Windows 10: Recover EFS key

Discus and support Recover EFS key in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, I recently forgot to backup the EFS key from Win 1709 and upgraded my system parts and installed Win 20H2. Now I cannot open my encrypted files,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Xtreme512, May 4, 2021.

1. Xtreme512 Win User

Recover EFS key

Hi, I recently forgot to backup the EFS key from Win 1709 and upgraded my system parts and installed Win 20H2. Now I cannot open my encrypted files, they are not essential but would be pleased to try and retrieve them. Luckily, 1) I have those files on my D:/ backup drive, which is not altered. 2) I installed new system on a new disk, cpu, mobo. Which is, I have the old OS disk and system unaltered. So can I export the key without booting old disk? Or do I have to build the old system again, boot and get it (which I will eventually for my brother but will take time)?

:)

Xtreme512, May 4, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User
    Try3, May 5, 2021
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    Recover EFS key

For clarity what is an EFS key? Are you talking about BitLocker?

sygnus21, May 5, 2021
  4. Xtreme512 Win User

Recover EFS key

Recover EFS key

No not the bitlocker. I simply encrypted some files in properties -> secure the file, that is with using Encryption File System of Windows. And forgot to export the key for backup purposes.

Even though I have the old /users folder ready and the whole disk? Cant it be done without booting?

Xtreme512, May 5, 2021
Thema:

Recover EFS key

1. Recover EFS key - Similar Threads - Recover EFS key

2. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  3. Recovering EFS encrypted files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering EFS encrypted files?: My Windows Laptop recently was damaged and I've had to replace it with a new similar machine. I am trying to recover some files from the original broken machine which are unfortunately not recently backed-up. Since the SSD C: drive from the old machine is undamaged and fully...
  4. Recover EFS encrypted data after crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover EFS encrypted data after crash: Hi everyone ,i have a very common problem that have already been signaled in here but situation is a bit different. I had to reinstall my win 10 after a big crash of my OS. There were some encrypted files on it very important ones . I've not made anything special prior to the...
  5. Recover EFS encrypted data after crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover EFS encrypted data after crash: Hi everyone ,i have a very common problem that have already been signaled in here but situation is a bit different. I had to reinstall my win 10 after a big crash of my OS. There were some encrypted files on it very important ones . I've not made anything special prior to the...
  6. EFS

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    EFS: I rebuilt a new PC and transfered my SSD which had my OS from my old system and put it in my new PC. I had another HDD which held all my data and it was encrypted. However, I dycrypted it ,well at least I thought I had and then put it in my new PC. I went to access my...
  7. recover key

in Windows 10 Customization
    recover key: How do o get my recovery key? Im in bitlocker because i hit tge wring key in restorring my laptop. I purchased my laptop on ebay https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recover-key/1d4ebd4b-bac4-4f84-9853-397ce90cad65
  8. How find Private key of EFS?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How find Private key of EFS?: When I encrypted my file, System don't ask any private key for it. But now I can't found my private key for decrypt encrypt file. Export of EFS Certificate, when show it-- [ATTACH] So now how export private key?...
  9. Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?

Possible to recover EFS Key from formatted Windows installation?: I know this is a long shot but... I had to reinstall Windows on my SSD. Then discovered I have work on another disk encrypted using Window's normal EFS. Since it might be possible to recover some files from the old Windows installation, is there any way I could somehow...
  10. Backup the EFS encryption key file

Backup the EFS encryption key file: Yesterday I installed OneDrive app and linked it to my office 365 enterprise University account. Since then, every time I turn on my pc, I receive a warning about backup of the encryption key from EFS application. But I have never used bitlocker. I did some search online and...