Windows 10: Recovering display language English

Discus and support Recovering display language English in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I am aware that this is a topic on different threads. My laptop has windows 10 home build 1803 with English (US) as the default display... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Pozzie, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Pozzie Win User

Recovering display language English

Hi

I am aware that this is a topic on different threads.

My laptop has windows 10 home build 1803 with English (US) as the default display language. Today I added French as the display language using the instructions on settings. It worked (though gave me grief as the keyboard layout changed from QWERTY to the French equivalent (AZERY or equiv). The language was useful for an essay.

Now I want to go back to English: but cannot. Click: Settings, Time and Language, Region and Language, Display Language - English (US) - all is ok. BUT, the page does not hold English(US) and resets back to French. There is no "Select as default" key. Restart doesn't help.

There is "Add another language" key and a list of languages but ENGLISH (US) is shaded out and cannot be selected. I have tried to load English (UK) but nothing happenend, even though it went through the motions.

If I click on Extra settings for date, time and region ("Parametres de date, d'heure et regionaux supplementaires) there are only subsets for time and region - not language (whereas on another computer there is a section on language).

Queries:

If Win 10 HOME does not allow alternative languages, why was the addition of French accepted - OR does it mean that I have changed languages not added another. There is only one language allowed and that now is French?

If so (ie only 1 language is allowable) , how can I change language back to English? [ Please not that + add a language did not work - see above]

Will system restore work?

Thanks

:)

Pozzie, Jul 5, 2018
  2. Pozzie Win User

Hi

I am aware that this is a topic on different threads.

My laptop has windows 10 home build 1803 with English (US) as the default display language. Today I added French as the display language using the instructions on settings. It worked (though gave me grief as the keyboard layout changed from QWERTY to the
    French equivalent (AZERY or equiv). The language was useful for an essay.

Now I want to go back to English: but cannot. Click: Settings, Time and Language, Region and Language, Display Language - English (US) - all is ok. BUT, the page does not hold English(US) and resets back to French. There is no "Select as default" key.
    Restart doesn't help.

There is "Add another language" key and a list of languages but ENGLISH (US) is shaded out and cannot be selected. I have tried to load English (UK) but nothing happenend, even though it went through the motions.

If I click on Extra settings for date, time and region ("Parametres de date, d'heure et regionaux supplementaires) there are only subsets for time and region - not language (whereas on another computer there is a section on language).

Queries:

If Win 10 HOME does not allow alternative languages, why was the addition of French accepted - OR does it mean that I have changed languages not added another. There is only one language allowed and that now is French?

If so (ie only 1 language is allowable) , how can I change language back to English? [ Please note that + add a language did not work - see above]

Will system restore work?

Thanks

Pozzie, Oct 29, 2018
  3. RFC3514 Win User
    Tooltips displayed in the wrong language

Although my version of Windows is set to English and the GPU-Z "Tooltip Language" appears as "System Default (English (United Kingdom))", the tooltips are appearing in the language corresponding to my system locale (or possibly keyboard layout), not the actual system language. I frequently change the keyboard layout and date format (to match the clients I'm working for and the language I'm writing in), but the system language never changes (and software is supposed to run in that language).

I can manually select "English (United States)", but this basically makes it impossible for me to select the "correct" language (i.e., UK English), because it doesn't appear in the list (other than as "system default" - but is then ignored). Obviously it makes no difference to me if it's in UK or US English, but people with other language combinations might have a problem.

It seems the routine that populates the language list in the options is (correctly) determining the system language, but the routine that actually generates the tooltips is (incorrectly) reading the system locale instead of language.

RFC3514, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Pozzie Win User

Hi BartDee

Problem is, there is no clickable "choose language" step.. There is "clock, language, region" then there is drop down menu to choose a display language, but after that there is no "select" or "default" or "apply" or similar. So yes I can arrow into Eng
    (US) on the drop down but the selection doesn't stick and as soon as I leave that page, the dropdown reverts to French.

Pozzie, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

1. Recovering display language English - Similar Threads - Recovering display language

2. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove Windows Display Language: English United States: Hi.How do I remove English United States as a display language? English United States is not listed as a keyboard, as my region, or in any other visible Windows settings. However, I've got English United Kingdom and English United States as my two display languages. I've...
  3. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove Windows Display Language: English United States: Hi.How do I remove English United States as a display language? English United States is not listed as a keyboard, as my region, or in any other visible Windows settings. However, I've got English United Kingdom and English United States as my two display languages. I've...
  4. Remove Windows Display Language: English United States

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Why Arabic language is displaying while my default language is English?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why Arabic language is displaying while my default language is English?: Hello All,I have one issue that my windows keep mixing Arabic and English together somehow, even I chose English to be my default language.I added Arabic Language in order to add it to my keyboard then this issue came up, I removed Arabic from my settings but still my windows...
  6. Why Arabic language is displaying while my default language is English?

Why Arabic language is displaying while my default language is English?: Hello All,I have one issue that my windows keep mixing Arabic and English together somehow, even I chose English to be my default language.I added Arabic Language in order to add it to my keyboard then this issue came up, I removed Arabic from my settings but still my windows...
  7. I can't change the Windows display language to English

I can't change the Windows display language to English: Last year I bought a laptop in China and I cannot change the system language to English because the Windows display language has only one option which is Chinese. I can add other input languages but the system language cannot be changed. Thus, all My computer, Control Panel,...
  8. British english as display language but hidden from the language menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    British english as display language but hidden from the language menu: Hi I recently downloaded windows 10 for my pc and I'm still trying to get through some settings and change them depending on what I like. One of them which I can't seem to find the answer online is if I can have my display language set to (i.e. british english) but "hiding...
  9. Can't change the display language from Chinese to English

Can't change the display language from Chinese to English: Hi savvy tech guys and girls, I just bought a brand new HP OMEN 17 in China and no surprise everything is in Chinese. But no matter what I do, I can't seem to change the display language to English. What I have done: 1. I have downloaded an English language pack. 2. I...
  10. Windows Display Language Changed from English(India) to English(United States)

Windows Display Language Changed from English(India) to English(United States): Hey I have a OEM Windows 10 Home Single Language and my Windows Display Language has been changed after May Update 1903 . from English(India) to English(United States) [ATTACH]I have upgraded my pc from October Update(1809) to May Update (1903) using Windows Update...