Windows 10: Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro

Discus and support Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi and here goes .. *Upgraded from Win7 Pro (original installed at purchase) to 10 Pro online and been great for months *After last automatic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Toni Kruger, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro

Hi and here goes ..

*Upgraded from Win7 Pro (original installed at purchase) to 10 Pro online and been great for months
    *After last automatic updates BSOD
    *Laptop was signed in Ms acc before crash and says I am running Win10 verified - laptop says running Win7?
    (all my 7 & 10 references throughout this post refer corresponding Pro)
    *Ms Answer Desk gave me Win10 Pro reboot usb (64 bit - I am on 32 I think) and Win7 Pro bootable via another laptop
    *Both usb's boot my machine - I 'reset' before all this and both say I cannot recover / repair from usb startup - machine won't start without
    *Startup repair unsuccessful in Win10 boot
    *Win7 boot says cannot repair (laptop not running this version)
    *I can get into c prompt - I ran a chkdsk c:/f/r (out of my depth but it ran complete 5 stages and says it is happy?)
    *If I select Install on 10 or 7 I get 5 partition options - each 'cannot install here' but options to delete/ format some partitions (again out of my depth but I can follow instructions)

*First prize - repair / reinstall Win10 Pro
    *Or clean install same
    *Or same in Win7 Pro and let Ms upgrade me again once I can get into my machine

In clearing a usb for Ms to download boot tool to I very cleverly wiped out my entire external backup complete with system image and file backups. I have nothing but a clean working machine is a great start right now

I am in South Africa and Ms Desk suggested calling local support NOT available out of business hours here ..

I will be grateful for any and all.
    Thanks.

:)

Toni Kruger, Nov 19, 2016
  2. DarrylHXG Win User

New Desktop - has Win 7 Pro - Have Win 10 Pro DVD

Seems that my previous attempts to upgrade to Win 10 Pro via the manufacturer supplided DVD have lost my Win 7 Pro installation.

Using the supplied Dell Win 10 Pro DVD, or I can migrate this to a USB, is it possible to install Win 10 Pro now that the Win 7 is gone? Or do I need to reinstall Win 7 Pro before attempting to install Win 10 Pro.

Thanks.

DarrylHXG, Nov 19, 2016
  3. Got wrong version of Win 10.

I have a Toshiba L875D which came with Win 7 Pro then updated to Win 8.1 Pro then updated to Win 10 Pro. Earlier this week I had a serious problem and had to reinstall all my software. I reinstalled the original Win 7 then downloaded Win 8. For some reason
    it installed Win 10 Home. How do I go about getting this upgraded to Pro without having to pay for it?

Thanks

Bill Kunert, Nov 19, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro

Hi Toni Kruger,

Welcome to the 10forums *Smile

Startup repair usually says that the problem couldn't be repaired, but we mostly recommend to perform 3 startup repairs with reboot in between and a few times chkdsk with also a reboot in between, that usually resolves certain boot problems.

All you need to do is delete a partition that is large enough, then choose the free space that has been created when deleting the partition and everything should be going as it should *Smile

A partition large enough is a partition that is on the safe side at least 50GB.

5. Hi Martjin

Thanks so for this.

I will follow your first advices first.

Regarding which partition here is a screenshot - please tell me which I must not and which I can use.

I am presuming to use one I select 'format' and then proceed?

Once again, thank you so much thus far.

6. Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro [​IMG]

7. axe0 New Member
    Alright, let's first clear up a few things so we know where we add with your partitions

• Your HDD is using GPT format table, this guess is based on the ESP partition where ESP stands for EFI System Partition (important to know in some situations)
    • Partitions 1 to 3 are no visible partitions (at least they shouldn't) and are created while installing, so they may be deleted.
    • Partition 4 is the partition you use.
    • Partition 5 is the recovery partition from Acer that provides the option to reset the laptop to the situation when it was delivered, you could delete this one if you want.

Partition 1 to 3 could be deleted and partition 4 needs to be deleted.

No, select a partition, select 'delete' and then proceed.

8. Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro

Thank you. Thank you.

I am running your first options and hope to update you with my(our) successes soon.

You are a hero!

Toni Kruger, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro

1. Recover / Reinstall Win 10 / 7 Pro - Similar Threads - Recover Reinstall Pro

2. Reinstal Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstal Win 7: I Installed Win 11 on my old laptop, but its so slow I want to reinstall Win 7 before I sell it. I get msg "..........partitions not in recommended order..." What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstal-win-7/8dd08ed6-8d23-4ff9-9c50-7402805e6781
  3. Reinstal Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstal Win 7: I Installed Win 11 on my old laptop, but its so slow I want to reinstall Win 7 before I sell it. I get msg "..........partitions not in recommended order..." What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstal-win-7/8dd08ed6-8d23-4ff9-9c50-7402805e6781
  4. Reinstalling Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Win 10 Pro: My C Drive is corrupted. I have my original Win 10 Pro stick and Key card can I just reinstall it or can I install it on a new HD- preferred?I have tried doing a reinstall through System Restore but it only get part way and say it is unable to do so as something is stopping...
  5. Reinstalling Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Win 10 Pro: My C Drive is corrupted. I have my original Win 10 Pro stick and Key card can I just reinstall it or can I install it on a new HD- preferred?I have tried doing a reinstall through System Restore but it only get part way and say it is unable to do so as something is stopping...
  6. Reinstalling Win 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. reinstall win 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reinstall win 10 pro: Hello i have 2 pc's with win 10 pro installed from previous windows editions. The first PC had win 7 pro and i moved to win 10 pro through and update at 2014, the second had win 8.1 pro and i updated to win 10 pro same way at 2014 again. now that i need to add a new hard disk...
  8. win 7 pro win 10 pro

win 7 pro win 10 pro: how do I upgrade from win 7 to win 10? I have product key for 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-pro-win-10-pro/931e1125-6737-4bec-821b-26fd3cc64bac
  9. Reinstall Win 10 onto Win 7

Reinstall Win 10 onto Win 7: A computer glitch during a download (in Win 10) required that the only way to start up ( I tried several programs that wouldn't work-Intermediate to advanced user). The recovery loaded the original Win 7. I had loaded Win 10 free during appropriate time period. Is there...
  10. Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Win 7 Pro to Win 10: Upgraded, appeared to be fine. Now printer doesn't print. Shows as default, but won't print...*Sad 10819