Windows 10: Recommendations for transferring files

Discus and support Recommendations for transferring files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since Windows 10 did away with Windows Easy Transfer, are there any free utilities that will do the transfer? LapLinks PCmover costs "$59.95",... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rboppy, Feb 7, 2017.

1. rboppy Win User

Recommendations for transferring files

Since Windows 10 did away with Windows Easy Transfer, are there any free utilities that will do the transfer?

LapLinks PCmover costs "$59.95", anyone have any experience with it, is it worth it to transfer programs as well as data?

:)

rboppy, Feb 7, 2017

2. file transfered

I transferred files using laplink pcmover as recommended but cant find files transferred on new pc???

KarenRestelli, Feb 7, 2017
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    AVI file will not play on Windows

Hi,

There's a possibility that the file may get corrupted during the transfer process. We recommend transferring the file using a USB cable instead of using a memory card reader.

Feel free to post back for the results.

Regards.

Romel Ram, Feb 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

What do you want to transfer data or software?

Samuria, Feb 7, 2017
  5. Kari Win User
    LapLink PC Mover Express costs at the moment $14.95: PC Mover Express

[youtube]U5GQG8jegsI[/youtube]

Video from Ten Forums video thread.

Kari, Feb 7, 2017
  6. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Kari, I didn't watch the entire video, since I knew how to use WET, do you know if their licence is the same as the professional version?
    A better question; why would Windows partner with someone who charges for software that they used to supply for free, I really hat getting gouged.*Mad

P.S. lots of good info in the instructional videos you linked to, thanks.

rboppy, Feb 8, 2017
  7. Kari Win User
    When the offer was originally published (and the video made), PC Mover Express was free. I would not be surprised if Microsoft was told it is and will remain free, then LapLink simply decided to put a price on it.

The Express version has some limitations, most important being that it can't move applications, only user data.

BTW, the full version costs today €35.95 / £31.95 / $44.95 (Laplink | PCmover(R)).

Kari, Feb 8, 2017
  8. rboppy Win User

I looked at that, but it is only licensed for 2 computers, I'm transfer data between 3 computers. I replied to Samuria before your original post but for some reason it didn't get posted.

I bought a new computer, my wife is getting my old computer.

rboppy, Feb 8, 2017
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    What OS did your old computer have and what OS does you new computer have? If they are the same, such as Windows 10 Home 64-bit, then you can just move the entire hard drive over - either physically, or by cloning.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2017
  10. rboppy Win User
    All referenced computers are laptops. Old computer is 64-bit Windows10 Professional with a 1TB HD, new computer is 64-bit Windows 10 Home with a 256GB SSD and 1TB HD, wife's computer is 64-bit Windows 10 Home, 500GB HD.

Both (old) computers are backed up to a Linux box using Window File History.

rboppy, Feb 8, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Ahhh....then there are some issues to overcome! If there weren't such large differences in the systems, I could help you just move the entire OS over. But with such major differences, I've never moved applications over using any software, I've always started with a clean install and set everything up from scratch. Sorry can't help more.

NavyLCDR, Feb 8, 2017
  12. rboppy Win User
    Me too, was looking for a short cut, thanks.

rboppy, Feb 8, 2017
  13. Samuria Win User

To backup data the simple and safest way is to use onedrive and google drive juat save data there and its safe on the cloud you can get to it via any device and the 2 give you like 13 gig if you have 2 accounts thats 26 gig if your house get robbed or on fire you data is safe

Samuria, Feb 8, 2017
  14. rboppy Win User
    Off topic:
    I use Windows File History for backup, I've instructed it to delete old backups older then 30 days, for some reason it doesn't do that so my backup files are really big, between my wife's and mine it's over 76GB. Plus it very time consuming to go into the backup files and delete the old one manually.

In case of fire or theft, I back up all our sensitive data to a thumb drive once a week, which I carry with me all the time. If File History ever gets fixed Google Drive sounds good. Thanks for your suggestion.

rboppy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommendations for transferring files - Similar Threads - Recommendations transferring files

2. transferring files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    transferring files: im trying to transfer files from my laptop to my flashdrive and also from a flashdrive to another flashdrive.. the flashdrive is usb 3 so i was expecting that it would be a bit fast.. but i dont know why when im transferring files speed is fast at first but after like a...
  3. Need recommendation for a file renamer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need recommendation for a file renamer: Have an awful lot of image files to rename need something like YY-MM-DD of picture taken from Exif data, then a sequential number, then my text E.g. 2013-08-23-007-My holiday in Bognor tried file renamer basic, which I have used for years, but seems to only be able to use the...
  4. Duplicate file finder recommendations?

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate file finder recommendations?: I have a bunch for directories full of photos that I'm trying to organize and remove duplicates. Many of these duplicates have different file names. 152311
  5. File encryption software recommendations

File encryption software recommendations: Hey all. I'm looking for file encryption software recommendations. Basically I need something to secure my important files on my own device and also on cloud storage. I've been looking at some options and right now I'm trying to choose between NordLocker, VeraCrypt and...
  6. transfer files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer files: Alas, the motherboard died on our windows 7 computer, but the files are still readable. What is the easiest method to transfer files to our new windows 10 computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files/570031b6-48d1-4bf0-a124-1050f29f86b6"
  7. transfer files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    transfer files: Hi I've got a game on my other phone I just need to know how to get it on to my new one Can anyone help it will be greatly appreciated thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-files/39e11b3f-83b2-4507-a007-47ac7577dd88"
  8. transfer files

in Windows 10 Customization
    transfer files: I have a pc that will not boot up, black screen, is there any way to transfer my files to a new pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/transfer-files/78b496b0-b239-45b6-9932-306da48d8810
  9. Recommend a fast file transfer app?

Recommend a fast file transfer app?: Recommend a fast file transfer app? 111815
  10. Recommendation for an alternative file explorer

Recommendation for an alternative file explorer: Hi All, Can anyone please give me a recommendation for an alternative file explorer. I have downloaded a trial version of xplorer2 and it seems quite good. Are their any alternatives? Thanks 66327