Windows 10: Recovering access to Microsoft Account

Discus and support Recovering access to Microsoft Account in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I've been locked out of my Microsoft Account, using I go to account.live.com/password/reset and enter my ID. I click on "Forgotten Password" and go... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Swifty, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

Recovering access to Microsoft Account

I've been locked out of my Microsoft Account, using
    I go to account.live.com/password/reset and enter my ID. I click on "Forgotten Password" and go though the process which includes getting a code sent to my phone.
    I enter a new password, and a password verification, and I'm told it works.
    So, I try to logon with my new credentials, only to be told that my password is wrong!

This smacks of being revoked, and a password change process which doesn't bother to bore me with this fact.

But how to get past this?

Is there any way to see what actual password I've just typed in when I've entered my new password? I'm reminded of the fellow who had three "r"s in his password, and his "r" key had become noisy, entering characters at random. Since he couldn't see what characters were actually being entered, he'd been trying to logon for about three hours before he worked out how to call me at home, for support!

:)

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  2. Nakouzia Win User

How to reset Windows 10 Local user, while using Microsoft account?

how to recover windows local account password while using Microsoft account on Windows 10, since some apps need the local password to let me access it and Microsoft account password or the pin didn't work.

Nakouzia, Jul 13, 2017
  3. I received an unsolicited text message on my mobile (cell phone)

Is this a scam or a genuine text message from Microsoft?

Someone else might have accessed Microsoft account si*****@btinter*,com. Recover at https://account.live.com

Simeonposner, Jul 13, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

There is nothing that you can do. Even Microsoft will not help to recover that account. You just have to create a whole new account with a different email account.

bro67, Jul 13, 2017
  5. Swifty Win User
    Well, that's me dead in the water. I have only one email account, and I'm not about to complicate matters even further.

Swifty, Jul 13, 2017
  6. Swifty Win User
    I had one more go at resurrecting my userid that had been forcibly changed to Microsoft Account and it worked.

I have no idea how/why it had changed from Microsoft Account, but I have a saying for situations like this... see ANY-Web Community Websites

Swifty, Jul 14, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Microsoft has gotten to where they are no longer customer friendly, you are not alone. My wife still has her’s so that I can use it when we need to purchase office for her. I hate the fact that they and other sites like FB do not force a recovery or second level security with a cellphone or alternative email. My wife actually has made up a spreadsheet for all of our accounts that we keep a print d copy handy, a copy in iCloud and a copy of accounts in our notes app for our iPhone.

The worste part about losing access to a Microsoft account is when gamers have history and purchases on it. I had to jump through hoops when my son got locked out and the rep in India was locked into a loop on script flowchart.

bro67, Jul 14, 2017
  8. DavidY Win User

Sounds like you got it sorted anyway, but in case this helps in future, the answer is Yes:
    Use the Edge browser or Internet Explorer.
    When you start typing In the password box there should be a symbol on the right hand end of that box.
    I think the symbol is supposed to represent an eyebrow - like a dot and a curve above it.
    Clicking on that symbol shows the password you're typing. Microsoft have started to use it in a few places.

DavidY, Jul 14, 2017
  9. Swifty Win User
    Thanks for that suggestion. I'll go and add it to my folder of tips and tricks.

In fact, despite my default browser being Chrome, my most recent attempt at resetting my Microsoft Account password was handled by one of the MS browsers, and I used the "eye" symbol to verify it before entering it.
    I wonder if I can get the same behaviour with the logon password field? (In for a penny, in for a pound!)

I recall having a browser extension which implemented this action. That was several years ago, so it was probably for the Opera browser.
    I wonder if Chrome has such an extension?

Many websites block pasting into password input fields, which I find unhelpful, as I have every password I've ever typed in a password repository, but my success rate typing passwords is less than 70%

Swifty, Jul 14, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Have you tried any of the extensions for Chrome that act like a Keychain? I have had to clear out passwords in my Google account for Chrome, because I had so many old network devices in it and old websites that I no longer go to. It gets to the point that if you do not do house keeping, it ends up being a bigger hassle.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Recovering access to Microsoft Account - Similar Threads - Recovering access Microsoft

2. Recover access to Microsoft Live account where there is no access to the associated email...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Recover access to Microsoft Live account where there is no access to the associated email...: Hi,My dad's PC is refusing to boot into Windows. I want to revert the OS to an earlier version however I need the bitlocker key to do that. Unfortunately my dad cannot recall the password for Microsoft Live to access the bitlocker key, and although I thought I had a note of...
  3. how to recover Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to recover Microsoft account: how to get back Microsoft account when I forgot password and details of the account and haven't send any mail from the account so can any one help me to recover my account and I can change the password...
  4. can't recover microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can't recover microsoft account: I have tried to login to my microsoft account and when I enter the password I get a message saying that there has been unusual activity and have to verify I am who I am.I have tried the account recovery form several times but it says that I can't be verified.Please contact me...
  5. can't recover microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    can't recover microsoft account: I have tried to login to my microsoft account and when I enter the password I get a message saying that there has been unusual activity and have to verify I am who I am.I have tried the account recovery form several times but it says that I can't be verified.Please contact me...
  6. can't recover microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to recover Microsoft account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to recover Microsoft account?: Hi,I am having an issue with logging into my Microsoft account which is registered using a *** Email address is removed for privacy *** email.The recovery email address seems to have changed to a l*.tom.com email address that I do not recognise and I looks like this is common...
  8. How to recover Microsoft account?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to recover Microsoft account?: Hi,I am having an issue with logging into my Microsoft account which is registered using a *** Email address is removed for privacy *** email.The recovery email address seems to have changed to a l*.tom.com email address that I do not recognise and I looks like this is common...
  9. No Access to Info Needed to Recover Microsoft Account

No Access to Info Needed to Recover Microsoft Account: I created a Microsoft account in December 2015 in order to purchase software through the Microsoft Home Use Program. I am trying to access the account to reinstall my software purchase but do not have the password. I click the "Forgot Password" link and then am taken through...
  10. Recover Hacked Microsoft account

Recover Hacked Microsoft account: my main account has been hacked and i have had details changed and my password has been changed also to get a code the email address is not mine i only recieved any warning after it had be changed to say i had reset my password i then saw three seperate emails with codes to...