Windows 10: Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.

Discus and support Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Yes. I have searched and searched and have not yet found the solution. in 2013, I purchased a Toshiba laptop with windows 8 on it. At the time, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by k9sar, Oct 25, 2018.

1. k9sar Win User

Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.

Yes. I have searched and searched and have not yet found the solution.

in 2013, I purchased a Toshiba laptop with windows 8 on it. At the time, I made a recovery USB as recommended and squirreled it away for safekeeping. Since then, I took advantage of the Windows 10 upgrade and have installed several applications such as MS Office and several things for school. I have also taken every update that Microsoft has rolled out, even when I had to fix things afterwards.

Within the past month, the laptop has experienced lockups and performance issues. The event log indicated that I was starting to get disk errors. Using chkdsk /r, I was able to prolong the life of the disk until I was able to buy a new one (at the time, the problem was hangs and slowdowns but it would still boot to Windows).

Now the issue.

The next time I attempted to boot, I received a message of "Boot device not found". I am unable to get anywhere other than into the bios. The bios recognizes the hard drive. I have tried several 'fixes' including changing bios settings (for boot mode and secure boot), chkdsk, bootmgr commands, etc.

I had been fairly diligent about backing up my personal files to a WD Passport external drive so I am not concerned about those but it turns out that the WD backup does not include system files and other applications.... just items from Users and below.

I purchased another laptop (I was trying to avoid this) because the failed Toshiba was the only computer in my home for 4 people. From the new laptop (a Dell latitude w/ Win 10 home), I even tried to create a recovery USB and boot the Toshiba from that. I got into the recovery menus but the selection "Startup Repair" failed. The only other viable option looked like to recover the device from the recovery USB. I did not like this option since it would be like illegally copying my Dell Windows 10 version and putting it onto the Toshiba. I tried this anyway and the recovery ran for several minutes and ended with a report of "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made". I am assuming that this is due to the recovery USB coming from a different laptop.

I have searched extensively and all the recommended solutions seem to be for people who have magic systems that can create bootable images from a device that that can't boot or who somehow received product installation CDs with their original purchase (which is a thing of the WAY past).

At this point, I have a laptop without a hard drive (the Toshiba), a hard drive that fails to boot (a Toshiba drive), a new hard drive (a Seagate to replace the failed Toshiba drive), and no way to put the operating system (Windows 10) back on it so it can be used. On my failed hard drive, there is a copy of my operating system but I can't get at it other than to look at files when I hookup the Toshiba drive via usb adapter and plug it into my new laptop.

I just need to get this laptop back in operation and I hope there is a way you can either tell me exactly how to get my OS from my failed toshiba drive onto the new Seagate drive or how to get an installable version of windows 10 to replace the one that will not recover without dropping another hundred dollars at the store.

Please help.

:)

k9sar, Oct 25, 2018
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot. :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Oct 25, 2018
  3. topgundcp Win User
    How does Windows boot to advanced recovery option e.g. command prompt?

- that gives me a 454 'Unexpected error' This tells me that the BCD is partially corrupted.

The commands: shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
    or: %SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c reagentc /boottore&shutdown /r /f /t 00
    should boot into Recovery if everything is configured correctly.
    FYI, If Windows is configured correctly:
    1. If Reagentc is disabled, you still can get into Recovery but with limited options.
    2. If Reagentc is enabled, you'll get all options.
    3. If you boot Windows using Recovery USB stick, You'll get into Recovery with couple of options missing.

Here's my suggestion if you want to try:
    OPTION 1: Will save the trouble of re-install Windows.

1. Download the image of my first 3 partitions (450MB Recovery, 100 MB EFI partition, and 16MB unformatted primary)
      EFI_Boot-00-00.7z - Google Drive
    2. Run Macrium and restore the image from step 1, overwriting your existing 1st three partitions, leaving C alone.
    3. Delete the 490MB Recovery partition.
    4. From Macrium, run fix boot problems.
    5. Reboot. Open Admin command prompt then run Reagentc /info to make sure that it is enabled. If not, enable it.
      if failed to enable, reboot and try again.
    OPTION 2: Assuming you've already had Windows backup with Macrium.

