Windows 10: Recover a License from an upgraded machine

Discus and support Recover a License from an upgraded machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The company I used to work for had at one time purchased a Windows 10 Home computer. I then upgraded it to a Windows 10 Pro (I paid for it, not the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Ashley M. Kirchner, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Recover a License from an upgraded machine

The company I used to work for had at one time purchased a Windows 10 Home computer. I then upgraded it to a Windows 10 Pro (I paid for it, not the company, and it's in my Microsoft Account.) I have since left the company and no longer have access to that computer. However, I would like to recover my license. Is there a way to do that?

I don't care that the computer in question suddenly starts displaying messages that it's no longer registered, that's no longer my problem. But I do want my license that I paid for, so I can use it on another computer that I have recently purchased.

So, without access to the previous computer, how can I recover that license? Looking in my account, I don't see any way of deactivating it, or anything that would indicate some sort of recovery/reclaim.... Is there a way to do this?

:)

Ashley M. Kirchner, Dec 2, 2018
  2. Robert_os Win User

Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Dec 2, 2018
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows XP Home Licence...

Yep, and I'll give s simple summary for anyone that is still confused.

Retail License:

• Supported by Microsoft
    • Can only be running on 1 machine per license
    • Can be transferred from one machine to another as long as it is removed from the old machine first
    OEM License:

• Supported by the whoever installs it
    • Bound to the motherboard it is originally installed on
    • The motherboard can only be changed in the event of a motherboard failure, and then the replacement motherboard must be the same model or an equivalent model
    Upgrade License:

• Support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from
    • Can be transferred from one PC to another as long as it is uninstalled from the previous computer first
    • When transferred support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from on the new machine

newtekie1, Dec 2, 2018
  4. Recover a License from an upgraded machine

Licensing a re-built machine

• If you upgraded from a retail copy of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1, the Windows 10 license carries the retail rights from which it was derived.

• If you upgraded from an OEM Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 license, these are licenses that come preinstalled on a new computer such as Dell, HP or Lenovo, then your Windows 10 license maintains the OEM rights.

Andre Da Costa, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

Recover a License from an upgraded machine

1. Recover a License from an upgraded machine - Similar Threads - Recover License upgraded

2. does using upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Physical Computer its upgrade license is...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    does using upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Physical Computer its upgrade license is...: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  3. does using upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Physical Computer its upgrade license is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does using upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Physical Computer its upgrade license is...: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  4. does using upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Physical Computer its upgrade license is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine: My US English Windows 10 Pro laptop has failed here in Brasil. I purchased a new Acer notebook but it has a single language windows 10 Home in Portuguese. Can I restore my English Win 10 Pro to my new notebook?...
  6. Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine: My US English Windows 10 Pro laptop has failed here in Brasil. I purchased a new Acer notebook but it has a single language windows 10 Home in Portuguese. Can I restore my English Win 10 Pro to my new notebook?...
  7. Upgrade Win version with license from dead machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Migrate Windows Pro upgrade from home License to new machine

Migrate Windows Pro upgrade from home License to new machine: I bought a Surface Pro 7 i5 and paid the $99 to upgrade to Windows Pro. After a few weeks I decided I wanted to return it and get the i7 instead. I can't figure out how to migrate the Windows Pro upgrade to the new machine though. Do I really need to pay $99 again?...
  9. Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise?

Is it possible to recover the OEM license key from a machine that is now running Enterprise?: I have a surface 7 that came with the OEM version of Windows 10. I have been using it for work, and it currently has a licensed copy of Windows 10 Enterprise version. I plan to switch back to personal use now, and want to remove the Enterprise license and use the Home edition...
  10. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine: I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows 10 Education on a physical machine that I built - is there any way of transferring it to a virtual machine running on a...