Windows 10: Recommended display resolution is wrong

Discus and support Recommended display resolution is wrong in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; When I open Display settings and go to Scale and Layout the recommended resolution is 1024 x 768. I got this problem with my old pc and also with my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by zozograsu, Aug 3, 2021.

1. zozograsu Win User

Recommended display resolution is wrong

When I open Display settings and go to Scale and Layout the recommended resolution is 1024 x 768. I got this problem with my old pc and also with my new one so I don't think its a hardware issue, unless its the monitor, anything I can do to fix this? This issue stops me from playing games in fullscreen 1920x1080, since i can only play stretched.

:)

zozograsu, Aug 3, 2021

2. Resolution is less than recommended message while start up

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. I'll certainly help you with this.

• What is the exact error message you receive when you boot the computer?
    • Did you reboot the device after changing the resolution? If you haven't, please reboot the device for changes to apply.

I suggest you to update the display drivers and check if it helps. To do so, follow the steps provided in the following help article.

How to update drivers

Make sure that the screen resolution is set to at least 1024x768 or above on your Windows 10 device. Follow the below steps to change the screen resolution.

• Right click on the desktop screen.
    • Click on Display settings and select Advanced display settings.
    • Click on Resolution list and select the recommended 1024 X 768
      size or above.
    • Click on Apply to save the setting and check if the issue persist.

Hope this will help you. Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Aug 3, 2021
  3. Help! Windows 10 changed my resolution and can't see anything!!

Hi Etan,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Monitors can support resolutions that are lower than their native resolutions, but text won't look as sharp and the display might be small, centered on the screen, edged with black, or stretched. It is recommended to set the screen resolution of the display
    to the (Recommended) native resolution to get the best display on your monitor. Your screen resolution needs to be at least
    1024x768 to have multiple windows and apps on your screen at the same time.

Kindly follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

I suggest you to set the Display Resolution on your monitor to the recommended level. Follow the below steps

• Open the Start menu and type Settings in the search bar.
    • Click on System and select Display.
    • Make sure that you have set the Change the size of the text, apps and other items to 100%
      recommended.
    • Click on Advanced display settings.
    • Select the monitor and make sure that you have selected Resolution
      to 1920*1080 Recommended.
    If the issue still persists, then follow the below method.

Method 2:

I suggest you to update the display adapter then try to change the screen resolution.

Follow the steps given below to uninstall and reinstall the display drivers.  

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Search for Display Adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the Display Adapters and select Uninstall.
    If the issue still persists, I suggest you to contact the manufacturer to download the latest display adapters.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Aug 3, 2021
  4. Recommended display resolution is wrong

Laptop Screen Resolution Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest you to update the Display Adapter Drivers.

Step 1: Update the Display Adapter driver.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right on the Display Adapter and click on Update driver software.

Refer to: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

Step 2: Kindly follow the below steps to change the resolution of the screen and check:

• Type Change screen resolution in the Search box from the desktop.

• Under Resolution search for the Recommended resolution and click on Apply.

• A windows pops up saying "Keep these display settings", then select Keep changes.

There will be a recommended resolution for all the computers, and if you select more than the recommended resolution the screen would not support for that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to contact us for any further issues on Windows. We will be happy to help you.

Regards.

Armand Cos, Aug 3, 2021
Thema:

Recommended display resolution is wrong

1. Recommended display resolution is wrong - Similar Threads - Recommended display resolution

2. Wrong vertical resolution on maximized windows after display resolution change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong vertical resolution on maximized windows after display resolution change: Hi! I recently bought a new 4k display and my scaling is set to 200%. As previously, my scaling is performed on GPU that's how it was always set in Nvidia Control Panel for best image quality. So each time i launch a full screen game which runs a lower resolution for example...
  3. Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor: Hi community,Couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to windows 11 and now my 2nd monitor resolution decided not to work. I'm using a Dell Latitude 5520 and since it only has one HDMI connector I'm using 2 monitors without the laptop's screen the 2nd monitor is connected with...
  4. Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong resolution recommendation on 2nd monitor: Hi community,Couple of days ago I decided to upgrade to windows 11 and now my 2nd monitor resolution decided not to work. I'm using a Dell Latitude 5520 and since it only has one HDMI connector I'm using 2 monitors without the laptop's screen the 2nd monitor is connected with...
  5. Recommended resolution

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recommended resolution: Hi,I recently finished building my new PC and successfully installed Windows on it. However, the resolution is set to 1366x768. I change it to 1920x1080 but the display is zoomed in to the center slightly. I fix this issue by going into the graphics settings and manually set...
  6. One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution

One of my monitors displays the wrong resolution: I've got a laptop running Windows 10, and use the laptop monitor plus two external monitors, one via HDMI and another via VGA port. This has worked fine for years without any hardware changes. Recently when I come out of sleep, one of the monitors is displaying the wrong...
  7. Wrong Display Resolution

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wrong Display Resolution: TLDR: Windows 10 won't show proper display resolution. 1920x1080 resolution shows up and shows applied, but is not actually applied. Google Search not helping. OG: Windows 10 will not display 1080p resolution and I am at a loss for what to do. I have uninstalled and...
  8. Displaying in Wrong Resolution

Displaying in Wrong Resolution: I have a monitor which displays 1440x900 but when I go into settings to try to change the resolution, it only gives me a few options, non of which are the correct resolution. This results in an incorrect aspect ratio and stretching. I've tried uninstalling the display adapter...
  9. Recommend Display resolution too large for Screen

Recommend Display resolution too large for Screen: Recommend resolution 1920X1080. It's been working fine since I set machine up 7 months ago. Display randomly expanded. I have to reduce resolution to 1600X1200 to fit on monitor. Updated Windows, updated graphic card drivers, ran all OEM updates, read and tried every...
  10. Windows 10 Resolution display is wrong

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Resolution display is wrong: hi. Last night when i went to shut my computer down, it gave me the option to shut down and update, so i did that. Today, i turn my computer on and now its all zoomed in. I go to the resolution display, it says its at 640 x 480 and it wont let me change it, the box is greyed...