Windows 10: Recover windows from dead hard drive

Discus and support Recover windows from dead hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello there, I have a Huawei Matebook x whose hard drive is dead and won't boot. Nor am I able to get into the recovery for reset. I know I will have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PS_420, Dec 8, 2018.

1. PS_420 Win User

Recover windows from dead hard drive

Hello there,

I have a Huawei Matebook x whose hard drive is dead and won't boot. Nor am I able to get into the recovery for reset. I know I will have to replace the ssd and do a fresh windows install. I don't have a recovery disc or usb either. I was wondering if

1) there is a way to get a copy of windows for install

2) recover and reuse my existing oem license on the same laptop after the ssd chnage

My laptop is under warranty but was bought is China (And I won't be going there again) and so, Huawei US refuses to help with anything Windows, directing me to Microsoft. So that route is closed. So that route is a no go.

Will appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!!

:)

PS_420, Dec 8, 2018

2. recovering data possible dead hard drive

i was wonder if there is a way to recover data from a possibly dead hard drive?

few days ago we had a power surge in town causing an area wide power spike. lost power for only a few seconds but i think it was enough to cause damage. power came back and i tried to boot up my system but to no avail. i have 2-1 tb hard drives in my system drive one is a western digital 1 tb and the other is a hitatchi 1 tb. when i rebuilt the system and tried boot up, the WD hard drive was not recognized and the hitachi was reconized in BIOS, i assumed that it was a bad connection, checked and rechecked all cabling to the mother board. all connections appeared to be well connected,satas were enabled in BIOS. no noise coming from the WD hard drive, not sure if it is even spinning, but i think its dead. have important data on the drive i would like to recover.

so i guess my question is can i recover the data from the drive and possibly hot swap it to the working hitachi drive? are there any free or recommendable programs or devices i can use to even just recover the data from the WD drive available?

victorm294, Dec 8, 2018
  3. Recover files from Flash drive

Does not work on a windows pc which is what the OP probably intended

windows by default does not have HFS and HFS+ based hard drives.
    Able to perform retrieval on both HFS and HFS+ based hard drives. and so will not work with windows

thanks for the effort

dorsetknob, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Recover windows from dead hard drive

recovering data possible dead hard drive

Hello, @victorm294!

Well, I'm really sorry to hear about your accident with the WD HDD.
    I'd still advise to try that WD drive on another PC just in case, and see if it will get detected there, or if it even spins up. You also mentioned you checked all connections, but did you try connecting the WD drive with a different SATA cable?

If none of these worked, then recovering your data might be a lot more difficult. *Frown Recover windows from dead hard drive :(
    I'd suggest to turn to a professional data recovery, it also won't hurt to try what @RCoon suggested. However I'm not sure it's going to work, if the drive doesn't even spin up.
    Data recovery companies are costly indeed, but if your files are that important, I'm not sure you have any other choice.
    If the drive doesn't even spin up, we are most probably facing a physical damage from the power surge. This means you won't be able to fix it yourself. HDD physical repairs require a clean environment and technical knowledge of the HDD's structure and components.

My suggestion would be to get in touch with such a company and explain your situation, hopefully the repair will be affordable. Here's a list of all our data recovery partners worldwide: http://goo.gl/kkn4Vs

Just a tip: This is exactly why we recommend keeping backups offsite as well, power surges/system failures can result in such unpleasant situations. :/

I hope this helps you!
    And if you need further assistance or more information,
    I'd suggest to contact our tech support:
    http://goo.gl/BXehMx

Good luck, @victorm294!

P.S. Thank you for notifying me, @RCoon! *Smile Recover windows from dead hard drive :)

SuperSoph_WD, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

Recover windows from dead hard drive

1. Recover windows from dead hard drive - Similar Threads - Recover dead hard

2. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  3. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  4. Recovering user files from old hard drive from dead PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering user files from old hard drive from dead PC: I had an all-in-one PC that died about a year ago and have just managed to get my hands on a hard drive caddy to try and recover the files that I had on the old PC's HDD. However, when I go into the disk I cannot access the files - when I try to go into my old user profile on...
  5. Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovering Photos from a dying (dead?) Internal Hard Drive: Greetings, I have a friend who has a six year old HP laptop. The hard disk has been crawling for a while and they finally got the black screen of death. They booted into an HP Repair Utility, it tested the HDD, and came back with a code indicating it's either toast or nearly...
  6. Is my hard drive dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my hard drive dead?: Context: my computer is 12 years old and just recently when force shutting it down after it crashing from opening a program while making weird beeping noises whenever I press any keyboard input or click my mouse. When booted up, it seemed to be stuck on a black screen so I...
  7. Dead hard drive with activated windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead hard drive with activated windows: Recently, my hard drive died with windows 10 home installed on it. I do not have the key for it however, because it was a laptop that included a copy of windows 10. I was wondering if there was any way that i would be able to install it on the new hard drive, which is taking...
  8. Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?: I was having trouble with my laptop which I could not sort out. I decided to take out my hard drive and check it on another laptop using a sata/usb lead. I could not read the drive as it asked me if I wanted to format it. Where has my data gone and is the drive dead and could...
  9. Recovering games from hard drives

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Recovering games from hard drives: So ive just reinstalled windows 10 on my SSD boot drive. I had all my games from the xboxbeta app on another internal hard drive but when i reinstalled the app all my games were gone and i could not find them. how would i recover my games from these hard drives so i dont have...
  10. Windows 10 install from dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install from dead hard drive: Is there a way to transfer my windows 10 and other files which live on a dead hard drive directly onto a new hard drive which i have mounted into the laptop the dead hdd came out of? I removed the dead hdd and used a sata to usb cable to check if my files are still on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recover windows activation from dead hard drive