Windows 10: Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10

Discus and support Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If the laptop is not running 7 or 8 a clean install is the only way. There is no upgrade to XP or Vista permitted. If it is running 7 or 8 then it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015.

1. ArchiMark Win User

Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10

OK, understand what you're saying.....thank you for clarifying this....

So, given the constraints you've outlined, it seems my question is not that applicable like it would have been in the past when looking to go to a new version of Windows.....

Interesting.....

Thanks.

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015

2. If your copy of Windows 10 is retail then go ahead and clean install. There are no upgrade licenses for Windows 10 like previous versions. With a retail Windows 10 you can use any method to install right from the beginning.

Cbarnhorst, Nov 9, 2015
  3. ArchiMark Win User
    Thanks again for your help....

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

If you don't have too much data and applications, do the clean install. If it is version 32-bit, then proceed. If it is 64-bit version, please post your specs to verify that this version can be installed on that notebook. You may have to replace it with the 32-bit version.

If you have too many applications, then the upgrade route is to upgrade Vista to 7 (assuming they are both 32-bit or 64-bit and that you Vista version can be upgraded with your 7 version). Then activate Windows 7, and finally use the Windows 10 disc to upgrade to Windows 10 (again must be 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit and compatible versions).

The allowed upgrade paths are always the same bit (32 or 64), same language (cannot mix English US with Greek for example), and same or higher version. The last means that Vista Starter, can be upgraded to any Windows 7 version, Vista Home Basic to Windows 7 Home basic or higher, Vista Home Premium to 7 Home premium or higher, etc. If you have Vista Ultimate, you can only upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate. Then you can upgrade from Windows 7 Starter up to Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home only. You can upgrade from Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro only.

Yes, I know, it will take the whole day to go from Vista to Windows 7 and finally Windows 10, but I would prefer it if I had too many applications that I would need 2-3 days to install over a clean-install.

I hope that helps.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  5. ArchiMark Win User
    Thank you for all your input, spapakons.......

Understand your points...

As I just did the Recovery yesterday, I don't have any data or apps installed other than those installed by the Recovery disk. So, fortunately, that's not an issue now.

Will do a clean install of Win10.

Partly because it's the easiest way to get up to Win 10 and partly because it appears there is no real benefit in my case of going the slow way of upgrading from one version to the next version.

Thanks.

ArchiMark, Nov 9, 2015
  6. To go back to your original post, you only have 1 GB of memory. You cannot run Windows 10 on it. A six-year-old laptop can always be upgraded with more memory. Work on that before you do anything else.

Cbarnhorst, Nov 9, 2015
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Why not?

Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft

RAM:
    1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

NavyLCDR, Nov 9, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

I have successfully installed Windows 10 32-bit on an old Vista era laptop with only 512MB, yes 521MB, RAM. OK I admit this is slow, but if I borrow another RAM module from my other test laptop and increase the total RAM to 1GB it is much more responsive and useful. Of course I don't expect to have 2-3 applications open at the same time, it will slow down. But with one application at a time and little patience you can use it without any problem for office work, surfing the web or light gaming (Popcap's Diamonds Deluxe, Zuma Deluxe and other similar casual games).

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  9. If your recovery disk is for 32bits and you have a license for Windows 10 Home you can try it but performance will be iffy. If you don't have a Windows 10 Home licence you can buy one for $120 US. What is the recovery disk, 32bit or 64bit? Where did you get the Windows 10 Home license?

Cbarnhorst, Nov 9, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Vista has a reputation of being too slow and killing old machines. How slower can it be with Windows 10? I would bet it can even been a little faster as Windows 10 are lighter than Vista and have better memory management.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  11. ArchiMark Win User
    Ummm.......I installed Win 10 on it this afternoon.....

Installed fine and works OK......

*Smile

Exactly......

*Cool

ArchiMark, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Recommended Win 10 Install Path - Vista Installed - Want to Go To 10 - Similar Threads - Recommended Install Path

2. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  3. want to update Win vista to win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    want to update Win vista to win 10?: Windows Vista wont let me update to Win 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/want-to-update-win-vista-to-win-10/3f67f9a2-26c8-434f-86aa-174e5beab79e
  4. Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.: I have one last PC still running Windows 10. Its system board does not support TPM, it can't go to Win 11. I am retired with a limited budget. As Win 10 support only last for the next three years, the OS that runs this last PC will be some distro of Linux before that date...
  5. Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.: I have one last PC still running Windows 10. Its system board does not support TPM, it can't go to Win 11. I am retired with a limited budget. As Win 10 support only last for the next three years, the OS that runs this last PC will be some distro of Linux before that date...
  6. Is this migration path sane and the best way to go? Win 10 install to Win 10 Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Win 10 install won’t go through BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 install won’t go through BSOD: I got a BSOD last night after a fresh install of Win 10 about a week ago. Now i cant see my HD. I have 2 ssds but nothing is letting the install go through. Im getting multiple errorsk mode not handled. Ive removed each set of ram to see if that was the problem. Not it....
  8. Can't install windows 10 Home on Vista

Can't install windows 10 Home on Vista: Hi. I bought new version of windows 10 home from Microsoft. It arrived as a usb stick. It will not install. It states that it can't install on current operating system.Vista. It says it can be booted from installation media. I do not know how to do this. I will admit to not...
  9. Win 10 Will Not Install

Win 10 Will Not Install: Hello to all. When I try to install Windows Ten over 8.1 on my Dell Xps 8500 it gets stuck at the welcome back screen. After I go back to 8.1 I get a small box that shows. 0XC1900101-0x40019 This installation failed in the Second_Boot phase with an error during OOBE...
  10. Win Vista to Windoze 10

Win Vista to Windoze 10: Is it possible, do I need to buy something, or maybe Bat.1 will give me cr-----k/key?*Sleepy*Sleepy 105707