Windows 10: Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discus and support Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I did the following: 1. Was using Windows 7 and had a directory of encrypted files 2. Replaced the motherboard and CPU, added a new SSD as the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnO'Connor7, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Hi,

I did the following:

1. Was using Windows 7 and had a directory of encrypted files

2. Replaced the motherboard and CPU, added a new SSD as the system drive (CRecover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 :) , and added the previous system drive as an additional drive (GRecover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 :)

3. Clean installed Windows 10 on the new system drive

So my entire old Windows 7 installation is still intact, but it is not the system/boot drive anymore.

Since my new Windows 10 install is a clean one, it obviously doesn't recognize me as the same previous Windows 7 user. So even though I can see my files that were encrypted under Windows 7, I can't decrypt them. And I can't seem to find any exported EFS certificates on my old drives.

Is there any way to recover these, aside from disassembling my new computer, reassembling my old one, booting up Win 7, logging in as my "old" self, and exporting my EFS keys from there?

For example, is it possible to import my old Win 7 user account into my new Win 10 OS? And if I do that, will I be able to decrypt those files that I encrypted with that old Win 7 account?

:)

JohnO'Connor7, Aug 25, 2019

2. Windows XP file encryption

LOL thanks, I think its standard windows XP file encryption

troyrae360, Aug 25, 2019
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Aug 25, 2019
  4. qubit Win User

Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

windows 7 encryption problem

Sounds like he was using the Encrypting File System (EFS) built into XP. This uses a certificate (similar to that used on SSL for websites) and optionally a password to unlock the files.

The certificate can be stored separately from the computer and imported into another one running Windows XP, Vista or 7, in which case you can then read the files just fine.

By the sound of it, the cert wasn't stored anywhere and has now been lost due to the drive reformat.

In this case he's f*cked.

I strongly suggest you and he read up on encryption and thoroughly understand it before turning it on again. Using it in a half-baked manner does more harm than good, as you and him have found out. The Inside Out series of books from Microsoft have the best info on Windows and are reasonably priced from Amazon.

qubit, Aug 25, 2019
Thema:

Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10

1. Recover encrypted files after upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Recover encrypted files

2. Recover windows 10 upgrade from windows 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover windows 10 upgrade from windows 7: I previously upgraded my PC to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period however reverted this back post-upgrade due to incompatibility with another software package I use.This incompatibility has since been resolved and my question is how/can I reinstall the free upgrade to...
  3. Recover windows 10 upgrade from windows 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover windows 10 upgrade from windows 7: I previously upgraded my PC to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period however reverted this back post-upgrade due to incompatibility with another software package I use.This incompatibility has since been resolved and my question is how/can I reinstall the free upgrade to...
  4. Recover windows 10 upgrade from windows 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Recover Free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 after component change

Recover Free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 after component change: Hello!I received a free upgrade to Windows 10 years ago. However, I recently changed some hardware and would like to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 to a new hard drive. Also, since I changed hardware my windows activation is gone.How do I reactivate my copy of 10 and...
  6. Recover Free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 after component change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 after component change: Hello!I received a free upgrade to Windows 10 years ago. However, I recently changed some hardware and would like to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 to a new hard drive. Also, since I changed hardware my windows activation is gone.How do I reactivate my copy of 10 and...
  7. Recover Free Windows 10 upgrade from 7 after component change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Recover from no boot windows 10 - Encrypted

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recover from no boot windows 10 - Encrypted: all of the sudden my XPS 13 will not boot to windows. It started out of the blue (no updates, no hardware changes, literally nothing) It booted into windows RE a few times after failing Auto Repair. It no longer does that and now does the Dell Support assist (Showing No...
  9. Cannot open folders/files encrypted by fingerprint in Windows 7 after upgrading to Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot open folders/files encrypted by fingerprint in Windows 7 after upgrading to Windows 10: Dear all, When in Windows 7, I encrypted my folders/files using the fingerprint sensor on my Toshiba R830. It was working very well. However, after I have upgraded to Windows 10, and even after properly setting up the fingerprint sensor with the right device driver, when...
  10. recovering windows 7 user profiles after upgrading to windows 10

recovering windows 7 user profiles after upgrading to windows 10: I recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. On windows 7 I had 4 user accounts and I was the administrator. When I opened windows 10 they are not visible, I can see them in windows.old/users but I don't know how to add those accounts back onto windows 10....