Windows 10: Recover Deleted Files

Discus and support Recover Deleted Files in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Are there any good recovery tools out there that can recover recently deleted files? This isn't an emergency, but I have lost several files in the last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Xilnik, May 11, 2017.

1. Xilnik Win User

Recover Deleted Files

Are there any good recovery tools out there that can recover recently deleted files? This isn't an emergency, but I have lost several files in the last six months on separate occasions, and my recovery tools failed to bring them back even though I did everything recommended to prevent loss of data. These files are generally on separate drives from Windows, so Macrium Reflect is not really a solution, nor would I want the paid version to back up the files since that would result in massive disk space usage.

When I have lost files, I have immediately shut down all handles to the drive(s) that the files were lost from. I have then used the following software to try to recover my files:
    • Recuva - Fails for recently deleted files but finds files from months ago?
    • EaseUS Data Recovery - Same as Recuva
    • StompSoft Recover Lost Data - Very old program that often finds the files but restores corrupted versions of the files
    • iCare Format Recovery - Fairly old software that has the same issue as Recover Lost Data

By the way, I have a bad habit of always using Shift + Delete to delete files, which is why I sometimes lose files when I'm tired or stressed and not paying close enough attention. I do have my most important work related files on a backup routine to prevent that from happening, but personal media files take up too much space for that to be feasible.

:)

Xilnik, May 11, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Recover deleted files that I accidentally deleted.

Hi Jane,

The first thing to check is, are the files in your Recycle Bin

If not, you will need a third party utility like the Free version of Recuiva to see if your files are recoverable . . .

Download Recuva | Recover deleted files, free!

DaveM121, May 11, 2017
  3. Jane_959 Win User
    Recover deleted files that I accidentally deleted.

Thank you to all those who responded and this has answered my question.

Jane_959, May 11, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Recover Deleted Files

- if the drives are internal to your PC, you could certainly use MR to image them- I do.
    - or do you mean they are on USB disks?

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  5. Xilnik Win User
    Some are on networked drives, and some are internal. I'd rather not image them in either case since it would be 0.8 TB worth of data to image right now.

Xilnik, May 12, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I believe Active@ File Recovery Active@ File Recovery searches for lost RAIDs is one of the better ones - I remember using a partition recovery boot disk of theirs some years ago.

You'll be familiar with the quick scan and deeper scan these programs offer.

I think what would worry me is that you don't seem to have a backup of some of your data.
    I put my images on a 2Tb hard drive, allowing for a base image and a number of differentials, giving plenty of space. You can see my disks from my specs.

As you know, base images are smaller than the data imaged, so images taking up, say, 0.5Tb, are quite manageable.

And once imaged, a differential image is relatively quick.

dalchina, May 12, 2017
  7. Xilnik Win User
    That is true if the data is compressible. Video files, which make up 99% of the data I am interested in protecting, are often not compressible. In fact, doing a test yesterday on a set of 23 GB worth of video files (files that would fit on a Blu-ray - R disc) resulted in an image that was 23.1 GB. The compression scheme added data by trying to compress the videos that could not be compressed.

Xilnik, May 12, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Recover Deleted Files

Well, you have more chance of recovering small files rather than large files - the moment you delete a large file it gives OS lots of room to write temporary files, new files etc. and impact could be seconds after deletion.

You risk losing all your data - it is not a case of IF a drive will fail but WHEN it will fail. All drives fail sooner or later.

So if you do not backup your data, you risk losing everything.

cereberus, May 12, 2017
  9. Xilnik Win User
    My data is on several SSDs, so the when for failure is more predictable.

Xilnik, May 12, 2017
  10. Xilnik Win User
    File recovery does not seem to work too well on larger files, as already mentioned by cereberus. Or maybe it's that these are MP4 formatted? As I recall, AVI files were more robust and recoverable/repairable. At any rate, I'll just have to change my practices a little to prevent myself from accidentally permanently deleting files. I've already changed some of my habits this weekend to prevent loss of backup data should ransomware somehow find its way onto one of my systems.

As far as Active@ File Recovery searches for lost RAIDs goes, the paid recovery tools might work, but I'm not willing to pay for them without a money back guarantee if they fail. The demo/trial versions do not offer functionality to show that the MP4 files would be successfully recovered.

Xilnik, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Recover Deleted Files

1. Recover Deleted Files - Similar Threads - Recover Deleted Files

2. Recover deleted files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover deleted files: Hello! I have a PC with Windows 10 and an IPhone. I installed iCloud/ iPhotos on my PC in order to upload photos from the PC to iPhotos. Yesterday PC stopped synchronizing to the iCloud and I read online that maybe my iCloud account got stuck and I should sign out of it and...
  3. Recover deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover deleted files: Is it possible to recover permanently deleted files from one drive after the 30 day recovery period? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-deleted-files/de964b84-1d13-4a40-ae8f-d31ecdca53c8
  4. Recover deleted files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover deleted files: Good Day All, I trust that you are well. I recently deleted files from the a user's CSC cache folder with a registry key of format database, I am looking for a free tool that can recover the deleted files as the one I was using recovermyfiles however I can't restore the...
  5. recover deleted file

recover deleted file: How do I recover an accidentally deleted file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-deleted-file/7efd2f58-f540-49c7-b03a-3a3cdfe466a1
  6. recover deleted files

recover deleted files: Few days ago, I was trying to clean my PC which has Win10x64 installed, I accidentally selected to delete my downloads folder data while deleting temporary files. Is there any way to recover my only downloads folder data and files?...
  7. Recover deleted file

Recover deleted file: How do I recover a deleted excel file saved to an external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-deleted-file/1eabe586-1f95-4b5e-907f-c68e5b2abb13"
  8. recover deleted files

recover deleted files: how to recover deleted files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-deleted-files/42eb1afa-2c3b-4326-b38e-1f0329a8407a"
  9. Recovering Deleted Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering Deleted Files: Hi everyone, please take time and pay attention reading so we don't go around in circles while anyone tries to help me, thanks in advance. Two Days ago two folders with photoshop .psd files and /png files disappeared along with some program shortcuts. At some point i...
  10. recover deleted files

in Windows 10 Support
    recover deleted files: Hello, I realise this problem would be similar regardless of which Windows being used. I partitioned my HD and moved documents to new partition. Mistakenly removed the partition without restoring files. Is there any way of recovering the lost files? Thank You 21072