Windows 10: Recovering files from laptop HDD after repeated BSOD errors

Discus and support Recovering files from laptop HDD after repeated BSOD errors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I am seeking support in recovering some files off what I am assuming is a failing/near death hard drive. I've tinkered with and built computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thecalmc, Jun 29, 2019.

1. thecalmc Win User

Recovering files from laptop HDD after repeated BSOD errors

Hello,

I am seeking support in recovering some files off what I am assuming is a failing/near death hard drive. I've tinkered with and built computers my whole life but am far from an IT expert and am a bit out of my depth.

About a week ago my laptop (ASUS P-series P2540UA-AB51, 1 TB HDD, Windows 10) starting crashing somewhat frequently, always with different error codes. Eventually, it booted straight into Windows Recovery Environment. The only options to choose are "troubleshoot" or "turn off PC." None of the troubleshooting options worked, or would even execute. After trying to use a flash drive as a recovery disk and any other workaround google gave me, which all failed, I tried removing the hard drive to plug it into a working computer to recover at least my personal files.

All I really care about is getting certain documents /photos/game files that my silly self never put into cloud storage.

I have the HDD removed and in an enclosure. When I plug it in to a different laptop, the drive shows up, is recognized as "D Drive" starts loading everything on it, but after roughly 3 minutes or if I try to enter specific folders, the drive disappears completely. I'm doing this on a new computer and have tried using both USB slots.

What could be causing this to happen? If the HDD is showing up... that means it isn't corrupted right? Or at least, this data is recoverable? Do I have any other recourse to save the contents of the hard drive? Am I just doing something wrong?

Thank you very much for the help in advance.

:)

thecalmc, Jun 29, 2019
  2. Kem Mon Win User

unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Macazine Win User
    Recover files from Flash drive

According to me, the best flash drive recovery software which i have used and recovered files easily. It is very easy to use and within few steps you can recover data from flash drive. Recover Corrupt Flash Drive Mac | | Bill Hoyer Systems

Macazine, Jun 29, 2019
  4. Kursah Win User

BSOD - Registry Error

Your BSOD code is 0X000000051

Here's the Google search I did for it: https://www.google.com/search?q=0x0...j5.399j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

There is a hotfix available that might help, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/810558

This thread makes a few good suggestions too: http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-hel...dows-7-pro-sp1-registry-error-0x00000051.html

+1 to listing your full system specs, OS version, etc. I did only look at your BSOD log file.

Run a Diskchk /R (I know you already ran one, so you can skip this)

Run SFC /SCANNOW

Report back.

Kursah, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Recovering files from laptop HDD after repeated BSOD errors - Similar Threads - Recovering files laptop

2. Repeated BSOD with Error in Dump File Creation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeated BSOD with Error in Dump File Creation: Hello! I built a pc around a month ago, and it consistently crashes. The computer will enter a BSOD which has the error code "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" and then on restart I will be stuck in bios infinitely until I press the power button. It happens more frequently when I am...
  3. Repeated BSOD with Error in Dump File Creation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repeated BSOD with Error in Dump File Creation: Hello! I built a pc around a month ago, and it consistently crashes. The computer will enter a BSOD which has the error code "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION" and then on restart I will be stuck in bios infinitely until I press the power button. It happens more frequently when I am...
  4. Repeated disconnecting from WIFI and repeated BSOD with various error code after quite some...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repeated disconnecting from WIFI and repeated BSOD with various error code after quite some...: My laptop, HP 14s with intel i3 gen 7 has repeated BSOD following troubleshooting after repeated disconnected WIFI, starts recently around June 8-10 and continuing now. Disconnect usually occurs while playing online videogames that's as far as I know, and BSOD happened with...
  5. Recovering from lost HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovering from lost HDD: Have lost the hard drive on my laptop and can no longer open Windows 10. If I replace the HDD with an SSD is it possible to reinstall Windows without purchasing a new version? Have read articles suggesting it is possible but don't want to waste money or time trying to...
  6. I need to recover files from a raw hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need to recover files from a raw hdd: I have a raw hdd and i need to recover all the data on it. Could you recommend me a data recovery program that makes a deep scan to the disk? Thank you submitted by /u/Rabahpro [link] [comments]...
  7. Various BSODS after laptop dropped....no memory or HDD errors?

Various BSODS after laptop dropped....no memory or HDD errors?: Hey all - I've got a laptop I am working on for a friend with Win10 that has various BSODs at random. The owner tells me it was dropped awhile back and has been doing it since. It's an HP Envy x360 convertible laptop. I've let Memtest86 go for a zillion passes and it came...
  8. Recover Data from Laptop HDD

Recover Data from Laptop HDD: Hello I have a Lenovo Laptop , with an internal HDD drive of 1 TB . Now i have a problem with it , it's no longer working , when i enter the BIOS setup to check , it shows me HDD ," not detected " , and sometimes yes " Detected " and i can see the name of my HDD. I...
  9. Recovering Data from HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Data from HDD: I have a HDD from a laptop that died. The laptop died because of a power issue it did not crash and the HDD should not have been affected. I removed the HDD from the laptop to recover the files. The laptop was running windows 7. I've installed the HDD on my windows 10...
  10. Recover files from a bricked laptop

Recover files from a bricked laptop: So, I've using my laptop for my studies for over a couple years now, without using an internet on it at all for about a year. Recently I've connected to the network and it started downloading the updates. Now it's stuck on automatic recovery: pressing continue will restart...