Windows 10: Recover from Storage Spaces drive failure

Discus and support Recover from Storage Spaces drive failure in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There must be a very simple answer to this question so I am hoping ........... I've been researching the internet for days for a solution. Some... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by IanC657, Jul 23, 2020.

1. IanC657 Win User

Recover from Storage Spaces drive failure

There must be a very simple answer to this question so I am hoping ........... I've been researching the internet for days for a solution.

Some time ago, I came across W10 Storage Spaces utility and thought this would be a good solution to protect my data. I bought 2 3TB drive and set them up in a pool in a "mirror" configuration and assigned them as drive m: Recently drive m: disappeared from view and no longer accessible - no warning or messages. Eventually I found in Control Panel that one of the physical drives was marked with a warning as possible problem recommended to replace.

Now here comes the drama. Do you think I can find some instructions in Microsoft as to how replace the drive? Eventually, I found some forum somewhere that lead me to a possible solution. I bought a new 3TB drive and installed it in my 4th Sata port so that I can add this to the pool and then I should be able to remove the "faulty" drive, right? However, when I tried to add this drive it came up with an error message to close all programs accessing the "new" drive before adding. There were no programs using this drive but I close all apps anyway and same error message came up.

This should be simple. I am using this Microsoft utility for exactly what it was designed for but I have searched on the internet for days trying to fix what I would have thought a simple problem. What I don't understand is - if one of the drives is faulty, why isn't the other "good" drive which is mirror be still readable so I can copy data out of there? If this utility is working the way it should it should make the "good" drive readable only and give me warning to get my data out of there so I can "repair" the storage pool - that would be logical right?

I am sure I'm not the first one with this problem so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Ian

:)

IanC657, Jul 23, 2020

2. Recover from Storage Spaces drive failure

Hi IanC657, I am Rob, an independent and a 14 time and dual award MVP specializing in Windows troubleshooting and Bluescreen analysis. Please remember as independents we are not responsible for the development of Windows or the computer hardware and drivers.
    If you will work with me I will be here to help until the issue is resolved.

Please check the "How do I remove a drive from a Pool" section in this link.

Storage Spaces in Windows 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12438/...

======

Also, as needed check these :

How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/83777-remov...

How to Add Drives to Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/83700-add-d...

Check the "Related Tutorials" at the end of each above two articles for more.

Here to help,

Rob

------

Standard Disclaimer: Those may be non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research
    any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Please let us know the results and if you need further assistance. Feedback definitely helps us help all.

Rob B. - MVP, Aug 3, 2020
  3. External Drive using storage spaces does not work on my new Win 10 PC?

Hi Leo,

Storage Spaces not only increase storage over time as you add drivers to your PC, it will also help you in protecting your data from drive failures. To isolate your concern, we'd like to know if you were getting any error messages when trying
    to connect the external drive to your new PC. Also, can you tell us what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to perform a diagnostic process on your system that will check and fix issues related to Storage Spaces. To do this, please follow the steps below:

• Type troubleshooting in the Search bar, then press
      Enter.
    • Click View all from the left pane.
    • Locate and click Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter then follow the next steps.

Furthermore, here is a link for more information about the Storage
    Spaces in Windows 10

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Eileen Gal, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

Recover from Storage Spaces drive failure

1. Recover from Storage Spaces drive failure - Similar Threads - Recover Storage Spaces

2. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?: I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 mirroring. I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it. I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though...
  3. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?: I have 4X 4TB drives configured as RAID 1 mirroring. I assumed that meant that a copy of the data was also stored on the other drives since only 8TB of the 16TB is available. I ID'd the failing drive and replaced it. I'm unable to remove the drive from the pool even though...
  4. How do you recover data/repair from a drive failure in Windows 10 Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Storage Spaces drive missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Spaces drive missing: My storage spaces "two-way mirror" pool has lost one of the drives after using the drive individually in another PC. The drive shows up as green and "okay", but none of the updated files are on it and it doesn't show up when connected alone. When running recovery software...
  6. Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces

Mirrored drives in Storage Spaces: If I create a Storage Space and create mirrored drives, does Storage Spaces alert me if one drive fails, or would Windows allow me to continue using the system blindly until both drives fail?...
  7. Help removing drive from storage space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help removing drive from storage space: [ATTACH] i've tried multiple thing but i cannot get a bad drive to remove from pool its has 0.01% left on it I'm ok losing that data When trying to remove via the GUI Listing says preparing to remove has been trying to re balance for over a week and wont end what...
  8. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  9. How to recover a volume accidentally delete from Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to recover a volume accidentally delete from Storage Spaces: Need urgent help here: 1. I have a Mass Storage Space created and it included 3 disks 2. In Disk Manager, I accidentally deleted the volume on the storage space 3. The files are all there on the three disk as in the Storage Space management page the disks are all showing...
  10. Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10: How to: Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 How to Remove Drive from Storage Pool for Storage Spaces in Windows 10 [img] Information add more drives to the storage pool. If you upgraded an existing pool, you'll be able to remove a drive...