Windows 10: Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording

Discus and support Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I'm using my monitor as a playback device via NVidia HD Audio (HDMI) the recorded sound is much quieter than what I'm hearing during recording. If... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LastofAvari, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording

When I'm using my monitor as a playback device via NVidia HD Audio (HDMI) the recorded sound is much quieter than what I'm hearing during recording. If I switch playback to Realtek HD Audio (motherboard's 3.5 mm plugs) recorded volume is just fine. On Windows 7 I had no such problem, but after upgrading to Windows 10 due to hardware upgrade (I moved to Intel 8th gen platform) I have to add 10-12 dB to make the PC audio loud enough.

Here on a screen shot the first track is HDMI and the second is Realtek. The same music sample is being played at the same volume settings of a player software (100%) and Windows mixer (30%).

Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording 46dd8dfb-8526-4c87-9016-261c9bf31bbc?upload=true.png

Note: I'm NOT recording sound from microphone, I'm recording desktop (computer) sound.

:)

LastofAvari, Oct 27, 2018

2. Sound Recorder isn't Working!

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To guide you In right direction we want to know:

-Are you using voice recorder or any other app to do so?

I would suggest you to try these methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Please run Recording Run Troubleshooter.

You may try to run the in-built Windows Recording Audio troubleshooter and check. Follow the steps:

• Press Windows Key + X..
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • On the left pane, click on View All.
    • Click on Windows Recording Audio to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to use the sound recorder and check if you are able to record the sound.

• In the Windows Start screen, type “sound recorder”, then select Sound Recorder from the search results.
    • Try recording your voice through your microphone, then play it back. To do so, simply tap or click Start Recording, speak to the microphone, and then save the file so you can play the recording.

This will helps us to find out if the issue is with any online messenger like Skype or Windows.

I also suggest you to install the latest driver for Mic from the manufacturer’s website.

I also request you to refer the following link:

Sound Recorder app for Windows: FAQ

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/sound-recorder-app-faq

I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Oct 27, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Sound recorder

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

You may follow the steps to find Sound recorder

• Type voice recorder in search box
    • You will find the voice recorder
    • If it is not there you can go to windows store and download
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Arun B J, Oct 27, 2018
  4. Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording

Sound Recorder not recording sound from Internet after 10 upgrade

Well, this is bizarre. Normally, in Windows, you would go to Control Panel > Sound > Recording tab, and then select your sound card / chipset as the default recording device. Then, any application you use to record with would record sounds that are playing on your computer. However, I just checked in Windows 10 and there is no option to select your sound card, only mic and line-in inputs. In Goldwave (a program I've used for years, and the one I would normally use to record sounds playing on my PC), there is an option to select a recording device (which accomplishes the same thing as doing it through Control Panel > Sounds), and I just checked that, and there are no devices to select. Another method of selecting the recording device used to be via the volume mixer, where you could place a checkmark in a box to select the device you wanted to record with; "stereo mix" or "mono mix" is what would select your sound card. I see that the volume mixer in Windows 10 has been dumbed down, i.e., it has no options at all other than adjusting volume.

Did Windows 10 eliminate the option to record from your sound card? Can some other people who are running Windows 10 check in Control Panel > Sound > Recording tab to see if their sound card / chipset is listed as an option? It may be the case that my sound chipset on this motherboard doesn't support direct recording, though I've never seen one that didn't. This motherboard is new, and I only had a previous version of Windows (Windows 7) on it long enough to upgrade to Windows 10, so I don't know if the option was there in Windows 7 on this hardware or not.

MaximRecoil, Oct 27, 2018
Thema:

Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording

1. Recorded sound volume is much lower than what I can hear during recording - Similar Threads - Recorded sound volume

2. Windows sound recorder does not record well

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows sound recorder does not record well: I use it to record my music homework. So when I record a song with accompanying background music the sound records in "waves"- one word is clear and the next seems to recede back and the next still more so and then the fourth is ok. I have windows 11. Please help....
  3. Microphone recorded volume becomes noticeably and irreversibly lower while microphone...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone recorded volume becomes noticeably and irreversibly lower while microphone...: The laptop in question here is the Dell Inspiron 13 5310. I frequently use the laptop's embedded Microphone Array located on the left and right side of the webcam for web meetings, and they're not functioning well for months. The microphone's recording volume gets lowered...
  4. Why can I record video on Win10, but can't hear the audio portion of what I've recorded?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Why can I record video on Win10, but can't hear the audio portion of what I've recorded?: I used to use screen capture apps like VideoPad and Loom on my PC with Windows 10 Pro frequently. But now, I can record and play back the video, but not the audio. This is mysterious because I can record audio (I use Audacity )and play it back and also listen to audio and...
  5. How do I record the sound I am hearing on my computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I record the sound I am hearing on my computer: I'm still looking for "sound recorder" and don't see where to go next. I want to record the sound that is playing on my computer speakers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-record-the-sound-i-am-hearing-on-my/571f2b30-da37-4ae8-942a-1110511c1358
  6. sound recorder

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound recorder: hello, I am facing a problem regarding my sound recorder. The recorded sound are played without volume. May I plz find the solution for my problem. Thank you with regards manjar...
  7. Recording "What U Hear" not working.

Recording "What U Hear" not working.: I am unable to record any audio to my PC. I have tried multiple programs that record from the sound card. What U hear option is listed in settings, but not working. I have tried everything I know adjusting settings uninstalling the sound card driver and software, cleaning...
  8. Bluetooth Speaker at Full Volume; Sounds Like It's Much Lower

Bluetooth Speaker at Full Volume; Sounds Like It's Much Lower: I have a Bluetooth speaker that suddenly won't output at full volume. The PC and soundbar both show they are at full volume but the sound from the soundbar is very low. I have tried unplugging it, unsyncing it and nothing fixes it....
  9. Audacity and recording "What U Hear"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audacity and recording "What U Hear": When previously on WIN 7 Pro 64 bit I was able to record with Audacity what ever was coming out the speakers using the "What U Hear" feature of my sound card (Creative PCIe X-Fi Titanium). Having upgraded and subsequently a clean install of WIN 10 Pro 64 bit this no...
  10. Windows 10 has a much lower volume than 7/8

Windows 10 has a much lower volume than 7/8: Hi everyone. My max (100) volume on Windows 10 is about 40% of what it used to be on previous windows. I can barely hear anything on YouTube. I found about 5-6 topics on google discussing this, but none of the solutions worked. I've tried reinstalling the driver, tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recording of sound lower than anyone can hear