Windows 10: Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES

Discus and support Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ello Folks! Looking to get the Portable Hard-drive thats right for me. I want to mainly keep documents on this and some other stuff. Like pictures... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Captain, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Captain Win User

Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES

Ello Folks!
    Looking to get the Portable Hard-drive thats right for me.
    I want to mainly keep documents on this and some other stuff.
    Like pictures but not a ton. Mainly documents in PDF format.
    I want this mainly to keep all my licensing and regulatory stuff all in one area.
    Trust me... the Coast Guard has enough PDF's to bury you in!

I'm not picky; but a few musts!
    • At least 1TB or more.
    • Slim/compact able to take safety on the go.
    • Security of some kind to prevent on authorized access.
    • Something that will last a long time.

Let the recommendations begin!

--------------------------------------------------------
    TO: admin:
    If this should be; in another spot, let me know.

:)

Captain, Jun 18, 2017
  2. PetrusQ Win User

Do I have BitLocker on Windows 10

I'm running Windows 10 and have a new portable external hard drive.

How can I password-protect this drive? Does Windows 10 come with the capability to lock an external drive?

(I have an older external drive that has built-in security and I am surprised that this is not a standard feature with external drives, especially portable ones, where they contain an image of a password-protected internal hard drive).

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

PetrusQ, Jun 18, 2017
  3. All Portable 2.5 External USB hard drives Suddenly stopped working in Win 10 over a year after the upgrade

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

1. What is the make and model of your computer ?

2. Did you perform any major changes to your computer prior to the issue ?
    3. Does the pc recognizes the USB device, if it is plugged in directly?

The issue might be due to the corrupted / incompatible driver.

Please follow these methods, mentioned below, to resolve the issue:

Method 1:

You may also update the Universal Serial Bus controllers driver from Device Manager manually and check, if this helps.

•Press (Windows key + X) and click on “Device Manager”.

•Expand “Universal Serial Bus controllers ”.

•Right click on the Universal Serial Bus controllers drivers and select “Update Driver Software”. Once this is done, restart the computer and check, if it works.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 2.

Method 2:

Uninstall and reinstall the Universal Serial Bus controllers driver and check, if it works. Refer to the following steps to uninstall the Universal Serial Bus controllers driver from the Device Manager.

a. Click on Windows key + X key and then, select Device Manager.

b. Locate and expand “Universal Serial Bus controllers” in the Device Manager Window.

c. Right-click on the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” and click on “uninstall".

d. Restart the computer and check, if it works.

If the issue still persists, follow the Method 3.

Method 3:

Install the latest Universal Serial Bus controllers driver in Compatibility mode:

I suggest you to download the latest Universal Serial Bus controllers driver from manufacture's website and install it in compatibility mode.

1. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select
    Properties

2. Select Compatibility Tab.

3. Place a check mark next to Run this program in
    Compatibility Mode and select the operating system accordingly from the drop down list.

4. Let the driver to install and then, check the functionality.

Also, suggest you to refer the below suggestion by Antony Jose replied on October 20, 2015 and see if the issue persist.

Error code 43 Universal Serial Bus port issue Windows 10.

Let us know if this helps.

Keep us posted for further assistance, we are here to assist you

Akheel Ahmed, Jun 18, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

I've not had problems with my WDC [Western Digital] 750GB and 1TB HDDs that can be put in one's pocket. Nice part of them is they run from a single USB port for both data and power, the smaller is USB 2.0 and the larger is USB 3.0 but is backward to most USB 2.0 ports. I believe I saw WDC has a 2TB model.

Their My Book drives are portable with have larger capacities but are bigger and heavier with their own power supply, use the 3.5" desktop-type HDDs in them. The Passport uses the 2.5" drive like used in most Notebooks/Laptops. There are other brands available. My next purchase probably will be a 1TB Toshiba Canvio that includes software to read/write to the Windows NTFS formatting from my MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra.

Berton, Jun 18, 2017
  5. I like my WD (Western Digital) Elements, 2 TB. I don't use all the software features available from WD for it, but it WORKS. Just like it came out of the box.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Wiley Coyote, Jun 18, 2017
  6. Edwin New Member
    I've purchased numerous WD Passport Ultra's, never had an problems.

Edwin, Jun 18, 2017
  7. Captain Win User
    Berton,

Thanks for the recommendations.
    I have been looking at "My Passport Drives" in the past.
    I've only recently per, your post; been looking into the Western Digital(WD) products.
    I trust at least one is, nice with Windows Ten, some passport drives have had failures
    to work correctly or even connect with a WIN10 PC, from what I've read
    on verified product testers/reviewers.

