedrive, just starting to use it now. 1 I see there is a onedrive folder, if I select the choose folders in the app, it only offers me stuff in that onedrive folder to sync. How do I sync other folders like 'mydocuments' 'mypictures' or some other...
  4. Onedrive sync and backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  6. OneDrive File Syncing and Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive File Syncing and Backup: Just set up a new Windows 11 laptop for a senior in a nearby retirement community. Copied all his data to the new machine. Signed into Onedrive and went to "choose folders" in settings. Desktop, Documents and Pictures were available to "check", but music was not. He has lots...
  7. OneDrive folder not syncing with cloud

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive folder not syncing with cloud: Hi, this my first post here. I don't know if I have put this in the correct forum, apologies if not. My Windows Version is 20H2. For some reason I created my OneDrive folder within my existing OneDrive setup, in C:\Users\Username\OneDrive\Email attachments\Documents. I don't...
  8. OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Video on PC backup/sync: I have Windows 10. I have Office365 with OneDrive 1TB cloud storage. In OneDrive, you can select Desktop, Documents, and/or Pictures for automatic backup and sync. In File Explorer, under "This PC," I also have folders for Videos and Music. Why is there no selection in...
  9. OneDrive on Windows 10 cannot complete sync with OneDrive in cloud

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OneDrive on Windows 10 cannot complete sync with OneDrive in cloud: Since upgrading to Windows 10 build 1803 my OneDrive is perpetually "updating files." In addition system restore does not work because it cannot extract OneDrive from a restore point. That's probably because it times out waiting for OneDrive to finish a sync. I've tried...
  10. Backup files to OneDrive without syncing

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup files to OneDrive without syncing: Hello I want to back up my music collection from my D-drive. I have copied (drag & drop) my files from D: to OneD – that was easy, intuitive and straight forward. However OneDrive is now trying synchronise my newly copied files back with my PC. It is not syncing with the...