Windows 10: Recommended way to "dabble" in Linux (SSD native, USB, or WSL)?

Discus and support Recommended way to "dabble" in Linux (SSD native, USB, or WSL)? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Recently I'd been wanting to familiarize myself with Linux again (long time ago I used to run a Sparc Workstation, then later on played with various... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cytherian, Apr 2, 2021.

1. cytherian Win User

Recommended way to "dabble" in Linux (SSD native, USB, or WSL)?

Recently I'd been wanting to familiarize myself with Linux again (long time ago I used to run a Sparc Workstation, then later on played with various flavors of Linux), but not quite sure about the best way to go about it.

AFAIK there are 3 main ways to get into doing this:
    • Create an additional SSD partition and install Linux
    • Create a bootable removable media (e.g. USB drive, external SSD)
    • Utilize WSL
    I had gone ahead and made a bootable USB (16GB) for Linux Mint. Initially I couldn't access it, then realized it was due to UEFI as primary boot mode--changing to Legacy fixed that. It's very easy to do this on my HP laptop--just start up with the USB drive installed, press F9, and then select the boot option. In Linux Mint, I see the Windows "device" and can browse it. This makes me a bit nervous... as in the past I once ran into trouble with a Windows partition no longer bootable, despite no user actions to disturb files while running a Linux instance (had painful gyrations to fix MBR, etc.).

The last one, WSL intrigues me. I hadn't been aware of WIndows 10 now offering this. On my primary system, I'm running Windows 10 20H2, with 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. Would running the WSL be the easiest, simplest, safest way to get into using Linux again? Is it essentially like a VM? Or is it quite limited and not able to convey the full Linux OS experience?

:)

cytherian, Apr 2, 2021
  2. John Zab Win User

How to Access USB Drives via WSL

Hi Gagan,

To better assist you regarding with USB drive issue, we just want to confirm if you're referring to Windows Subsystem for Linux?

If you do, we suggest that you check this
    article
    for more information.

Keep us posted.

John Zab, Apr 2, 2021
  3. What about natively supporting Android apps through WSL's concept?

Greetings,

The whole Windows Subsystem for Linux is a VERY nice feature; Google is still keeping up their chrome os project with the "you can run android apps" thing as main selling point, although third party applications like Nox and Bluestacks already let you do
    that on windows through emulation.

My point is, Android is built on Linux kernel, and WSL ties linux with windows; wouldn't it be a good, already working base to start working on a native support for android apps on windows?

Why hasn't this been done? It would even benefit devices like thesurface pro, other than making android apps testing on desktop more direct (the same way you can set visual studio to target wsl as linux support for testing purposes)

SephirothBahamut, Apr 2, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Using Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) in an Enterprise

Source: Using WSL in an Enterprise Windows Command Line Tools For Developers

Brink, Apr 2, 2021
Thema:

1. Recommended way to "dabble" in Linux (SSD native, USB, or WSL)? - Similar Threads - Recommended dabble Linux

2. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found: Guys help, I've contacted ms support multiple times and none of the agents have been able to solve the issue.so, I have Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL with Ubuntu installed. yesterday, i tried to install docker, and it was kind of a mess, so i just uninstalled it in every...
  3. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found: Guys help, I've contacted ms support multiple times and none of the agents have been able to solve the issue.so, I have Windows Subsystem for Linux WSL with Ubuntu installed. yesterday, i tried to install docker, and it was kind of a mess, so i just uninstalled it in every...
  4. WSL Windows Subsystem For Linux "wsl" command not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What is recommended and is there a way to transfer Oracle VirtualBox? USB, external SSD,...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What is recommended and is there a way to transfer Oracle VirtualBox? USB, external SSD,...: Okay so my PC recently had several issues for nearly 2 YEARS!!! it started with BSOD "TDR failure died", where I needed a fresh windows install. It worked. However this was a gaming pc, the case was called Azza Pyramid. It had several issues from not powering on, to sometimes...
  6. What is recommended and is there a way to transfer Oracle VirtualBox? USB, external SSD,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is recommended and is there a way to transfer Oracle VirtualBox? USB, external SSD,...: Okay so my PC recently had several issues for nearly 2 YEARS!!! it started with BSOD "TDR failure died", where I needed a fresh windows install. It worked. However this was a gaming pc, the case was called Azza Pyramid. It had several issues from not powering on, to sometimes...
  7. What is recommended and is there a way to transfer Oracle VirtualBox? USB, external SSD,...

8. WSL Linux for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    WSL Linux for Windows 10: Hi, Just curious if anyone here has tried or uses the WSL Virtualization for Linux for Windows10? I am curious to see how Ubuntu 20.04 LTS will look in Windows10. I'm just curious... 181521
  9. A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A way to install W10 on a external SSD with Linux on internal SSD?: Is there a way that wouldn t screw up dual boot? How about the drivers? i have USBC interface on both the laptop and ext SSD. And I want to install W10 on the SSD while having Fedora on the internal SSD. 180379
  10. WSL and Linux apps

WSL and Linux apps: Hey there Linux enthusiasts! I wonder what you think about this Windows Subsystem for Linux and which apps you installed. I installed openSUSE from Microsoft store (sounds weird right? *Biggrin) just to check the feature out. So far I can only play around with Linux commands...