Windows 10: Recovering Bitlocker locked system

Discus and support Recovering Bitlocker locked system in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a sinking feeling about this one. I do IT support and a new client has dropped off an all-in-one Dell system that won't boot. It starts the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Rob Nicholson (Home), Mar 18, 2019.

1. Recovering Bitlocker locked system

I have a sinking feeling about this one. I do IT support and a new client has dropped off an all-in-one Dell system that won't boot. It starts the Windows boot sequence but then goes into the Dell recovery system. Not good news! My normal approach here is to immediately use Macrium Reflect to take an image of the entire system before one starts messing about.

Except... Reflect shows that the C: drive is protected using Bitlocker… the chances of the client having a record of the recovery key I'm going to say is slim. I'm currently doing a sector copy full copy using Reflect which is going to take six hours.

Am I right in saying that if I can't get the OS booting that we're up that creek without a paddle in terms of recovering the data on the disk?

:)

Rob Nicholson (Home), Mar 18, 2019
  2. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Mar 18, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Mar 18, 2019
  4. Recovering Bitlocker locked system

Bitlocker locked on startup

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Follow the below steps and check if it helps:

I suggest you to try the step under the section "To unlock removable data drive" in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/unlock-bitlocker-protected-drive

Note: The steps for Windows 8.1 applies to Windows 10 as well.

For further reference, ask OP to refer to the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/bitlocker-drive-encryption

I hope this information helps.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Mar 18, 2019
Thema:

Recovering Bitlocker locked system

1. Recovering Bitlocker locked system - Similar Threads - Recovering Bitlocker locked

2. BitLocker Lock Out - Need to Recover Data on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BitLocker Lock Out - Need to Recover Data on Hard Drive: My Lenovo Yoga 9-14ITL5 Laptop had an abnormal fan noise, so I called Premium Care Support for help. To diagnose the hardware problem, they ran me through a BIOS set up. After unsuccessfully diagnosing the issue, they asked me to restart the laptop to try something else....
  3. BitLocker Lock Out - Need to Recover Data on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Lock Out - Need to Recover Data on Hard Drive: My Lenovo Yoga 9-14ITL5 Laptop had an abnormal fan noise, so I called Premium Care Support for help. To diagnose the hardware problem, they ran me through a BIOS set up. After unsuccessfully diagnosing the issue, they asked me to restart the laptop to try something else....
  4. I cant recover BitLocker key for my laptop as it is locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant recover BitLocker key for my laptop as it is locked: I have Dell Inspirion laptop and microsoft windows. My laptop is locked. I cant use it until I recover BitLocker Key. In order to recover BitLocker I need two pieces of information, my phone number which I have and an email which is no longer available as I retired and my...
  5. I cant recover BitLocker key for my laptop as it is locked

I cant recover BitLocker key for my laptop as it is locked: I have Dell Inspirion laptop and microsoft windows. My laptop is locked. I cant use it until I recover BitLocker Key. In order to recover BitLocker I need two pieces of information, my phone number which I have and an email which is no longer available as I retired and my...
  6. BitLocker Recover

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    BitLocker Recover: Just turned on my HP All in One purchased Dec 2020 and never had a problem and got a blue screen asking to enter my recovery key for this device. I signed in to my MS account selected the device an the link to "manage my key" and it goes to a page that says "Try a different...
  7. BitLocker Recover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BitLocker Recover: Just turned on my HP All in One purchased Dec 2020 and never had a problem and got a blue screen asking to enter my recovery key for this device. I signed in to my MS account selected the device an the link to "manage my key" and it goes to a page that says "Try a different...
  8. BitLocker Recover

9. how to recover the drive lock with bitlocker without recovery key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to recover the drive lock with bitlocker without recovery key: Hello Sir, I have a problem with the bitlocker feature of Microsoft window10. I have lock my drive through bitlocker but due to some reason my window got corrupt. and I have to format the window in which I had the recover key. and I have formatted window first with...
  10. Locked out of system via Bitlocker, can't reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Locked out of system via Bitlocker, can't reset: Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this. Full disclosure straight away: I've had this issue dumped on me by my mother and she's not been particularly forthcoming with details (she's old, bless her), so bear with me. She has a Linx1020 tablet which has...