Windows 10: Reconnect network drives fails if I disable "Users must enter a username and password to...

Discus and support Reconnect network drives fails if I disable "Users must enter a username and password to... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just installed Windows 10 Home 1909 on an Intel NUC. I have another Win 10 tower PC that maps all my NAS network drives just fine, with user log-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ac16161, Mar 13, 2020.

1. ac16161 Win User

Reconnect network drives fails if I disable "Users must enter a username and password to...

I just installed Windows 10 Home 1909 on an Intel NUC. I have another Win 10 tower PC that maps all my NAS network drives just fine, with user log-in to the PC disabled. On the NUC and via the same network switch to the NAS, Windows reconnect to the network drives is broken upon a re-start if I open netplwiz and disable "uers must enter a username and password to use this computer". So two Windows 10 PC's on the same build, on the same network switch to the same NAS, with the same settings, but one of them requires a log-in step for drive re-connect mapping to work.

I know there is a massive history of Windows being flaky with network drive reconnection, but surely in 2020, Microsoft could just fix this?

:)

ac16161, Mar 13, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Setting up a home network.

You are always going to have to deal with entering usernames and passwords unless all the machines are using the same usernames and passwords, or you create all the users on the server.

You can set up a batch file that will map the drives for you, and enter the username and password for you.

The net use syntax for mapping a shared drive:

net use {drive letter:} \\{machine name}\{share name} {password} /user:{domain\user name}

newtekie1, Mar 13, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Can't disable login password Win 10

Hello,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• How many user accounts have you set up on the computer?
    You might face this issue if you have entered a wrong password or selected a different user account while unchecking the option
    "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer". I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

• Press Windows key + R on the keyboard.
    • Type “control userpasswords2” without quotes and press
      Enter
    • Click on the User account to which you login.
    • Uncheck the option "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer". If it is already unchecked, then place a check mark and then uncheck it.
    • You will be requested to enter the Username and Password. Fill in the details correctly. Type in the
      Username, Password and Confirm Password manually.
    • Click on OK and then again OK.
    • Restart the computer and check if the issue persists.
    Let us know the results and if you need further assistance and we’ll be happy to help.

Arul_D, Mar 13, 2020
  4. Reconnect network drives fails if I disable "Users must enter a username and password to...

The case of standard users & "Failed to reconnect networks drives" on startup

I've tried on Windows 7 and Windows 10 NON-DOMAIN computers, but I'm missing something obvious when it comes to mapping network drives for standard (non-admin) users.

I've tried various steps of loading up a cmd prompt as admin/user, then opening up a command prompt as the user/admin, mapping the drive in question via explorer or in the command prompt window, setting it to be persistent, re-doing the mapped drive as the
    standard user in command prompt/explorer, but come rebooting the computer, and logging back in as the standard user, the network drive won't reconnect until I re-enter the credentials. If the user account is an administrator, the mapped drives will always
    reconnect.

As a workaround, I thought I'd use group policy but alas there's no mapped drive option and I can't recall who to do start-up scripts.

What am I doing wrong? Clearly I am being stupid here somewhere.

[Moved from: Windows / Windows
    / Files, folders, & storage / PC
    ]

StephenCWLL, Mar 13, 2020
Thema:

Reconnect network drives fails if I disable "Users must enter a username and password to...

1. Reconnect network drives fails if I disable "Users must enter a username and password to... - Similar Threads - Reconnect network drives

2. Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...: Hello.Following all the examples online: Went to Registry Entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\DeviceSet: DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion REG_DWORD value, change the value data from 2 to 0Rebooted the PCI still do not have the...
  3. Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option in User Accounts...: Hello.Following all the examples online: Went to Registry Entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\DeviceSet: DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion REG_DWORD value, change the value data from 2 to 0Rebooted the PCI still do not have the...
  4. in my user profile - no dialog tab " users must enter user name and password"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    in my user profile - no dialog tab " users must enter user name and password": I cant remove the administrator password requirement. I have tried "netplwiz" and get the proper screen but there is NO option to uncheck "require PW". Get message that on my Windows 10 to go to control panel but no option there...
  5. in my user profile - no dialog tab " users must enter user name and password"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    in my user profile - no dialog tab " users must enter user name and password": I cant remove the administrator password requirement. I have tried "netplwiz" and get the proper screen but there is NO option to uncheck "require PW". Get message that on my Windows 10 to go to control panel but no option there...
  6. Map network drive error "The user's password must be changed before logging in for the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Map network drive error "The user's password must be changed before logging in for the...: Hello. I have a NAS at home running Linux. The server name is Debian, and the folder is media. There is a Samba share on that NAS that I'm trying to map in Windows 11 Home.It was working at one point, but then the IP address changed. When I attempt to map the network drive as...
  7. Users must enter a username and password to use this computer missing in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Users must enter a username and password to use this computer missing in Windows 10: [ATTACH]When we open the User Accounts window by typing netplwiz.exe or control userpasswords2 using […] This article Users must enter a username and password to use this computer missing in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. Windows 10 netplwiz 'Users must enter a username and password Missing

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 netplwiz 'Users must enter a username and password Missing: I Had this problem with netplwiz 'Users must enter a username and password to use this computer' checkbox missing But according to my research, this is an issue for some users only with Build 2004.....thought it was due to a corrupt user profile......so did the suggested...
  9. Can't disable the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" on...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't disable the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" on...: My computers are in a very secure location that only I have access to. I want to disable the requirement for users to enter a user name and password. When I run netplwiz on my main PC I've always disabled the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"...
  10. Network username and password for shared folder/drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network username and password for shared folder/drive: Hi, My OPPO Blu-ray player is connected to the same network as my computer. The player picks up the computer drives and displays the relevant folders Photo, Music and Video. But when I try to open any of the folders on my player, it prompts me for theusername and password. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. netplwiz no option to uncheck