Windows 10: recover encrypted data

Discus and support recover encrypted data in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello! I hope you can help me with the following situation: I encrypted a few files on an external hard disk, using an older laptop. That laptop does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dudescuman, Jan 6, 2020.

1. recover encrypted data

Hello!
    I hope you can help me with the following situation:
    I encrypted a few files on an external hard disk, using an older laptop.
    That laptop does not boot anymore and cannot decrypt those files.
    From what I understood, those files can only be decrypted from that windows.
    I can access data from the hdd through an external rack.
    Is it possible to access the credentials and copy them to another computer or maybe to the same old laptop but with another windows?
    If I give windows repair, will my credentials be affected?

windows 10

:)

dudescuman, Jan 6, 2020

2. how to recover data from bitlocker encrypted drive without the key?

I don't believe there is a way of doing this, that's the point of encryption to prevent this sort of activity. If you have no way of getting the key I would suggest restore from backups.

MarkInKent, Jan 6, 2020
  3. Bo$$ Win User
    Can data be recovered from a Formatted SD Flash Card?

read, he has lost his flash card with sensitive info on it

Bo$$, Jan 6, 2020
  4. recover encrypted data

How to open recovered encrypted files

Hi Navid,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We understand your concern and we will provide the assistance required to help you resolve the issue.

You can lose access to encrypted files if you install a new operating system or upgrade your current one, or if your current operating system fails. The following steps can help you regain access to encrypted files.

As you have stated that, the recovered files belonged to the previous OS I would suggest that you transfer the encrypted files to an external drive and perform the steps mentioned below:

• Insert the USB that your certificate and key are saved on.
    • Open Certificate Manager open Run Command and type
      certmgr.msc
      in the dialog box, and then press Enter.‌

Note: If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the left pane, click Personal.

• Click the Action menu, point to All Tasks, and then click
      Import. This opens the Certificate Import wizard
      and then click Next.
    • Click Browse and navigate to the file's location, click
      Open, and then click Next.
    • If you have navigated to the right location but don't see the certificate you are importing, then, in the list next to the
      File name box, click Personal Information Exchange.
    • Type the password, select the Mark this key as exportable check box, and then click
      Next.
    • Click Place all certificates in the following store, confirm that the
      Personal store is indicated, click Next, and then click
      Finish.
    • After you import the certificate, you should have access to the encrypted files.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

recover encrypted data

1. recover encrypted data - Similar Threads - recover encrypted data

2. Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives: Dear Community,I've used disk partitions over my pre loaded home edition window. By default i've received one C drive but after disk partition now it was three drives. Today i've reinstall the window but now big issue occur, I can access only one C drive other two devices...
  3. Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to recover the data from BitLocker encrypted drives: Dear Community,I've used disk partitions over my pre loaded home edition window. By default i've received one C drive but after disk partition now it was three drives. Today i've reinstall the window but now big issue occur, I can access only one C drive other two devices...
  4. Recover EFS encrypted data after crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover EFS encrypted data after crash: Hi everyone ,i have a very common problem that have already been signaled in here but situation is a bit different. I had to reinstall my win 10 after a big crash of my OS. There were some encrypted files on it very important ones . I've not made anything special prior to the...
  5. Recover EFS encrypted data after crash

Recover EFS encrypted data after crash: Hi everyone ,i have a very common problem that have already been signaled in here but situation is a bit different. I had to reinstall my win 10 after a big crash of my OS. There were some encrypted files on it very important ones . I've not made anything special prior to the...
  6. Data Encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Encryption: Hello,I have an ASUS laptop vivobook_asuslaptop x512ja f512ja that I am currently running windows 11 on and it is less than a year old. I am trying to turn on data encryption but it doesn't give me the option to turn on data encryption in the settings and I can't find...
  7. encrypted data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    encrypted data: i encrypted my data on USB drive and after that in installed on my computer clean installation of windows 11.Now i can't open them i dont know what to do please help : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-data/f6c6833c-e5e3-4842-a8aa-baed433808aa
  8. encrypted data

encrypted data: i encrypted my data on USB drive and after that in installed on my computer clean installation of windows 11.Now i can't open them i dont know what to do please help : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypted-data/f6c6833c-e5e3-4842-a8aa-baed433808aa
  9. recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    recovering data from bitlocker encrypted drive?: submitted by /u/Hamm103 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjra4n/recovering_data_from_bitlocker_encrypted_drive/
  10. recover encrypted data

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    recover encrypted data: Hello! I hope you can help me with the following situation: I encrypted a few files on an external hard disk, using an older laptop. That laptop does not boot anymore and cannot decrypt those files. From what I understood, those files can only be decrypted from that windows....