Windows 10: Recovering Data from 3.5" Floppy Disks in Windows 10

Discus and support Recovering Data from 3.5" Floppy Disks in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, I am trying to recover data from a number of old 3.5" disks without success. I'm using Windows 10 and both a TEAC uf000x usb floppy drive and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WillTaylor7, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Recovering Data from 3.5" Floppy Disks in Windows 10

Hi all,

I am trying to recover data from a number of old 3.5" disks without success. I'm using Windows 10 and both a TEAC uf000x usb floppy drive and also an unknown Toshiba drive Listed as TEAC FD-05PUB under my hardware. Both are having the same issue - I can't open my files.

When I first insert the disk the drive buzzes away and is able to recognise the files on the disk. However when I go to open the files I get a notification saying the document can't be read. I think it may be a driver issue, as when I go to open the files the disk drive doesn't try to read the disk at all There's no sound or light from the drive. It seems as though Windows 10 recognises the drive as an internal drive. Windows is telling me I have all the latest drivers installed.

The drives and disks seem to work fine otherwise. I've been able to save data to a disk that had some space, and on a seperate computer I'm able to see that the new file is there. I just can't open it - the drive once again won't activate.

Any fixes?

Thank you in advance,
    William

:)

WillTaylor7, Feb 25, 2020

2. Cannot read files on floppy disk

What are the files you need to get from the floppy? can't you just download them elsewere?

Or are they files that you saved for a project or something like that.

I also found this website, There seems to be a free utility for recovering data from floppys but i cant test as i havent used a floppy drive for maybe 6 years now.

FREE Freeware Data Recovery Software Full Versions

Floppy Disk Data Recovery Tool - This tool can recover data from even damaged floppy disks. Quick and easy tool for those still using the ole floppy disks.

animal007uk, Feb 25, 2020
  3. Joan Pin Win User
    Floppy disk controller which will not function in Windows 10

Hi Bob,

This issue may occur due to compatibility issues. Normally, if the new drive was reformatted, it gets a drive letter automatically and you do not need to take any further actions. Regarding the floppy-disk controller concern, please answer the following:

• How did you install the floppy-disk controller on your device?
    • Have you tried downloading the latest driver for the floppy-disk controller on its manufacturer's website?

In the meantime, we suggest that you run the built-in hardware and devices troubleshooter in Windows 10. To do this, refer to these steps:

• Press Windows key +X and select Control Panel.
    • Change the View by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Choose Troubleshooting and click on the View all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.
    • Restart your computer.

Please post back with the status of the issue, we'll be glad to assist you further.

Joan Pin, Feb 25, 2020
  4. Recovering Data from 3.5" Floppy Disks in Windows 10

Floppy disk drive and windows 10

This instructions are for windows 7 put it dose work on windows 10

In this day and age, with the fact that most new pc’s do not have floppy drives anymore, as a tech, I still find times where bring out an old reliable floppy is my best way to resolve a problem. Many people still have some “classic” tools that are
    on floppy, or documents or pictures saved on floppy (Before CDRW/DVDRW drives became the norm, floppy disks were the way to store and transfer files).

The problem is that many of the Floppy drives do not have drivers or “official” support for Windows Vista or Windows 7. This post covers just such an issue. I use an Iomega USB drive, and whenever I plug it into my Windows 7 pc’s, I get a message
    that Windows can’t find a driver for my device.

Here are some simple steps to get your drive to work with Vista or W7.

1) When you install the drive you will get the message that your drive needs to find drivers. Just hit Cancel

2) Go to start –> Control Panel –> System –> Device Manager

(Example from Windows 7, Vista may look a little different)

3) When the Device Manager opens you will see a listing for X1DE-USB with a Yellow triangle next to it under Other Devices. On that line item right mouse click (NOTE IM SAYING RIGHT MOUSE) and then select Update Driver software and left mouse click
    (NOTE THAT I SAID LEFT)

4) Now select Browse my computer for driver software

5) Now select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer and click on Next

6) Now you will get a box to select your device type from list, click on “Show All Devices” and click on Next

7) In the following window, for the box on the left select NEC Systems, and then on the right select NEC USB Floppy then click on Next

8 ) You will be told by Windows that “Installing this device driver is not recommended…..” its ok just click on Yes to continue.

9) Lastly you will be told that Windows has successfully updated your driver software.

Now if you look at the Device Manager you will see the listing for Floppy disk drive – Citizen X1DE.

Finally if you look in the My Computer icon, you will see the A: drive listed for your floppy drive

With that you now have a working Floppy USB drive.

Micheal Morris 2, Feb 25, 2020
Thema:

Recovering Data from 3.5" Floppy Disks in Windows 10

1. Recovering Data from 3.5" Floppy Disks in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Recovering Data Floppy

2. Floppy disk drive on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Floppy disk drive on Windows 10: I recently bought bought a floppy drive off Amazon along with some diskettes, but when trying to format the drive it gives me an error saying "Windows was unable to complete the format". Does anyone have a fix for this?...
  3. Floppy disk drive on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Floppy disk drive on Windows 10: I recently bought bought a floppy drive off Amazon along with some diskettes, but when trying to format the drive it gives me an error saying "Windows was unable to complete the format". Does anyone have a fix for this?...
  4. Floppy disk drive on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Floppy Disk Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Floppy Disk Problem: I have a Windows 7 64 bit system that I still use two external floppy disk drives to store some data. I figure if the disks ever get stolen, no one has the old drives to read them! Plus, I got a gross of disks when they were being discontinued for nothing. Ha! Anyway, I've...
  6. Floppy Disk Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Floppy Disk Problem: I have a Windows 7 64 bit system that I still use two external floppy disk drives to store some data. I figure if the disks ever get stolen, no one has the old drives to read them! Plus, I got a gross of disks when they were being discontinued for nothing. Ha! Anyway, I've...
  7. How can I recover the data in partitions 5 and 6 of disk 1?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How can I recover the data in partitions 5 and 6 of disk 1?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/GabriCorFer [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ky2xa4/how_can_i_recover_the_data_in_partitions_5_and_6/
  8. Recover data from reboot on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recover data from reboot on Windows 10: Good evening everyone! I did a reboot on my computer and forgot to save a folder from the documents! Can someone help me to know if i can recover it? Thank you!...
  9. Floppy Disk

Floppy Disk: Window 10 does not recognized the floppy disk when a disk is inserted. Is there an update? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/floppy-disk/fde13a9a-d820-4fe5-b508-5b03d022ba1e
  10. Recover data from RAW disk?

Recover data from RAW disk?: Hello all! I had Windows 10 Enterprise on a ssd 480gb sandisk ultra II but It's corrupted, I can't even launch Windows or repair tools. I've managed to run repair tools and get a command prompt, as diskpart says, my disk is on a raw partition now, and it shows the...