CWgilley,

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Yeah, I'll keep the software for the External Drive; just in case.*sarc
    I removed some software on those little flash drives back, when *Cruzer Duo* was the thing.
    I wish, I would have kept the software as the security for the files was; in that. *Banghead
    So I'm leaving any software, it in for that matter; untouched.

Edwin,

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Yeah, it's good to know these things. I mean I can't afford for me to loose these files;
    so I'm glad your noting there has not been any problems with that specific product & model.

Captain, Jun 18, 2017
  8. pparks1 Win User

I've carried a 400GB WD Passport for years without any trouble.
    For past year or so, I've carried a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus.

I just picked up a 2TB seagate expansion portable drive for my Xbox One.

pparks1, Jun 18, 2017
  9. Steve C Win User
    I have two basic Seagate Expansion drives and I've never had any problems.

Steve C, Jun 19, 2017
  10. Captain Win User
    Never heard of that brand before, I'll be checking it out soon.
    Going to look at the selection of some stores ,in my area once; I'm back in town.
    Thanks again for everyones input Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES :)
    I'll mark as *Solved* tonight sometime around 12am ET.
    So if anyone else has anymore recommendations please post em in here.
    L

Captain, Jun 27, 2017
  11. tracit99 Win User
    I purchased a WD 2TB My Passport and I really like this drive. Small and light weight and reasonablely priced. It includes a security app, however I have never used it. The only recommendation I would make is get a USB 3.0 model. Even you don't have USB 3.0 now you may in the future and you will be ready.

tracit99, Jun 27, 2017
  12. Captain Win User
    Yeah I'll note that; I have already had the disappointment when my 2.0 lil flash drive was found not compatible with most windows 10's. I may want to get one with ports for both 2.0 & 3.0, That's possible; if I act fast well some might still be on the shelves. Or better yet just purchase one of those 2.0 to 3.0 convert things and be good to go.

Captain, Jun 27, 2017
  13. tracit99 Win User

I use WD My Passport on both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 with same connector. Nothing else to buy. Regardless of which drive you decide on get the model number and go to nextag.com and check for lowest price.

tracit99, Jun 27, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    The problem with such a converter in USB 2.0 ports is you'll never get USB 3.0 speeds. I needed more USB 3.0 ports on a computer so bought a USB 3.0 card for a PCIe X1 slot on the motherboard, got 4 more ports on the back of the computer. Mine was branded Anker. Such a card is not a choice for a Notebook/Laptop/Tablet, no place to put it.

I have only 4 older Thumb drives, less than 8GB, that won't work on USB 3.0 ports, keep them for when working on older computers.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommendations On: PORTABLE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES - Similar Threads - Recommendations PORTABLE EXTERNAL

2. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  3. Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop updated and Seagate External Portable Hard Drive Not Working: My laptop update by itself and now when ever I try to use my seagate external portable hard drive the computer tells me that "D:\ is not accessible, The file or directory is corrupted and unreadabale"...
  4. Portable hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Portable hard drive: Someone previously saved my hard drive contents to a portable external drive. That was a year ago, and I want to update what is saved. I don't know how to do that. Help please?...
  5. portable hard drive to USB

portable hard drive to USB: I have a portable hard drive and I am using a USB sync and charge cable. It lights up and flashes but doesn't show in File Explorer. It shows in Devices and printers but can't access it. Tried each USB port and on 2 laptops. Any advice please...
  6. External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.

External usb portable Hard Drives 500 Gb, Not recognised on plug in.: Has not been used for 6 years. Buffalo mini-station and Western Digital. Windows says all drivers are the most recent. Being aged there are some terms bandied around online regarding this type of issue which exceed my level of competence updating chipsets, migrating, stuff...
  7. Do you recommend this portable drive?

Do you recommend this portable drive?: https://www.amazon.com/Encrypted-Por...-2-spons&psc=1 A physical encrypted portable hard drive. Is anyone using this? I once bought a portable drive (I forget the brand) otherwise than Seagate or WD the quality was so awful that the transfer speed was like 5MB /s with USB...
  8. portable hard drive concern

portable hard drive concern: Hi, I've got a number of portable hard drives but they are often not really portable, I only use them home but from time to time, especially for the Seagate one, where it didn't come with rubber pads at the bottom, from time to time, I could accidentally move it a little bit...
  9. portable / external DVD drive / writer?

portable / external DVD drive / writer?: Most of them are ranged from 20 to 30 US dollars on Amazon. Are they practically the same quality build and the only difference is the writing speed /reading speed etc?And there is no critical difference? btw, which brand do you recommend? 119820
  10. USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?

USB Flash Drive vs Portable External Hard drive for everyday use?: Hello everyone! Good day to you! For my laptop, I am stuck on deciding whether I should use a 128gb or 256gb flash drive or a 1tb portable external drive for my every day use like storing my software, documents etc. and use it for when I am out and about as well. What do you...