Windows 10: Recovering display language English

Discus and support Recovering display language English in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I am aware that this is a topic on different threads. My laptop has windows 10 home build 1803 with English (US) as the default display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pozzie, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Pozzie Win User

Recovering display language English

Hi

I am aware that this is a topic on different threads.

My laptop has windows 10 home build 1803 with English (US) as the default display language. Today I added French as the display language using the instructions on settings. It worked (though gave me grief as the keyboard layout changed from QWERTY to the French equivalent (AZERY or equiv). The language was useful for an essay.

Now I want to go back to English: but cannot. Click: Settings, Time and Language, Region and Language, Display Language - English (US) - all is ok. BUT, the page does not hold English(US) and resets back to French. There is no "Select as default" key. Restart doesn't help.

There is "Add another language" key and a list of languages but ENGLISH (US) is shaded out and cannot be selected. I have tried to load English (UK) but nothing happenend, even though it went through the motions.

If I click on Extra settings for date, time and region ("Parametres de date, d'heure et regionaux supplementaires) there are only subsets for time and region - not language (whereas on another computer there is a section on language).

Queries:

If Win 10 HOME does not allow alternative languages, why was the addition of French accepted - OR does it mean that I have changed languages not added another. There is only one language allowed and that now is French?

If so (ie only 1 language is allowable) , how can I change language back to English? [ Please not that + add a language did not work - see above]

Will system restore work?

Thanks

:)

Pozzie, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Pozzie Win User

Hi

I am aware that this is a topic on different threads.

My laptop has windows 10 home build 1803 with English (US) as the default display language. Today I added French as the display language using the instructions on settings. It worked (though gave me grief as the keyboard layout changed from QWERTY to the
    French equivalent (AZERY or equiv). The language was useful for an essay.

Now I want to go back to English: but cannot. Click: Settings, Time and Language, Region and Language, Display Language - English (US) - all is ok. BUT, the page does not hold English(US) and resets back to French. There is no "Select as default" key.
    Restart doesn't help.

There is "Add another language" key and a list of languages but ENGLISH (US) is shaded out and cannot be selected. I have tried to load English (UK) but nothing happenend, even though it went through the motions.

If I click on Extra settings for date, time and region ("Parametres de date, d'heure et regionaux supplementaires) there are only subsets for time and region - not language (whereas on another computer there is a section on language).

Queries:

If Win 10 HOME does not allow alternative languages, why was the addition of French accepted - OR does it mean that I have changed languages not added another. There is only one language allowed and that now is French?

If so (ie only 1 language is allowable) , how can I change language back to English? [ Please note that + add a language did not work - see above]

Will system restore work?

Thanks

Pozzie, Oct 29, 2018
  3. RFC3514 Win User
    Tooltips displayed in the wrong language

Although my version of Windows is set to English and the GPU-Z "Tooltip Language" appears as "System Default (English (United Kingdom))", the tooltips are appearing in the language corresponding to my system locale (or possibly keyboard layout), not the actual system language. I frequently change the keyboard layout and date format (to match the clients I'm working for and the language I'm writing in), but the system language never changes (and software is supposed to run in that language).

I can manually select "English (United States)", but this basically makes it impossible for me to select the "correct" language (i.e., UK English), because it doesn't appear in the list (other than as "system default" - but is then ignored). Obviously it makes no difference to me if it's in UK or US English, but people with other language combinations might have a problem.

It seems the routine that populates the language list in the options is (correctly) determining the system language, but the routine that actually generates the tooltips is (incorrectly) reading the system locale instead of language.

RFC3514, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Pozzie Win User

Hi BartDee

Problem is, there is no clickable "choose language" step.. There is "clock, language, region" then there is drop down menu to choose a display language, but after that there is no "select" or "default" or "apply" or similar. So yes I can arrow into Eng
    (US) on the drop down but the selection doesn't stick and as soon as I leave that page, the dropdown reverts to French.

Pozzie, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Recovering display language English - Similar Threads - Recovering display language

2. Translating a Danish language PDF to English language?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Translating a Danish language PDF to English language?: Translating a Danish language PDF to English language? Can anyone help? I'm having two related issues here. I cannot seem to convert the PDF to Word as there is the language problem and I cannot translate a doc from Danish to English unless it's in Word format....
  3. Windows Display Language Changed from English(India) to English(United States)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Display Language Changed from English(India) to English(United States): Hey I have a OEM Windows 10 Home Single Language and my Windows Display Language has been changed after May Update 1903 . from English(India) to English(United States) [ATTACH]I have upgraded my pc from October Update(1809) to May Update (1903) using Windows Update...
  4. How to change display of saved documents in Notepad to English Language

How to change display of saved documents in Notepad to English Language: I cannot understand what is displayed on a saved document from Notepad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-display-of-saved-documents-in/10472047-c354-4bb7-ae2c-40a0ad5e2523
  5. English Language Pack

English Language Pack: Hi, I am an American currently visiting Mexico. I bought a computer here and am unable to change it from Spanish to English, it does not give me the option. I assumeI need to install an English Language Pack, but I have been unable to find it on the website. I am running...
  6. Windows 10 - Make current typing language display in English

Windows 10 - Make current typing language display in English: Hello everyone, Windows used to display multiple languages in the language bar in English, ex: EN for English, TH for Thai, RU for Russian ETC. Windows 10 now uses the original language to display, so Thai will be in Thai letters, Russian in Russian letters etc.. I wish...
  7. How to change the language to English?

How to change the language to English?: Last month, I brought a laptop in China , which is Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Window 10 Chinese family version. I want to change the whole laptop's system to English. When I open the laptop, it's Chinese, I ask the worker to help me to change to English, they went to setting to...
  8. Cant change language to english

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant change language to english: Hello my friend I bought a new laptop here in japan But Cant change my language to english Also cant download language pack Pls need help,, 43090
  9. Problem with setting English language

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with setting English language: Hello Everyone, As I travel to the north on regular occasions, I bought a Lenovo G585 laptop in Spain, where I live. It had W.7.Home Premium installed in Spanish. I have now upgraded it with the free installation of W.10. As with all things downloaded in Spain, there is...
  10. language: japanese to english

in Windows 10 Support
    language: japanese to english: I accidentally upgrade my windows 8 to windows 10 while in Japanese I want everything back in English I already tick regional language ,language settings and system locale my clock settings and keyboard are fine now but the system language is still in Japanese.. [img]...