1. Wipe out the first 5 parttiions. (450MB, 100MB, 16MB, C Drive, 480MB)
    2. Fresh install Windows 10
    3. Restore C drive from backup image, run fix boot problems
    4. repeat step 5 from OPTION 1 above.

topgundcp, Oct 25, 2018
  4. scraff Win User

Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot.

My pc won´t boot Windows 10 from USB/DVD

So I wanted to change from my Windows 10 x32 bits to 64x. I downloaded the Mediacreationtool and used it in both a USB and a DVD. Tried used the usb, the disk and both at the same time but they won´t boot.

I have a P7H55-M motherboard, the BIOS is updated and configured to boot first DVD, second usb and third SATA.

So if someone could help me it´d be great.

scraff, Oct 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Recovering laptop with failed harddrive, unusable recovery USB and machine won't boot. - Similar Threads - Recovering laptop failed

2. Laptop/windows10/Recovery/usb-boot/no pc!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop/windows10/Recovery/usb-boot/no pc!: I've a Asus X510UA had win10 home but tried install pro no good was recycled volume software. My LT ended up w/BSOD I ended up formatting hdd but no pc only Droid phone how to get win10 home clean install also have otg and flash? Can someone pls help with this\ I've tried...
  3. Win10 won't boot; all recover/reset attempts fail

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win10 won't boot; all recover/reset attempts fail: I have a Windows 10 activated hard drive that was credit online from Windows 7.It doesn't boot anymore, and all of the tools that come up during Diagnostics have not fixed the problem. I've gone into the command prompt and followed instructions to fix the m b r and the boot...
  4. Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Failed to reset laptop with USB recovery drive: Trying to reset my lenovo Y700. Created a recovery drive on a flash drive, booted from it to the reset tool. Tried reseting with "Just remove my files" option, failed with the following message "There was a problem reseting your PC.No changes were made." Tried resetting...
  5. How to Recover Harddrive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Recover Harddrive: My Harddrive broke and I need my files, I connected my Harddrive to another laptop to try to open it. Im trying to recover the files by data recovery yet its locked by bitlocker and I have no idea about the code or password to open it. Is there any other way to fix this....
  6. Laptop continually boots into recovery mode. Cannot recover.

Laptop continually boots into recovery mode. Cannot recover.: Hello, Last night I put my laptop to sleep and closed the screen. This morning when I woke up, my laptop booted weirdly I presume into recovery mode asking me what keyboard language to use. It then presents me with 6 different recovery options; Startup Repair, UEFI...
  7. Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover

in Windows 10 Support
    Boots directly into Windows Recovery but won't recover: Just a few days ago I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 1903 (i.e., deleted all existing partitions from within the installer and let it proceed using the entire disk). I've had a couple of failed boots since then where it hangs on the lock screen and won't show the...
  8. USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB drives becoming unusable- how to recover: Hi Ive had an issue over the years, where somehow a flash drive will become unusable and not even visible to the system. It will either show up or not show up on Disk Management console. sometimes i can run DISKPART and use CLEAN to recover it. other times diskpart will...
  9. Unable to boot into OS/bootable usb/harddrive after failed installatio

Unable to boot into OS/bootable usb/harddrive after failed installatio: Greetings everyone, I have a dell inspiron 7000 and recently reinstalled windows 10 into my laptop after I received a system thread exception not handled error with a bootable usb. After painstakingly spending a whole day (10 hours) I succeeded in restoring my laptop with...
  10. USB recovery boot drive won't boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    USB recovery boot drive won't boot: I wasn't sure which forum to put this into. I created a backup image on a usb hard drive. I wanted to be able to restore it using a usb recovery thumb drive. I used the create usb recovery tool and created the recovery flash drive. When I try to boot from the flash drive I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to rebuild dell latitude laptop after failed harddrive windows 10

2. dell laptop wont start and usb and disk drives are unusable