Windows 10: Recovering data from a broken vmdk file.

Discus and support Recovering data from a broken vmdk file. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Just a tip (but use carefully). If you find that you have a corrupt VMDK virtual disk - on vmware it may be possible to rescue a lot of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 19, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Recovering data from a broken vmdk file.

Hi there

Just a tip (but use carefully). If you find that you have a corrupt VMDK virtual disk - on vmware it may be possible to rescue a lot of the data on it.

This is what to do :

1) Start vmware to open ANY VM (Linux or windows VM) - or f you haven't got any spare VM's then create a new one (Linux distro is probably easiest for a quick VM - although any Windows VM will do.

2) In the config file add new Disk -- ==>choose existing Virtual disk. Choose the BASE vmdk file i.e the one without the numbers like suffix -nnn-vmdk

3) power on the VM.

Now you should be able to retrieve most of the data (unless the VMDK file is totally 100% hosed up).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 19, 2015

2. FAQ

can i recover data from broken screen in lumia 535

Abhishekkumar722, Feb 19, 2015
  3. Logitusa Win User
    Do I have to disable Secure Book to mount a Virtual Drive to Restore a Backup

The virtual drive file extension is VMDK

Logitusa, Feb 19, 2015
Thema:

Recovering data from a broken vmdk file.

1. Recovering data from a broken vmdk file. - Similar Threads - Recovering data broken

2. recover data/files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recover data/files: hi,I have a USB stick with important files and folders. But when I tried to open the drive, it stated to format. Fat. Cannot open it. I do not want to format it. How can retrieve everything in it without formatting the drive?...
  3. recover data/files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recover data/files: hi,I have a USB stick with important files and folders. But when I tried to open the drive, it stated to format. Fat. Cannot open it. I do not want to format it. How can retrieve everything in it without formatting the drive?...
  4. Recovering data from an SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering data from an SSD: I'm making a desperate and maybe senseless move to recover data from my SSD because of my mistake I only want to recover some small files from the documents in my old OS the history of my SSD is that I full formatted it twice because first I removed my old OS and second I...
  5. Recovering data from an SSD

Recovering data from an SSD: I'm making a desperate and maybe senseless move to recover data from my SSD because of my mistake I only want to recover some small files from the documents in my old OS the history of my SSD is that I full formatted it twice because first I removed my old OS and second I...
  6. Recovering data from an SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Recovering Data from DiskPart Clean

Recovering Data from DiskPart Clean: I've accidentally used DiskPart clean without knowing that it would wipe all data on my thumb drive, what is a simple way on getting these files back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovering-data-from-diskpart-clean/f3a235ed-6c5b-45c0-9b41-5347c7d3a6ae
  8. File history to recover data

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File history to recover data: Just had to reinstall windows which isn't ideal. I had accounted for everything after motherboard change except the need to change my main partition from mbr to gpt.....now I have file history occupying another drive, can I use this to integrate my data back into windows?...
  9. Recovering Data from HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Data from HDD: I have a HDD from a laptop that died. The laptop died because of a power issue it did not crash and the HDD should not have been affected. I removed the HDD from the laptop to recover the files. The laptop was running windows 7. I've installed the HDD on my windows 10...
  10. Recover data from Simple Volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recover data from Simple Volume: Hi I converted a partition of my HDD to a simple volume, and on my other partition was an ext4 which I then changed back to NTFS. Now, the NTFS has been picked up by Windows 10 as the "main" drive, and now doesn't recognize the simple volume and as a result, my files are...