Windows 10: Recommended clean install for this situation

Discus and support Recommended clean install for this situation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; A friend has an AIO that was originally Windows 8, don’t know if it was upgraded to 8.1. The computer was upgraded to Windows 10 during the free... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MeAndMyComputer, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Recommended clean install for this situation

A friend has an AIO that was originally Windows 8, don’t know if it was upgraded to 8.1.
    The computer was upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period but it ran lousy.
    Her “expert” daughter wiped the HDD shortly afterward. Didn’t know what to do after that.
    A few months ago late in 2018, they purchased a Win10 install disc from Ebay.
    It wouldn’t activate: they contacted the seller and whatever that person did, it activated ok from what I’m told.
    Following that the computer still runs lousy on Windows 10.
    Actually, I think even Windows 8/8.1(?) ran lousy for them also.
    Unfortunately, I know my information is pretty sparse but that’s all I’ve got to work on.
    I volunteered to fix their situation a few years ago but the “expert” daughter wanted to be the one who fixes her mother’s computer.

OK her mother brought that up to me last week. I told her I’m willing to help but only if she and her daughter let me help them this time.

I’ve done some clean installs so I familiar with how to do them but I need some advice in this situation.
    They don’t know if they had Windows 10 Home or Pro and if they had 32 or 64-bit.
    Since they originally had Windows 8/8.1(?), I suspect it was 64-bit.
    I want to do a clean install that will recognize whether they have Home or Pro, 32 or 64-bit if possible.
    I’ve been thinking of using Clean Install Windows 10 since I could get the OOBE step and leave it there
    Clean Install Windows 10 | Tutorials
    Then either let them complete the set-up the way they want or let me finish it up with them there in their home together.
    Would that process accommodate what I’m looking to accomplish?

But I have one more question
    Since they are now using whatever product key from their Ebay install disc, will Microsoft recognize the product key that applied upon the free Windows 10 upgrade back in 2015?

:)

MeAndMyComputer, Mar 5, 2019

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 5, 2019
  3. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Mar 5, 2019
  4. Recommended clean install for this situation

Clean install windows 10, keybord dead keys not working

There are different possible reasons as to why this concern is happening. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions below;

• Are you experiencing the same issue after a clean install or is the situation different?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Mar 5, 2019
Thema:

Recommended clean install for this situation

1. Recommended clean install for this situation - Similar Threads - Recommended clean install

2. user10001 situation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    user10001 situation: I tried to free up some space for some games on steam then deleted my whole windows files by accident, which restarted my computer and it wouldn't let me log back into my account, i then watched a yt video and rebooted my laptop, Local option to keep my files and once it was...
  3. the situation in Ukraine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the situation in Ukraine: Hello, my name is Andrey. I live in the city of Mytishchi, Moscow region of the Russian Federation. I am very sorry for the Ukrainians, because Russia attacked their homeland. I am categorically against war. Because of this situation in Ukraine, the American company Microsoft...
  4. the situation in Ukraine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the situation in Ukraine: Hello, my name is Andrey. I live in the city of Mytishchi, Moscow region of the Russian Federation. I am very sorry for the Ukrainians, because Russia attacked their homeland. I am categorically against war. Because of this situation in Ukraine, the American company Microsoft...
  5. An interesting situation....

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    An interesting situation....: So, I've had the Win11 beta. At that time it didn't work well with my purposes, so I went back to WIN10. Now that it's ready, I'm trying to get it back, but the secure boot is giving me trouble. I have it enabled in BIOS, but "System Information" is telling me it's...
  6. An interesting situation....

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    An interesting situation....: So, I've had the Win11 beta. At that time it didn't work well with my purposes, so I went back to WIN10. Now that it's ready, I'm trying to get it back, but the secure boot is giving me trouble. I have it enabled in BIOS, but "System Information" is telling me it's...
  7. Is putting my pc to sleep while windows is installing recommended in this situation?

Is putting my pc to sleep while windows is installing recommended in this situation?: I'm not in anyway English, so try to tolerate the little I can communicate with. Once, while downloading some update on my pc, I was also updating my anti virus. I was prompted to restart the pc after the anti virus updated, which I did, forgetting that I was also updating...
  8. Scared to do a clean install due to situation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scared to do a clean install due to situation: I work at a small business (3 computers) that has no IT and bad computer setup. I have been doing my best as acting IT and been trying to update their system. However, I am quite scared to make the final leap that will help with their setup. Their current main computer is the...
  9. Very interesting clean installation situation for both 7 and 10.

Very interesting clean installation situation for both 7 and 10.: Note: The issue is not caused by Windows downloading every language pack available. For both Windows 7 and 10, the installation will take ~10 hours. The upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Premium OEM will take ~30 hours. I have also purchased a Windows 10 Home USB for a...
  10. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

How to backup and clean install? Specific situation: Hey, guys, so I need your help. I have an ASUS laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 Home(UEFI). I've additionaly installed Ubuntu alongside. After a while, I wanted to uninstall the Ubuntu and install another distribution but I wasn't sure how to do that, and the guides...