Windows 10: Recommended backup plan, use google drive for file history?

Discus and support Recommended backup plan, use google drive for file history? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I'm getting ready for an online/remote job and finally trying to set up an easy and complete back-up process on/for my Windows 10 version 1909... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by AbbyHyde, Jun 16, 2020.

1. AbbyHyde Win User

Recommended backup plan, use google drive for file history?

Hi, I'm getting ready for an online/remote job and finally trying to set up an easy and complete back-up process on/for my Windows 10 version 1909 laptop. I have an external hard drive and a google drive account. I'm thinking to use Google Drive for File History - is that feasible? And then use the external drive for system image, as I've read you shouldn't have file history and system image on same drive. I have a recovery flash drive from when I purchased the laptop. I'd like to automate back-ups.
    I'm thinking of using SyncBackFree (have never used it). Does it have advantage over using the existing Windows settings?
    Is is possible to schedule File History to backup to Google Drive perhaps daily and keep a week's worth of files? I'm not worried about 'versions' - just having the most recent version in case I delete a file by mistake. Can I put system image backup and file history on same external drive? Is there anything else I should be doing or recommendations for other tools? I'm on limited budget - free is better for me!
    thanks in advance!
    Abby

:)

AbbyHyde, Jun 16, 2020
  2. Nigel_MCG Win User

File History Bugs: Duplicates File Backups and Doesn't Remember Backup Items

I'm also experiencing problems with File History in Windows 10.

My thoughts:

• I would like an option to create a backup plan and manually choose the folders I want backed up .
    • I would like this backup plan to only do a backup when a file has changed since the last backup and not just because it's in the folder.
    • Finally I would like to choose the number of versions it saves.

Google provides revision history for files and this works perfectly, hence the reason for using Google Drive.

I've turned off Backup for the moment and use Google Drive for all my important files.

By all means keep the automated system for those who don't want to think about it, but provide some user interaction that works for those who want it.

It would be nice to have a full system backup image that can be scheduled as well, say once a week with only 2 copies stored by dropping the oldest one each time.

Nigel_MCG, Jun 16, 2020
  3. File History drive

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I would like to inform you that if your File History drive has been disconnected for too long, or it doesn't have enough space to save temporary versions of your files. To continue saving copies of your files, you'll need to reconnect your File History drive.
    Plug in your external File History drive or reselect your network. You can start a backup manually or wait for the next scheduled backup or reselect the drive. Here is the steps:

To manually start a backup

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Back up now.

To reselect your drive

• Open File History by pressing Windows key> type File History
      > Click on File History.

• Tap or click Select drive.

• On the Select a File History drive page, tap or click your current drive or network location, and then tap or click
      OK.

Hope it helps. Let us know if you need more help and we'll be glad to assist.

Navneet Anand, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

File History restart

Hi Jim,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

To change the backup drive for File History, the current process should be stopped. I suggest you to try the steps listed below to stop file history on an older drive and restart it on a new drive:

Change File History backup drive:

• Open Settings and navigate to Update & Security > Backup.
    • Click on More Options, scroll down to locate
      Backup to a different drive section, and choose Stop Using Drive.
    • Plug in the new storage drive, navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup,
      and choose Add a Drive.
    • Restart File History and configure it by referring to the article

File History in Windows

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Recommended backup plan, use google drive for file history? - Similar Threads - Recommended backup plan

2. Use File History for backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use File History for backup: Hello everyone, I had some problems with my windows 10 computer. The manufacturer support asked me to reset my computer and to reinstall windows on it. That is what I did but before deleting every bit of data I had on my computer, I did a backup to restore my files after...
  3. I use File history for backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    I use File history for backup: To a drive on my LAN, if my computer crashes how do I get my files back to my new computer? V2004 B19041.685 171493
  4. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: For the first time in a long time, I cannot backup my files. I have Windows 10. I am using Backup using File History. In the Overview, it states 0 bytes on my external hard drive even though this is not true. Total space is 1.81 TB. I have tried "stop using the drive" and...
  5. Backup Using File History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup Using File History: I wanted to clean up my backup hdd and I deleted the folder File History. Now, if I say Backup Now in Backup Using File History, it says last backup …, it goes for 1 second and returns to cancel. How can I get Backup Using File History to work again without reinstalling...
  6. periodic backup to external drive using file history

periodic backup to external drive using file history: If I set up my files to be backed up to an external hard drive using file history, do I have to keep the external drive connected continuously? Or can I hook up external drive periodically?...
  7. Change the backup drive for File History

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change the backup drive for File History: I'd like to change the backup drive for File History. How can I stop File History on the older physical drive and start File History on a new physical drive?...
  8. Backup Using File History

Backup Using File History: I use File History in Win 10 to back up my files to a 500GB WD My Passport portable hard drive. I also use WD SmartWare installed from the WD drive to back up my files. This seems redundant and maybe overkill. Is it safe to rely solely on File History which would allow...
  9. Backup using file history

Backup using file history: I am attempting to backup to my external drive using file history, I have done this many times before with no problem, but now it would appear file history does not see my external drive leaving a Red X after the drive name. Not had any problem before & I am using the same...
  10. Backup using File History

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup using File History: Does File History (Libraries) Backups utilize the time schedule I created for Automatic Backups? 62035